The Dark Mod Forums

Prey Demo Out Now

Unstoppable

Well i'm playing it at almost 5 am here. Not the brightest idea. It has greatest immersion but can get creepy fast if you're afraid of aliens and shit like me. I wouldn't say i'm afraid to the point of running, I will face my fears. However I just quit the demo before it got ugly because I'm fixing to get some sleep. Goodluck to ya, let me know how you like the demo. Looking very nice so far, the voice acting is superb.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i'm playing it at almost 5 am here. Not the brightest idea. It has greatest immersion but can get creepy fast if you're afraid of aliens and shit like me. I wouldn't say i'm afraid to the point of running, I will face my fears. However I just quit the demo before it got ugly because I'm fixing to get some sleep. Goodluck to ya, let me know how you like the demo. Looking very nice so far, the voice acting is superb.

Yes, thought I would check it out too. Looks like they have done a wonderful job with the engine. :) Can't wait to see what improvements they may have made to the editor.

I just got done playing through it. I don't think it was that immersive (Doom 3 really creeped me out but I was just going through this very casually, sort of like I did with Painkiller) though the setting and story seen were pretty good. To me the game felt sort of like Doom 3 graphics meet Quake 1 gameplay with a few cool twists here and there like the gravity switches and the teleportals. The Spirit form I thought was a cheap trick though, it was just there to get through some barrier and press a switch, nothing we haven't seen before and not really all that interesting. Of course, in the full game it may be used better, the demo is quite short. Overall I think it's a nice game but I don't think I'll be buying it.

I fired it up on my laptop (Pentium M 1.4ghz, 1gig ram, GeForce Go FX5650 w128ram) and it's only just barely playable on lowest settings (5-15 fps). From what I played though (just beginning, till opening first door on the ship), it seems pretty cool!

It's using Doom 3 engine, but it must be taking it a few steps further because my laptop runs Doom 3 pretty smoothly (20-40 fps) on high settings!

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

That's very counter-intuitive, I wonder how it could be doing that. Have you tried Doom 3 recently? I've been playing it some these past few days

I just played it through on a 2ghz, 1gb and some geforce-thing on a laptop. Had some performance issues until I dropped the resolution to 800x600. (still graphics at high)

The game was awesome no matter the framedrops. Won't hesitate to buy when I get the money. :laugh:

Edited by Denny

Okay, I'm at home and I just finished playing through the demo on my desktop (runs a TON better than my lamo laptop).

I have to say, I'm impressed! I really liked messing with the gravity and jumping through the portals. (That round and round and round one was especially trippy).

But the most crazy moment of all was when I was in this little room and saw this interesting little rounded rock in a small display case, and then I went through another portal and was disoriented for a few seconds, then WHAMO!!!

I don't want to spoil it, but I suddenly got a massive hit of something like vertigo but not quite the same. THAT was a great moment in gaming for me.

I'll probably get the full game at some point. Probably not right when it comes out, but maybe in a few months or so.

Hey Komag just wants to tip my hat to ya. Keep of Metal and gold is a gem on the internet.

Anyway i'm playing with this setup and it's running fine. What I do is turn the anti aliasing, and atmospheric filtering off on my nvidia card. As well as putting the settings to highest performance. Game still looks fine and runs faster. Maybe you could do that on your labtop Denny.

My computer:

Amd Athlon xp 2100+ (1.73ghz) but when compared to a pentium 4 it matches a 2.1ghz

MSI K7n2g Motherboard

Geforce 4 ti 4800 SE(128mb) AGP x8

1gig d100 DDR RAM

40gig 7200 rmp 8 mb cache hard drive

I'm right below the recommend specs. However it's all about combining the best features when building your desktop. I worked for this baby for like 3 months back in 2003 and it cost like 600$. You can build it now for like

500$

All those things up there. The agp 8x, hard drive speed, coupled with the processor, video card, and ram work great with doom 3 engine. Sounds like the labtop has a bottleneck if it's running at 5-15 fps. Try turning off anti-aliasing, atmospheric filtering, and putting the setting on the video card to "highest performance".

Hopefully your framerate will jump by at least 10-15 fps. Will comment as now I intend to descend to the Cherokee heritage and save the girl.

Edit:

Ok so I finished the prey demo. The tech they use is very nice. I give the immersion top notch also. However I just feel a lil disoriented after running around upside down and sideways as I type this. It was a lot of fun though playing the demo. If you got nothing to play then it would be a buy.

Edited by Unstoppable

FYI, it's "anisotropic" filtering :)

I just tried my laptop again, and suddenly I realized there are two more option screens under the Video tab - I didn't see the tabs on the left! So all those advanced option are there, and I turned off a few things, turned down a few more, and suddenly the game plays pretty smooth on my laptop with lowish settings all around.

I just tried my laptop again, and suddenly I realized there are two more option screens under the Video tab - I didn't see the tabs on the left! So all those advanced option are there, and I turned off a few things, turned down a few more, and suddenly the game plays pretty smooth on my laptop with lowish settings all around.

Ownage! That is one amazing thing about the Doom 3 engine. The most experience developers taylor games to work with a wide range of systems. It's up to the users though to tweak the settings andpull the most out of it!

That's why Blizzard North(Roper and crew has moved on to form www.flagshipstudios.com) tailored Diablo 2 and used Maya I think. They rendered the animations in 3d then used the 2d mode so you don't need a high end video card. Tricks of the industry lead to millions of copies being sold.

Tis why WoW is so successful. People flip the box and say, I can run this! Soon after they start learning and upgrading their systems, it's great :).

My cousins use to run Age of Empires 2 on pentium 1's. It's all about what can you do and how well does the engine allow you to do it.

Deus Ex 2 could of sold more if it didn't require the video card upgrade for the pixel shaders. As could have Thief Deadly Shadows.

Lastly if Deus Ex 2 and Thief 3 used already formed engines (Unreal Tournament 2003) it would of done a lot better, A LOT better. But hey what they did with Deadly Shadows was still very respectable. So sad that Ionstorm is gone now.

Edited by Unstoppable

Ownage! That is one amazing thing about the Doom 3 engine. The most experience developers taylor games to work with a wide range of systems. It's up to the users though to tweak the settings and pull the most out of it!

Age of Empires 2 can be run on Pentium 1's. As can Diablo 2 since they used 2d technology after rendering the animations from 3D. The best selling games run on a wide range of systems. (Age of Empires, Warcraft series, Diablo, Doom, etc)

To limit your audience the way Deus Ex 2 and Thief 3 did cuz of the video card requirements sucked. If they would of used the UT 2003 engine it would of sold at least 50,000 more.

Lastly if Deus Ex 2 and Thief 3 used already formed engines (Unreal Tournament 2003) it would of done a lot better, A LOT better. But hey what they did with Deadly Shadows was still very respectable. So sad that Ionstorm is gone now.

Umm, they did use the Unreal Engine actually, for both titles (UE 2.5, the UT2k3/2k4 version). They just managed to hack it up so bad it was unrecognisable and didn't even look nice anymore.

Actually they replaced so much stuff when writing the T3/DX2 engine that it is arguably incorrect to say it was using the Unreal engine. As I recall the only part of Unreal left was the editor, and even this had large parts of its functionality cut out.

The only FPS I personally like is Halo on all settings and Halo 2 on Legendary. I found Half Life really over-rated, same with Half Life 2.

ZylonBane's confession about himself:

"What can I say, I'm a jerk. A three times all American Jerk, from Jerksville, Kentucky. Yee Haw"

Just a question. Do you dislike the FPS genre as a whole or the game itself?

No need to explain why, I just wanna know that detail. :)

To be honest, I dislike the entire computer game industry. It's so stale and tedious, I no longer get any more than the faintest enjoyment, even from the couple of decent games they still manage to release every year.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Hey you're not alone on that one Oddity. That's why I shined light on the Prey demo. It's another FPS but it has an epic storyline this time. As well as themes that play into the real world. It's doing things different,and at least that's a step in the right direction.

Check this one out. www.hellgatelondon.com By Bill Roper and more former core developers of Blizzard North.(Makers of Diablo 1 and Diablo 2) It's an FPS/RPG.