The Dark Mod Forums

Vladimir - Application - Modeling + Animating [closed]

New Horizon

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The original templates are not true to the style of the models that are actually in our game now, so the best templates are the citywatch for the male, and the pagan female for the female.

I did my best to collect their respective textures and put them into their own folders, when you open them you will get a few missing texture errors - just point them to the folder they're already in, and if they're not there, then it doesn't matter anyway.

I sent Squawks the ones without textures - I just cleaned up the Character Templates folder on the FTP tonight and put together a zip of the proper templates with their respective texures, in a spurt of DarkMod productivity when I should really be asleep - assignment due tomorrow :)

The current templates

Handy screenshots of the current templates

Old templates

Someone document this somewhere... it's 4am again... zs4ou8;t *collapses at keyboard*

Currently we use the D3 rigging for facial animations--don't know if it includes talking or not.

It's important all our regular AI share the same skeleton so they can share animations, so keep that in mind. Ascottk is the one to talk to about that.

Ok, I found the old wip nobleman model--do you have an email I could send it to?

ok. i got the mesh. ill completely rebuild the mesh from scratch, using this model as a ref thats all, this one is not very optimized.

so i want to model him completely without having to log back in here, and do this back and forth. i also think mitten hands wont cut back on the poly count much. this guy has 5 fingers and less than 5500 tris.

its at 5489 tri with no hat model. im going to budget for 5500 i can go less. but ill leave some head room [so 5 fingers plus hat at 5500 tris. ]

will he be talking? will he need seperate eyeballs [he doesnt have any right now.

thanks.

... and thats how i saved Christmas. true story.

We want all the models to be consistant, so please use the hands provided (we spent many weeks debating whether we should use mitten hands or not, so we don't want to reopen that kettle of fish). ;)

As for how to rig the head, Ascottk can answer that better than I.

I've only been rigging the upper & lower lids, all of the brows, the jaw, neck, and the head of course. Here's the rigs I've been using:

http://208.49.149.118/TheDarkMod/models/In...m_head-rigs.zip

The mouth joints are too confusing to sort out so I haven't touched those yet.

There's no separate eyeballs because they were not utilized in d3 & I wouldn't know how they'd work.

ok. i see how you rig it.

you must be following D3 specific procedures for doing it this way?

the head and body and hat need to be separate objects. so its safe to say ill out the head on a separate uvw map, the body on a map, and hat on their respective map.

the head and body and hat need to be separate objects. so its safe to say ill out the head on a separate uvw map, the body on a map, and hat on their respective map.

Yes, that would be good. The head should be cut near the base of the neck, where it can be hidden by the collar.

Ascottk will be able to help you with the skeleton that we're using for all our human AI.

yup. i saw the joint set up.

he had mout set up too. so that means he will be talking. i already modeled the cage of the head, i just need to confirm that im giving him 2 strips of teeth [top bottom row] before i start sculpting the hig rez mesh for the normal map.

yup. i saw the joint set up.

he had mout set up too. so that means he will be talking. i already modeled the cage of the head, i just need to confirm that im giving him 2 strips of teeth [top bottom row] before i start sculpting the hig rez mesh for the normal map.

I haven't been using teeth but I've been tempted to add them along with a tongue. Basically steal those parts from a d3 head.

I'm pretty sure the D3 heads have both sets of teeth.

TDM heads don't have them . . . yet . . .

We might as well start adding them to any new heads, though, don't you think? That way they're available for use if/when we want them.

We might as well start adding them to any new heads, though, don't you think? That way they're available for use if/when we want them.

Yup. I can do the heads I've been working on after I get the rigging issues resolved.

they're like 8 polys each strip.

No prob B) . . . at least they shouldn't be . . .

We prefer photoreferences when possible. There's no specific bank or anything--we just scour the internet for useful images. You don't have to worry too much about the textures if you'd rather not--as long as the model has a decen uvmap I can create textures for it.