• Please log in to reply
183 replies to this topic

#176 Schatten

Schatten

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 05:48 PM

That's indeed one of the best reason for saving anywhere. I think Springheel's analogy pretty much nails it.

That's the crux of the issue. To advocates of limited saving in all its forms, the game is more important than Real Life.

Oh please. That sounds more like propaganda than an argument.

#177 kohan69

kohan69

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 07:39 PM

I know my missions will be bookmark saves + nap/stealthy situation save, and if the cheat cvar is enabled, the player will randomly die, and a messagebox saying "STOP CHEATING" will come up. I'm sure ZylonBane will not play my missions :)

now PLEASE!! could we get back on topic?

To Developers:
How/when will AI compare notes?

Edited by kohan69, 16 January 2007 - 07:40 PM.

#178 Vadrosaul

Vadrosaul

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:33 PM

I dislike save zones/checkpoints for a few reasons:

- Even professional mapmakers tend to place half their points in poor places.
- It breaks the game down based on an exterior mechanic.
- Computer crashes/game freezes and the possibility of corrupt save files.
Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!

#179 ascottk

ascottk

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1813 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:41 PM

Ahem!

I dislike save zones/checkpoints for a few reasons:

- Even professional mapmakers tend to place half their points in poor places.
- It breaks the game down based on an exterior mechanic.
- Computer crashes/game freezes and the possibility of corrupt save files.

now PLEASE!! could we get back on topic?

* edited for emphasis * (besides, I'd rather not have ZylonBane be encouraged to argue his point of view . . . )

#180 Gildoran

Gildoran

Team Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2476 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 10:42 PM

if the cheat cvar is enabled, the player will randomly die, and a messagebox saying "STOP CHEATING" will come up.

What makes you think such a cvar would be detectable to the map? ;)

#181 kohan69

kohan69

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:18 AM

Is there any ai behavoir of NPC vs NPC, suhc as pegans VS hammerguards ? Most games that implement it do it poorly imho

#182 Gildoran

Gildoran

Team Member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 2476 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 12:31 AM

Yes, there is such behavior. As far as I understand, Ishtvan has added code that allows a mapper to set up several "teams", and control how each team regards eachother, possibly changing team relations during gameplay. (although D3 had "teams", it didn't fully implement them)

#183 sparhawk

sparhawk

Repository Manager

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21776 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 03:16 AM

I know my missions will be bookmark saves + nap/stealthy situation save, and if the cheat cvar is enabled, the player will randomly die, and a messagebox saying "STOP CHEATING" will come up. I'm sure ZylonBane will not play my missions :)

It takes about 5 minutes to fix this in the SDK and recompile it. No problem. :)
Gerhard

#184 slavatrumpevitch

slavatrumpevitch

• PipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 17 January 2007 - 09:52 PM

Never mind all this nonsense about Ai realism.
The single most unrealistic thing about games is the fact that you get multiple lives.
The first thing that needs to be fixed is, that when you get killed,. the game immediately kicks you out to desktop and uninstalls itself, and leaving it so you have to reinstall Windows and the game, and then start from the beginning again..
There's no point making AI realistic, when it doesn't matter anyway, even if they do catch and kill you, you just start from your last save.
Utterly pointless. Challenge means nothing unless there's risk of failure, and failure means nothing if there's not a price to be paid for failing.

what exactly do you mean by "it doesn't matter anyway." of course it doesn't matter in the scheme of things; we're all going to die, in a few billion years the sun will explode ending life on earth totally and completely regardless of whether or not TDM has realistic AI or not. But it does matter in the sense that the entire point of the game is to be fun, and perfectly callibrating the AI to create a pleasant challenge, but not an overly frustrating experience is pivotal part of designing a fun first person game.
Milestones approaching:
Recital: 3-24-12
ToughMudder: 4-15-12
Release first FM: ?-?-20??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users