The Dark Mod Forums

Static Modelling

_Atti_

In what way?

They are low-resolution and look like neither proper glass nor proper ceramic - more like plastic. In comparison, even Nameless Voice's Thief EP bottles look more detailed:

post-2023-129244697899_thumb.jpg versus post-2023-129244786667_thumb.jpg

No need for such a refined label (since the bottle may represent both cheap and medium-quality wine), but there is room for improvement.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I see what you're getting at, though they're supposed to be ceramic type bottles like the one below. The label could use some more detail, but I'm not sure of the best way to handle the actual ceramic to make it look less plasticy. Maybe add a bit of graininess?

post-9-12924491303_thumb.jpg

I'll try knock up a better ceramic texture. I've actually got one done at the moment for the pots and stuff that share a rather low res one too. But I think for bottles it could do with a finer grain and strong specular with the grain better diffused.

Maybe after that I can play with glass bottles, tho I'd like the LOD system in place so that we can have nice fancy glass (potentially) without the performance hit ;) but more on that another time!

Springheel: Ah, yeah, it works like that kind of ceramic. Still, if Serpentine will create higher-res gass bottles or jars*, I will not be complaining.

* post-2023-129245099209_thumb.jpg

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

• 6 months later...

I would love to have more variety of headgear (hats, helmets, etc) but I find them very hard to make.

Springheel: Ah, yeah, it works like that kind of ceramic. Still, if Serpentine will create higher-res gass bottles or jars*, I will not be complaining.

I spent a good few days trying to make better glass/ceramics that would work more or less universally(i.e no difference in performance, doesn't shine in the dark) - and in the end all of the results looked a bit crap - I however have a new idea that could make pretty cool/cheap glass/silver, but I need to think about it a little more :)

Any mappers need some modeling/skinning to be done?

I am learning Blender and would do a request or two in the process of practicing..

We could use someone who updates some of our "crude" models. F.i. creates "broken shards" from the glass bottles/lab glass. Or we have some statues which show clipping etc.

But I guess you are more asking for new things to make :)

We could use a few more models of almost anything, like keys, plates, dungeon gear, books with locks, whatever.

Edit: I think we are esp. lacking in realistic, high-quality plant models, weeds, grass bushels, bushes, etc.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I'll try making a helmet, will use an already wearable for size to make a 'prop' helmet.

Then i think i will need a head model to make a wearable version..Is there a good way to import md5 to blender? The body parts are in md5 if i see it well.

Then i think i will need a head model to make a wearable version..Is there a good way to import md5 to blender? The body parts are in md5 if i see it well.

If you don't mind animations missing, I can convert them to obj/ase (should still retail uv and material names)

Started on the spanish helmet.That's how it stands as of now,

I will make the low poly now, then i think i will try making a bit more dented/used version.

I didnt do the belt part, that might interfere with anims i guess, but hopefully the side-burn like things wont be trouble, when they'll be adjusted to an actual ingame head.

That rim will need a bit more strenght there when getting in-game.

post-73-131064158172_thumb.jpg

Edited by _Atti_

Started on the spanish helmet.That's how it stands as of now,

I will make the low poly now, then i think i will try making a bit more dented/used version.

Cool! Nice to see yet another talented modeler to jump in! :wub:

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

I fear i kinda failed with the helmet, and might need redoing it in parts..I made the lowpoly as a separate model but now i have a hard time baking it correctly..its a psychedelic mess.

But as i see..and it would've been nice to know, its possible to bake normals using a multires object's certain detail level...damn it would have been so much nicer and cleaner thinking with that from the start :)

but that's what learning is for..

Am i also right that if i unwrap a low poly and apply various multires the uv won't get severed majorly?

Am i also right that if i unwrap a low poly and apply various multires the uv won't get severed majorly?

Not quite sure what you're asking. What's "multires"?

Most people model 2 different objects as far as I know. The low poly always needs the uv map, the high doesn't, the highs details bake into the lows maps.

Not sure what a 'multi-res' object is. Blender thing?

And you want a object-orientated normal, not space orietnated (forgot exact terms). So the normal should be blue/pink/purple/green. If you are getting reds and yellows then you've got the wrong method (saying psychedelic leads me to believe you're getting all colors of rainbow, thus wrong normals method).

Pics always help.

You can uv a low or high poly, and depending on method add or subtract details with only minor uv tweaking to get different stages of LOD's. In fact it's much better way to go than trying to model it 4 times.

But if you use the wrong methods you can kill the uv's too.

------

Basically I'd have that model. Then make a nice low poly to fit it (this will be the highest detail game object), uv it and bake. Finish texture.

Then make a copy of it, start cutting details out for your first LOD stage. Get it to required polycount, touch up UV's as needed.

Make a copy, break it down again. Clean uv's (there are programs to automatically lod your model but the results aren't as good as if you just do it yourself).

I really wouldn't see any reason to have more than 2 lod's for this is any at all.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Thanks for the replies..

It was in tangent mode (the one that is not the space oriented), it was wrong because meshes didnt really fit..and this thing i am still not sure of but will do a search after this if the high poly should encase the low or the other way..

Btw just checked how this multires works. It is similar to subdividing, but its working a bit different, and it turned out to be great.

Basically, you make a model at lowest res, then add as many detail level as you want.

The levels effect each other both ways.

So a head could be made like..a box..add a level form it a blob shaped like a head..add a level, put in major geometry distorts(nose,eyes etc.)..add a level , model details, add a level, model minor details, than you can go back to whatever level and bake higher res geometry to them.

Did a test about this.. A rock formation

Triangle count goes like this:

All baked with the ulrahigh-res sculpt. And the best is that the normals dont fail anywhere:)

I think 768 for a reasonably well sized rock piece is not bad,

and the 192 one can be optimized easily to a fine looking real lowres shadowmesh it just messes up the uvs but shadowmeshes dont need those..

Using the 3k higher res could even make it a medium landmark.

post-73-131077129103_thumb.jpg

post-73-131077129735_thumb.jpg

post-73-1310771304_thumb.jpg

And you want a object-orientated normal, not space orietnated (forgot exact terms). So the normal should be blue/pink/purple/green. If you are getting reds and yellows then you've got the wrong method (saying psychedelic leads me to believe you're getting all colors of rainbow, thus wrong normals method).

I might be wrong but isn't it Tangent Space (mostly blue-ish) that he wants, as the others are very limited (one doesn't work on animated object, one doesn't working on moving object and one only works from certain directions)?

Basically I'd have that model. Then make a nice low poly to fit it (this will be the highest detail game object), uv it and bake. Finish texture.

Then make a copy of it, start cutting details out for your first LOD stage. Get it to required polycount, touch up UV's as needed.

Make a copy, break it down again. Clean uv's (there are programs to automatically lod your model but the results aren't as good as if you just do it yourself).

I really wouldn't see any reason to have more than 2 lod's for this is any at all.

Is there really a need for a LOD-version? I thought those only were needed for objects that would be duplicated a lot (like trees and rocks).

It was in tangent mode (the one that is not the space oriented), it was wrong because meshes didnt really fit..and this thing i am still not sure of but will do a search after this if the high poly should encase the low or the other way..

Btw just checked how this multires works. It is similar to subdividing, but its working a bit different, and it turned out to be great.

Basically, you make a model at lowest res, then add as many detail level as you want.

The levels effect each other both ways.

You probably shouldn't use raw multi-res for the final in-game meshes as there often is room for optimization. For rocks and such that will need LOD I'm sure it works great but for more man-made objects such as helmets I probably wouldn't use multi-res at all (or at the very least optimize it).

Regarding that psychadelic effect you got when baking I think that might be because you're using overlapping geometry (I don't know for sure as you didn't show any screenshots). If you are then just move the duplicates outside of the 1:1 UV-range (if you're using 1024^2 textures: just grab the UV-island and move it by 1024 pixels in either direction).

I would also recommend Xnormal instead of Blender for baking, make sure to bake AO as well as normals too.

I think the rocks looks way too boxy. You can clearly see that you started out with a cube. So IMO they will need to be adjusted/remade.

Thanks for the tip with Xnormals, will try it.. Well the pshychedelic stuff was because i set the wrong object to active, but then i switched it correctly, and it still was a bit messy i guess because of overlapping, will do another try with Xnormals.

"I think the rocks looks way too boxy. You can clearly see that you started out with a cube. So IMO they will need to be adjusted/remade. " was just for test.

AO, hm i bake this and blend it with the future diffuse? or can we use some kind of AO maps now?