The Dark Mod Forums

New Release: Darkradiant 0.6.0

The latest version of DarkRadiant is now available at Sourceforge.

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=161727

Enhancements

* Model selector with preview

* Texture browser now has toggle to show all textures at a constant size

* New context menu option to convert brush selection into a func_static

* textures/common/collision is filtered out by Filter->Clips

Bugfixes

* Fixed segfault when loading certain ASE models that contained some submeshes with vertex colours and some without

* Fixed textures with mixed case names showing as "not found".

* Statics created from brushes now have origin key set correctly.

Very nice work on the model viewer Orb. :) Very nice indeed. I like the zoom capability.

One small question. Can the model view sections be give the ability to be resized? A huge complaint with the T3 model viewer and with the Doom 3 model viewer too, is that they are too small. Either a larger fixed size, or the ability to drag all 3 windows...much like in the Different Radiant setup options, would be perfect. :)

I like having a nice big window, like this for example.

post-3-1159559679_thumb.jpg

Making it resizable would require extra code, but I can easily base the size on the screen dimensions rather than a fixed 256-pixel square widget (actually I was going to do this anyway, but I forgot).

modelselectorsz8.th.jpg

This shows the dialog sized at 80% of screen dimensions and the preview at 40% of screen height square.

One other idea I had was to add a large pop-up window that would show the preview in a much larger size if you held down a mouse button (e.g. the middle one), which I might get round to if there is a reasonable way of doing this.

How did you change the size of the widget in that screenshot anyway? Is it a Photoshop job?

Making it resizable would require extra code, but I can easily base the size on the screen dimensions rather than a fixed 256-pixel square widget (actually I was going to do this anyway, but I forgot).

modelselectorsz8.th.jpg

This shows the dialog sized at 80% of screen dimensions and the preview at 40% of screen height square.

One other idea I had was to add a large pop-up window that would show the preview in a much larger size if you held down a mouse button (e.g. the middle one), which I might get round to if there is a reasonable way of doing this.

No worries if it's too much work to make it drag resizable. Just making the default size larger would be great. :)

I wouldn't bother with the popup stuff, the current implementation is perfect, with the exception of the default size. :) Blow it up some more, and that should be all that is needed.

Is there any place to change the size in a config file, or is that hard coded?

It is hardcoded at the moment. I have committed the 80/40 percent arrangement (I tried 50% but it was getting so large it dominated the dialog too much, with a negative impact on usability), which you can try out if you feel like compiling it -- you should now have all the necessary DLLs as they are in the Windows binary package.

It is hardcoded at the moment. I have committed the 80/40 percent arrangement (I tried 50% but it was getting so large it dominated the dialog too much, with a negative impact on usability), which you can try out if you feel like compiling it -- you should now have all the necessary DLLs as they are in the Windows binary package.

Cool. I'll wait for the next release. :) I don't have the software setup anymore since I had to reformat. The current version will work quite nicely until the next release. :) Unless the changes are just contained in a DLL that I could drop into my install and use.

Loving the skin chooser. :)

In relation to that, one last question. With the doom 3 editor, when you select an alternate skin...it's displayed in the model viewer, but does not show up in the render screen until you hit F3. With Dark Radiant, it shows up in the model viewer...but doesn't show up in the non-rendered or rendered view. I'm guessing the reworking of the render window will eventually lead to some tech sharing with the model view, so I'm wondering if it will be possible for us to have the 'alternate' skin appear in the render view 'with' and 'without' being rendered? I have no idea what would need to be done to accomplish that, or if it's even possible, but if it is...it would definitely be helpful for mappers. In T3Ed, it's nice to be able to see the correct skins regardless of the render mode.

WOW, I love this model viewer... as mentioned, lil bigger would be cool, and ability to render skins would also be cool (I can see myself easily forgetting if I've got the right skin on or not lol)...

Other than that, I love it... thanks heaps :)

While we're on DR, I've noticed a bug. When you apply a texture to a surface and are trying to get it to look right, if after doing an axial a couple of times (ie axial, then fit, then axial etc a few times) then try to undo, sometimes it locks up, and crashes out (losing what I've done).

Also, the autosave doesn't work - I assume your going to get to that eventually.

One other thing I'd like to see is the ability to choose a different texture size in the texture viewer ala gtk ie a % would be cool.

Thanks... awesome job.

BTW: Those models are fooking awesome, I was always disappointed with the thief models (and maps) but looking at these, its going to be amazing :D:D:D:D:D:D

Venus

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeonsStyleHD

Dark Mod Missions: Briarwood Manor - available here or in game

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

In relation to that, one last question. With the doom 3 editor, when you select an alternate skin...it's displayed in the model viewer, but does not show up in the render screen until you hit F3. With Dark Radiant, it shows up in the model viewer...but doesn't show up in the non-rendered or rendered view.

Well spotted, that's a bug. Actually I forgot to add code to set the "skin" parameter when you finish with the modelviewer and create a model. The fix is in SVN for the next release.

WOW, I love this model viewer... as mentioned, lil bigger would be cool, and ability to render skins would also be cool (I can see myself easily forgetting if I've got the right skin on or not lol)...

Eh? It does render skins - are you referring to the problem New Horizon mentioned above?

While we're on DR, I've noticed a bug. When you apply a texture to a surface and are trying to get it to look right, if after doing an axial a couple of times (ie axial, then fit, then axial etc a few times) then try to undo, sometimes it locks up, and crashes out (losing what I've done).

Very possibly, I would be surprised if undo did work correctly with texture alignment and other mathematical transformations.

Also, the autosave doesn't work - I assume your going to get to that eventually.

Can you be more specific? Does it just not do the save, or save to an unexpected place, or what?

One other thing I'd like to see is the ability to choose a different texture size in the texture viewer ala gtk ie a % would be cool.

You can choose a different pixel size if the "constant size" option is enabled. This can be configured in the Preferences dialog.

Eh? It does render skins - are you referring to the problem New Horizon mentioned above?

Yes I was referring to that but misread his message (ignore it) lol

Very possibly, I would be surprised if undo did work correctly with texture alignment and other mathematical transformations.

Ahh good... what triggers it, is when the texture warps out, ie it just smears all over the place and is just a mess of lines. Try to undo from there, and it crashes nearly every time.

Can you be more specific? Does it just not do the save, or save to an unexpected place, or what?

Well, I was working on my map (called mansion-venus). It created an autosave mansion-venus.autosave.map. It did this once, and once only. After that, I changed the name of the map file to Rivertown, and since then, it has not created an autosave, and the above autosave hasn't changed since. There is no autosave.map file in the map folder. I have autosave selected in preferences to autosave every 5 minutes, but its just not doing it.

You can choose a different pixel size if the "constant size" option is enabled. This can be configured in the Preferences dialog.

I cant seem to find that in preferences. I tried the different quality settings (I assumed they related to quality not size) but they make no difference in size. Texture scale is set to 0.5, but that doesn't seem to do anything to textures.

Venus

I have an eclectic YouTube channel making videos on a variety of games. Come and have look here:

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18980-fan-mission-briarwood-manor-by-neonsstyle-first-mission-6082017-update-16/

The uniform texture size option is the toolbar toggle button on the textures window. You can change the size that they resize to in the Preferences window. (I should know, I implemented it. :))

I'm pretty sure there was also a percentage change option (for the non-uniform-sizes display) next to it.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

The uniform texture size option is the toolbar toggle button on the textures window. You can change the size that they resize to in the Preferences window. (I should know, I implemented it. :))

I'm pretty sure there was also a percentage change option (for the non-uniform-sizes display) next to it.

Ahh there it is :D thanks... no, there's only one button there (vers 0.6.0), but that would be a good add.

Thanks... awesome editor, I'm in love with it lol

Venus