The Dark Mod Forums

New Release: Darkradiant 0.5.1

DarkRadiant 0.5.1 is available from SourceForge:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.p...lease_id=434137

Fixes:

- Changing an entity keyvalue now sets the map status to changed so it can be saved

- Dragging a model now updates in realtime, rather than waiting for the drag to finish

- Textures should now display correctly on ASE models

- Application should not crash on Window 2000 due to the presence of global.xlink (which has been removed anyway).

Enhancements:

The huge right-click entity menu is GONE. Instead there is a context menu with options to add a light, model, entity and (eventually) a prefab at the current location. The selection of an entity uses a separate dialog with an alphabetical list of all entity classes (with typeahead search).

Great work Orb. :) I'm really enjoying the new menu.

One suggestion. Would it be possible to move all the lights out of the entities menu and drop them into their own menu under Add Light? It sent me for a loop initially that I could only add a normal light and then have to go into entities to select the type of light I actually wanted. :)

Otherwise, spectacular. Much more neat and tidy.

Also, can the textures menu be tidied up a bit too? In DarkRadiant, I can only load all of the darkmod textures, I can't select specific groups for faster viewing.

Sorry, one last idea. Could the light, entity and prefab menus have a search field or perhaps just the ability to press a letter to take you further down the list?

I know, I know. :) Too many new ideas.

I'm really liking where you're taking DarkRadiant orb. It's looking great.

One suggestion. Would it be possible to move all the lights out of the entities menu and drop them into their own menu under Add Light? It sent me for a loop initially that I could only add a normal light and then have to go into entities to select the type of light I actually wanted.

The way it works is that Add Entity gives you the complete list, while Add Light and Add Model just give you a quick path to two very common specific types of entity ("light" and "func_static"). I could theoretically add more hardcoded shortcuts like this (perhaps "Add moving light" or something), but I wouldn't want to go down the route of special-case subsearches.

Also, can the textures menu be tidied up a bit too? In DarkRadiant, I can only load all of the darkmod textures, I can't select specific groups for faster viewing.

A Doom 3-style media browser is on the to-do list.

Sorry, one last idea. Could the light, entity and prefab menus have a search field or perhaps just the ability to press a letter to take you further down the list?

Not sure what you mean - are you referring to a shortcut key with ALT?

I'm really liking where you're taking DarkRadiant orb. It's looking great.

Glad you share the vision. Hopefully I can prove wrong my own previous assertion that there is not a game level editor in existence that isn't unfriendly and bug-ridden.

Not sure what you mean - are you referring to a shortcut key with ALT?

Ha, never mind. It already does it. :) I just had to hilight the first entity in the list, and start typing. The little search window appeared and automatically jumped down to the entity I wanted. Perfect. :)

Ha, never mind. It already does it. :) I just had to hilight the first entity in the list, and start typing. The little search window appeared and automatically jumped down to the entity I wanted. Perfect. :)

The problem with the ambient lights not working in render mode. Is that something we will be able to fix, or is it more up Spog's alley? It might be a further deterent to beta mappers if they can't see the ambient lights properly rendered.

The problem with the ambient lights not working in render mode. Is that something we will be able to fix, or is it more up Spog's alley? It might be a further deterent to beta mappers if they can't see the ambient lights properly rendered.

I noticed that in doomed 1 of the 2 ambient lights is fucked. Ambientlight_nofalloff is screwed in that it renders a box over everything (the texture), while ambientlightnfo works fine. They are technically meant to be the same but yeah. Maybe this is the issue here too?

I will have a look into this. Initially I thought that the light texture was ignored, which would mean the functionality was missing from the renderer, but further tests reveal that some textures do work (lights/biground1 for instance). This is encouraging since it suggests that the code is already in place to handle this; hopefully it should be possible to recognise the ambientlight keyword as well.

I noticed that in doomed 1 of the 2 ambient lights is fucked. Ambientlight_nofalloff is screwed in that it renders a box over everything (the texture), while ambientlightnfo works fine. They are technically meant to be the same but yeah. Maybe this is the issue here too?

Yeah, that was likely because of me. I made a CVS update and accidentally messed it up...but if you delete the old ones and do a checkout, they should work fine again.

Good catch, I didn't notice that. Well, I just went through a bunch of trying things out with that "glitch" to try to see if the same fix for it can be applied to fix fog bleeding over edges, but it can't. Anyway, since the light is redundant and broken anyway, I removed it. If that's not okay with anyone, let me know and I'll revert it.