The Dark Mod Forums

Simple animals

Baddcog

I also found the flowers strange, do we need dead models?

Great screenies though everyone.

I started this little project about 2 weeks ago just messing around. No screens as it's not worthy yet, probably never. I took the yellow flower patch and added a monarch butterfly. Did an animation where he takes of, flies around and lands back on the flowers.

I like the idea but so far it's not working great. The flowers were modeled for twosided material which I found does NOT work with md5 meshes. So I had to double polys. Still acceptable in small quantities.

But now I have z fighting/ shadow issues.

So it' on the backburner.

Another prob was that the anim had to be 400 frames long so the loop wasn't too noticable. fairly large file size.

I would like to do a dragonfly (probably better than a butterfly for dark, would be good in swamps, besides, you never see butterflies at night), maybe even just recycle my T2 one. it's got a good tex and shrunk down to a large dragonfly size (instead of giant dragonflies like I had in L4D) it would look fine.

The reason I started with the flowers was to keep the anim contained so the butterfly wouldn't be placed where it would clip into flowers, ect...

At this time I'm thinking that it would be best as a simple animated creature when we get flying creatures working.

Anyway, just thought I'd share one of the things I've been toying with.

I plan to try and get a start on some machinery, animated pieces that will combine with statics for physics. This was kindof a test in that direction.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That sounds great, baddcog. I love little effects like that (eye-candy that the player doesn't have to use to see ;) ). I was hoping to also get a rat and raven with some simple joints/movements--I'd love to see what you could do with those.

It might be possible to make wings flap with a particle, haven't messed with em that much but I doubt it.

It really even doesn't need the flower model. It could just be a butterfly, but as I stated above, the flower is like a placeholder. It defines where the butterfly will be so the author doesn't place it and get weird results.

If the author places a flower patch they know te butterfly will fly in that area, a lttle above the flowers.

Without flowers they could place it too low and it would fly down into stuff, or into a wall...

Also, part of the anim is the butterfly landing on a flower, then flying, then landing.

Anyway, as the shading/shadows is weird I'm not planning on releasing as is. I might just do a butterfly standalone without flowers, it just won't ever land, at least not on something as small as a flower without alot of painful trial and error.

That sounds great, baddcog. I love little effects like that (eye-candy that the player doesn't have to use to see ;) ). I was hoping to also get a rat and raven with some simple joints/movements--I'd love to see what you could do with those.

Yes a rat and and raven, please. I realy need rats for my sewer map.

This reminded me of one thing we are missing. Fly particles.

I'm pretty sure there are fly particles in the D3 assets.

No, I didn't ofset the polys. For the butterfly it wuld be easy, but the flower model would deffinately take more time.

I might try again later to fix this but will probably work on other stuff for now and try and kep thesethings in mind.

I think my wireless POS keyboard batteries are dying, seems like not all my letters/spaces are showing up when I type. :wacko:

No, I didn't ofset the polys. For the butterfly it wuld be easy, but the flower model would deffinately take more time.

You are 3DS Max user, aren't you? There's Push modifier - just use it on cloned and flipped polygons and they will move along their normals.

That's a great low-poly rat. :)

You've definitely avoided the cartoonish look of the T3 rats. If we can avoid the cartoony animations too, that will be great. I think the rats only need three animations--idle (with the head joint free to look around), walk, and scamper. If we can capture the unpleasantness of these guys below in both the look and animations, that will be awesome. The T3 ones looked like Disney rats.

Brown%20rats.jpg

BTW, I came across a free set of animated animals--a dog, cat and rat/mouse. I can't open them so I can't see if they're any good, but they'd be worth looking at. I'll try and dig them up.

edit: here's the screenshot.

rat.jpg

And the accompanying text:

Dog, Cat and Rat!! lowpoly animated models in Milkshape3d, Character FX, and Blitz 3D formats!! Including skins!!

Animation ranges for walk, run, idle in the text files!!

The rat doesn't look that great but the cat has potential. Anyone have any of those programs?

to move this to a new thread, I know I was gettinga bit off topic...

Thanks for that pic Springheel, better than the one I found for details.

I will make him a bit longer. Needs abit of work still but I'm fairly happy for 350 polys and an hour of work.

----

I do like the cat and dog. Don't have those progs though.

I was thinking a dog would be cool, I'd like to do one and it was probably one of the most requested animals for T2 of all time. I think that would really make alot of people happy to have guard dogs. Was thinking about a rotweiller more than a doberman. I think a dog would be best before a cat. T3 had cat.

I'd almost rather see us make ou own though than use someone elses.

Well, we discussed dogs and cats at one point and decided that it wouldn't be worth the work unless they could be done *very* well. The T3 cat is an example of an animal that actually detracted from the experience because it was poorly done. Since these were free and already done I thought they might be worth a look. We don't plan on implementing any special animal behaviour though, so they'd still have limited uses.

a little mre progress. Will be back to work for the week tommorrow so here it is

ratwipzr9.jpg

By schwaa at 2007-08-12

after looking at Spring's pic again I think it's neck needs to be a bit longer. The body is longer than first shot. feet need done, tex around legs, underneath and down his back need improved.

He needs some normal mapping, but other than that he's looking promising. :)

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I never do this much so it's kindof fun to update the progress of this guy.

512 diffuse, 256 local

diffuse needs a little work, feet mainly, some fur touch ups.

local probably will be redone manually. This was just a quick photoshop filter job.

He's been stretched and lowered a bit in front, taller in back. front legs spread further apart.

ratwipop2.jpg

Back legs need to be bigger? (mainly the thigh area)

need to turn of self shadows, the ears are casting 3 right now.