The Dark Mod Forums

Anyone Looking Forward To STALKER ?

Arumakani

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D Just wondering whether most of these games with their own engines are moddable. That's all. OK I won't ask it again.

I think it's just a difference of opinion between those who develop, mod etc a game and a gamer. To me as a gamer, I just see the possibility of a Thief Mod or a Ninja style mod etc. I don't think of the technical stuff most of the time admittedly.

ZylonBane's confession about himself:

"What can I say, I'm a jerk. A three times all American Jerk, from Jerksville, Kentucky. Yee Haw"

Wow! Another shooter. Can't wait.

I'm guiessing from the chernobyl connection that mutants will be involved somewhere, and furthur extrapolating that you'll almost certainly have a variety of big guns with which to shoot them.

It makes me want to puke.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Wow! Another shooter. Can't wait.

I'm guiessing from the chernobyl connection that mutants will be involved somewhere, and furthur extrapolating that you'll almost certainly have a variety of big guns with which to shoot them.

It makes me want to puke.

At least fmo the description it doesn't sound that way. But we all know what promises mean, so I reserve my judgment until it's finally available.

Gerhard

To me as a gamer, I just see the possibility of a Thief Mod or a Ninja style mod etc.

I don't know why anybody would do a thief mod for it. After all, we are creating the darkmod right now. So when Stalker is released, they would have to start from scratch. And there are not THAT many fans who also can or want to create such a mod. Otherwise I would expect more developers showing up here helping us. And whats the point of splitting manpower in 20 different thief style mods, just to have it on 20 different engines?

Gerhard

This looks very promising though. COuld be extremely involving. A sort of FPS Oblivion, but with lighter inventory management etc.

"What can I say, I'm a jerk. A three times all American Jerk, from Jerksville, Kentucky. Yee Haw"

I don't know why anybody would do a thief mod for it. After all, we are creating the darkmod right now. So when Stalker is released, they would have to start from scratch. And there are not THAT many fans who also can or want to create such a mod. Otherwise I would expect more developers showing up here helping us. And whats the point of splitting manpower in 20 different thief style mods, just to have it on 20 different engines?

True, but as said before I'm looking at possiblity from the view of a gamer not a developer. I just didn't think like how you think about the technical, manpower etc side to it. As I've said before unfortunately the last 24 years or so, I've been a gamer and not a programmer/ designer and such. You on the otherhand know about all that side, so also know about the difficulties with it from a variety of factors. I'm only just starting in that sort of direction.

If you are talking about creating a full game, which a thief mod would be, it's not just a mod it's a TC. Then you can not disregard that aspect. Just look at all these aspiring anouncements on TTLG and how much of them are done. If you are talking about a thief style mod in a game that is done in a non-thief game, then you are talking about full game development. The term mod, is not really appropriate in my opinion, in such a case.

Gerhard

It is one of the laws of the universe that as soon as a new game is released, somebody has to suggest making a Thief mod for it. This has to be done based purely on the visual content of the released game, not through any technical analysis of its capabilities.

It is especially important that somebody does this by "announcing" such a mod on TTLG and trying to recruit large numbers of programmers and artists to implement their amazing idea.

It is one of the laws of the universe that as soon as a new game is released, somebody has to suggest making a Thief mod for it. This has to be done based purely on the visual content of the released game, not through any technical analysis of its capabilities.

It is especially important that somebody does this by "announcing" such a mod on TTLG and trying to recruit large numbers of programmers and artists to implement their amazing idea.

Like these guys. ;)

http://www.thieves-highway.com/main/index.php

Well, they have to start SOMEHWERE. :) I reserve my opinion until I see something more substantial though.

True, although it's best not put up a gallery at all until you have something substantial to show. Still, the stuff they've got is a whole lot better than the crap Unforeseen Consequences was calling "official screenshots".

:D The difference between gamers and tech-heads.

Hopefully with my learning the stuff you guys know, I'll understand what you guys are coming from.

Ahh...if only those poor, naive fools had the slightest idea how mcuh work it is and how much time it will take to make a good Thief mod, even when you have a bunch of talented members..

Having said that, I don't think any of us realised that either, I remember some incredble and optimistic estimates for completion back when we started.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Ahh...if only those poor, naive fools had the slightest idea how mcuh work it is and how much time it will take to make a good Thief mod, even when you have a bunch of talented members..

Having said that, I don't think any of us realised that either, I remember some incredble and optimistic estimates for completion back when we started.

I've tried to tell them what they're in for, and that they would be better off aiding an existing project...but they're not buying any of it...they've got it into their heads that they're going to start from scratch.

Looking forward to STALKER? At this point, barely. Stalker was originally going to be notable for two main things-- the amazingly realistic graphics, and the wide-open sandbox gameplay. Such things are now fairly commonplace. So it's going to have to get by on actually being GOOD.