Pushing

• Please log in to reply
173 replies to this topic

#151 mike mayday

mike mayday

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:37 AM

Actually, I'm not really for a running limit myself, it was very annoying both in GTA and Morrowind (never played D3), but I think adding encumbrance would add a bit of a good challenge to the game, forcing the player to choose his equipment more carefully. It's just a suggestion though, so I'm not going to argue about it, you still have a lot of work to do anyway. ;)

#152 sparhawk

sparhawk

Repository Manager

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21776 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 09:48 AM

At which point the guard jogs over and hacks them to death? ;)

Which guard? They can't follow you everywhere.
Gerhard

#153 Vadrosaul

Vadrosaul

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 01:12 PM

If you are talking about encumberance then the more loot that you carry should reduce your movement speed as well. The PC should also have the option to put down his bag of loot silently, gently laying it down, not having to throw it like in Thief 1/2.
Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

#154 ZylonBane

ZylonBane

• PipPip
  • 415 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 01:46 PM

You guys seem to be very afraid of making the game difficult, whis I find saddening.

Spoken like someone who's utterly failed to think the matter through. Making a game difficult is trivial. Making a game FUN is not.

People who approach computer games as some sort of test of their manhood instead of a source of entertainment are a bit broken in the head, IMHO.

#155 demagogue

demagogue

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5475 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 02:16 PM

The PC should also have the option to put down his bag of loot silently, gently laying it down, not having to throw it like in Thief 1/2.

*psst* By default in T1/2, the "r" key drops an inventory item quietly down without throwing it.
I hope I have not shaken your world with this revelation (or did you already know this?)

Edited by demagogue, 24 June 2006 - 02:24 PM.

Posted Image

#156 mike mayday

mike mayday

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 02:25 PM

Well, what else can be fun in a stealth game other than a challenge? :) Enough about that though. It's not like it won't be impossible to implement after the first official release.

#157 Vadrosaul

Vadrosaul

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 03:09 PM

*psst* By default in T1/2, the "r" key drops an inventory item quietly down without throwing it.
I hope I have not shaken your world with this revelation (or did you already know this?)

Yeah I know about the drop key :rolleyes: , but that never gently laid items down. If you 'r' dropped an item on a hard surface it would cause a big sound, so it wasn't much better than throwing, in fact throwing would be better in some cases because then the sound would not be right at your position.
Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

#158 Dunedain

Dunedain

• PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 04:50 AM

oddity, you aren't working that much on the dark mod any more? Arggh! The quality of oddity's modeling is just excellent, something not often seen in any mod, it has really enhanced the look of the mod. It would be a loss to not have him working on the project. :(

#159 Arumakani

Arumakani

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 05:45 AM

I'm non technical and hence slightly naive. Is it possible for those models of the Thief to actually be in game. You know the one of the Thief holding the Bow...
ZylonBane's confession about himself:
"What can I say, I'm a jerk. A three times all American Jerk, from Jerksville, Kentucky. Yee Haw"

#160 Dram

Dram

Disco Inferno

• Campaign Dev
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7463 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 06:43 AM

Oddity is not working on the mod so much as he used to due to RL, so yeah. He still will make one or two models every now and then, but yeah. In any case, RL comes first on anyone's list right?

#161 Arumakani

Arumakani

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 07:59 AM

So can those 3 models of the Thief actually be used in game? The renders that is.

http://forums.thedar...-1109789155.jpg
http://forums.thedar...-1109789502.jpg
http://forums.thedar...-1109801299.jpg

Edited by Arumakani, 30 June 2006 - 08:01 AM.

"What can I say, I'm a jerk. A three times all American Jerk, from Jerksville, Kentucky. Yee Haw"

#162 mike mayday

mike mayday

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 08:05 AM

High poly.

#163 Arumakani

Arumakani

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 08:11 AM

So it'd be too difficult to do?

#164 New Horizon

New Horizon

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13881 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 08:11 AM

So can those 3 models of the Thief actually be used in game? The renders that is.

http://forums.thedar...-1109789155.jpg
http://forums.thedar...-1109789502.jpg
http://forums.thedar...-1109801299.jpg

The Thief model will be ingame eventually, as we have to swap out the doom marine model that is currently in its place. The model is used for reflections and although it looks strange if you use it with a first person setup, player shadow. We're not going to put a lot of time into supporting player shadow, and it's turned off by default...but you can still try it out if you wish.

#165 Arumakani

Arumakani

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 08:17 AM

Will do Timothy. I really like the look of thos models. Oddity is very talented. It reminds me of a mix of Garrett, Robin Hood and a ninja.

BTW, which model is actually going to be used?

Edited by Arumakani, 30 June 2006 - 08:27 AM.

#166 Komag

Komag

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3279 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 10:34 AM

The Thief model will be ingame eventually, as we have to swap out the doom marine model that is currently in its place. The model is used for reflections and although it looks strange if you use it with a first person setup, player shadow. We're not going to put a lot of time into supporting player shadow, and it's turned off by default...but you can still try it out if you wish.

I always play Doom 3 with player shadow on! It's so much more immersive to me to see my shadow move along the opposite wall from the light, or things like that. It's one of the strengths of TDS to me
Posted Image Posted Image

#167 oDDity

oDDity

Former Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6146 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 10:52 AM

THis is the verison that will be used in the game.

Posted Image
Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.
- Emil Zola

character models site

#168 Komag

Komag

Uber member

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3279 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 10:54 AM

Ah, excellent!
Posted Image Posted Image

#169 Arumakani

Arumakani

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 10:55 AM

Brillinat mate. Why not stay till the end of the development process? :(

The bow seems quit high on the back...

Edited by Arumakani, 30 June 2006 - 10:56 AM.

#170 demagogue

demagogue

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5475 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 11:13 AM

What about using the thief model as a stand-alone NPC?
(... just wondering as long as the topic is raised.)
Posted Image

#171 Dunedain

Dunedain

• PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 02:05 PM

A very nicely detailed model. :) Hmm, that would have to be modified for no face covering (with a greenish tinge to his right eye color) and a hooded long flowing black cloak for use as Garrett in FM's the accurate way he always looked in Thief and Thief 2. Other than that, it's looks just about ready to go for Thief FM's. :)

Edited by Dunedain, 01 July 2006 - 02:06 PM.

#172 bob_arctor

bob_arctor

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 839 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 03:05 PM

Which is NOT THE POINT OF THE DARK MOD COUGH COUGH LAWYERS. Ahem. :P

#173 New Horizon

New Horizon

Mod hero

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13881 posts

Posted 01 July 2006 - 03:16 PM

:) Ahhhhhhhh, everytime I see that model...it just makes me smile. It's just bloody awesome!

#174 Arumakani

Arumakani

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 02 July 2006 - 06:44 AM

I can't wait to animate it etc when the DarkMod is released.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users