The Dark Mod Forums

How to play Thief 1,2,3 on multicore-processor systems

Aceyalone

Well I have been trying to find a solution to a problem all users have with old thief games in multicore processor based systems. Game crashes after a few seconds. This happens due to the fact that Thief was not made for multicore tasking and games finds itself in an uncovenient situation while performing tasks. That means when an arrow extinguishes a torch, when your player dies there is a big chance of the game to crash! (to hazard a guess this happens most times 2 actions happen simultaneously).

So what one must do?

1. Download latest nvidia or ati drivers for its video card

2. While playing Thief press ALT+TAB! Then CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up the Task Manager. Then go to the processes Tab, find the Thief2.exe file and right-click on it. GO to "Set to affinity..." button and unlick all available CPU except CPU 0.

This will make Thief up an d running even on Windows Vista!

Have Fun!

I really hope you didn't have to figure this out for yourself, because there is huge red FAQ thread on the TTLG forums dealing with exactly those types of problems. There is also a permanent fix for the Thief executables available you might want to check out. ;)

I don't even know why people are still playing those old games. The problem is that Thief gameplay is quite one dimensional, its really just sneaking about a map in order to steal stuff, so the only variety in the game comes from having new maps to sneak around.

Playing the same map again and again and again, once you have memorised every guard and loot position, and every room and corridor, doesn't seem to hold much fun.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Well that proves my point. You'd be best summed up by the words 'computer geek', as are most of the people who hang out at the thief forums on TTLG, and those are exactly the sort of compulsive obsessives who have played it through 50 times each, and start threads such as 'what do you think is garets favorite underwear'

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Actually I wanted to install it because I have never played T2X: Shadows of metal age!

As for discovering that myself well yes! In the ttgl forums one mentions about a multicore fix but nothing more! In google search multicore fix drops you stupid results! I just got a flashback from my Isssas virus when I had to open each day to task manager and delete from the processes the fake issas!

At that time I have seen something like CPU 0, CPU 1 (CPU 1 was unavailable back then) but now I got the meaning of this! Seems to be perfect fot Thief's multicore issue!

Well that proves my point. You'd be best summed up by the words 'computer geek', as are most of the people who hang out at the thief forums on TTLG, and those are exactly the sort of compulsive obsessives who have played it through 50 times each, and start threads such as 'what do you think is garets favorite underwear'

Now you are talking bullsh*t you know that? And how are you supposed to know how many times I have finished playing thief in any way???? Computer geek is someone who has his life centered around computers and not real life! Even the best programmer and hacker in the whole world is not necessary a computer geek if knows how to measure stuff! And one more thing! You DONT know neither me nor sparhawk and certainly you dont know all of us here (I dont know even if you know just one), so do not insult someone you DONT know! God Jesus....

Yeah, you are right. I don't really know why we keep all the museums with all that stuff. People staring at all these old paintings. And some of them even come twice or more. They must be really freaks to pay money every time for such old crap.

You are just a spoiled brat, which shows from your comments.

Gerhard

????

There are so stupid ppl after all....

1. You are calling ppl nerd because I wanted to install Thief to play T2X???

2. Count your posts in the forum and then count the rests! Who spends most of his time next to a stupid PC screen? You may are an older member, so just count post percentage. Still you are one of the most nerdish

3.And you know what? I dont come each day here and write in every thread just to be "considered" and not forgetted

4. Also HELL I would bet my d!c& that my girlfriend seems a LOT better than your does, despite the fact mine should be "nerdish"....

I have been seeing you throught the forums oddity, you do nothing but just complaining and nagging and swearing others! GET A LIFE! Stop pretending to be a smart alec! I can accept a different opinion and a justification for it, but certainly cannot accept a dump one playing it "somehow"...

Gosh, some ppl here are even worse than ttgl's....

Edited by Aceyalone

I'm not sure which is more depressing, the fact that sparhawk can still be bothered to argue with Oddity, or the fact that Oddity is calling people names on an internet forum.

That's inevitable, since we all have such stupid and arbitrary names on internet forums anyway.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I'm not sure which is more depressing, the fact that sparhawk can still be bothered to argue with Oddity, or the fact that Oddity is calling people names on an internet forum.

Where do I argue? I posted one or two postings, and that is more then enough. I wouldn't call it an argument, because this would mean having two people actually saying somthing, and I sure can't be bothered to answer to such childish crap anymore.

Gerhard

The reason I, and I suspect many other people, play Thief to this day is to look at new products of imagination, architecture, etc. I don't care too much for gameplay, and sometimes wish the author didn't force me to work so hard to get to a new location. I love exploring buildings, especially gothic revival, but only occasionally get a chance to go to unauthorized locations. Thief allows this.

The reason I, and I suspect many other people, play Thief to this day is to look at new products of imagination, architecture, etc. I don't care too much for gameplay, and sometimes wish the author didn't force me to work so hard to get to a new location. I love exploring buildings, especially gothic revival, but only occasionally get a chance to go to unauthorized locations. Thief allows this.

I'm a voyer too, but I like light thief gameplay to go with it (no hardcore ghosting for me, blech)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

It's mostly just oDDity (even ZylonBane stays relatively tame here). Even so, it's incredibly depressing to see the same kind of behavior that has kept me away from TTLG for all these years... :(

I can only say that TTLG has had the best of the deal.

Stop whining you little twat. You annoy me far more than I annoy you, believe me. There's nothing I hate worse, and makes me want to punch someone in the face more, than weepy little internet pedants - and you're a worse one than The Bane.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I don't care too much for gameplay,

You have to admit, or at least it's my opinion that as far as the first person genre goes, Thief gameplay is preferable to shooter gameplay. If you are going to have to do anything in a FP perspective (which is where you get your engagement with architecture, environment, exploration, etc), better that your tasks are oriented towards sneaking around and using the environment than just running around toting a gun. It allows for a much richer interaction, more you can do with your character in the world.

The whole idea from the start was that Thief would be the anti-FPS, stay away from the enemies rather than run at them. I'm sold with the core idea; it's the implementation where things can go wrong, though.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

You have to admit, or at least it's my opinion that as far as the first person genre goes, Thief gameplay is preferable to shooter gameplay. If you are going to have to do anything in a FP perspective (which is where you get your engagement with architecture, environment, exploration, etc), better that your tasks are oriented towards sneaking around and using the environment than just running around toting a gun. It allows for a much richer interaction, more you can do with your character in the world.

Wrong in this case. Shooters are actually more replayable, since they're really just a constant and intense skill test and you're constantly in imminent danger of being killed., and have to be on your toes for every second. You really don't have time to think about it.

Thief gameplay is better than shooter gameplay in general, but not playing the same map again and again. As I said, the only interest comes from having new maps, since the only challenge in thief is not being seen, once you know where all the guards are, and hence, exactly how not to be seen, it's all rather pointless.

What exactly is it you can do with your character in Thief, if not actually play the game?

Not much.

This talk about 'exploring' halfassed, simplistic game maps has to be a joke, I assume.

IF that's all you want, you'll fair much better in the real world, where there are thousands of real historical sites to visit, and see them in every detail.

- Emil Zola

character models site

FYI new missions come out for theif2 and sometimes thief1 all the time. So there is no need to play the same old map over and over when there is always more fresh material out there.

I have played less then 50% of the >1000 fanmissions out there probably(Estimating)

But I think your just looking for attention.

I haven't lost my mind. It's backed up on disk!

Oops bad sectors damn floppy's!

Stop whining you little twat. You annoy me far more than I annoy you, believe me. There's nothing I hate worse, and makes me want to punch someone in the face more, than weepy little internet pedants - and you're a worse one than The Bane.

And just imagine that you two are working on the same mod! :wacko:

Its all in workmate relations....

You know, I'm shocked by how long you've held this grudge. I (over)reacted to a single statement of yours, for which I later apologized for the trouble it caused. You, on the other hand, seem to be hellbent on railing against me at every slight, real or perceived. Your constant flurry of vitriol is completely uncalled for, as far as I'm concerned, and it has worn very thin. If you want to argue and debate with me, I'd be happy to oblige, but cut the crap. Your ad hominems do little for your image--and absolutely nothing against mine.

My greater concern is that this childish behavior is coming from a former team member. Like it or not, you still represent this team, and as a former team member, your attitude is seen as being indicative of internal relations. As far as I'm concerned, ZylonBane has every right to behave like an insufferable prat; we, on the other hand, do not. Disagreement and dissent are inevitable in any group large enough to call itself a team; handling it with grace is a sign of a good team. You have to handle others respectfully (whether or not you feel they deserve it). This doesn't mean you can't argue with others, that you have to walk on eggshells around others, that you can't criticize others, or even that you can't hate someone. You have to show a little respect, something of which I have (had) given you plenty, but you apparently have not.

The whole idea from the start was that Thief would be the anti-FPS, stay away from the enemies rather than run at them. I'm sold with the core idea; it's the implementation where things can go wrong, though.

I'm going to have to disagree with you, if nothing else than for the sake of balance. The quintessential anti-FPS is nothing without the quintessential FPS to which to contrast. Thief needs its Duke Nukem 3D, its Half-Life.

And just imagine that you two are working on the same mod! :wacko:

Not quite. oDDity left the mod some time before I joined. He sticks around still and occasionally even helps, when he feels like it.

This talk about 'exploring' halfassed, simplistic game maps has to be a joke, I assume.

IF that's all you want, you'll fair much better in the real world, where there are thousands of real historical sites to visit, and see them in every detail.

Right, that's why when I can I explore UofT buildings where students shouldn't be. Mapping, however, is an art, and I appreciate that art by walking around the map. (where I also enjoy the art of lighting, ambiance, scripting, AI placement)