The Dark Mod Forums

Welcome to TDM editing!

New Horizon

Not a whole lot here at the moment, but we're sure the community will fill up soon and our own mappers will be able to share their experiences.

For now, here is the A to Z beginners tutorial by Fidcal.

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/...e_Start_Here%21

And some Dark Radiant Related Information!

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php/DarkRadiant

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I installed Doom 3 through Steam which seems to force a space in the path. I can play the alpha version this way, but for modding, is the restriction.

Make sure that the install path for Doom 3:

• does not contain any blanks (e.g. C:/doom3 is ok, C:/Program files/Doom3 is not)
  • is in all lowercase (e.g. /usr/local/lib/doom3 is ok, /home/username/MyDoom is not)

Still in effect?

Do I need to buy Doom3 again on CD or is there a work-around?

Thanks,

Nebrekker

I think there's a work around Nebrekker,

I just instaled Vista and forgot to get rid of the space while installing D3, like you I could still fire up the demo.

Turns out that in Vista unlike XP the path to the execute had quotations:

Domarius pointed out my error (I tried to put all info inside those quotes and Darkmod would crash on load), he also said that this will work with XP so give it a try. This is what I use for gameplay:

"E:\Games\Doom 3\Doom3.exe" +set r_fullscreen 1 +set com_allowConsole 1 +set fs_game darkmod

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Thanks! Quotes makes sense, since that's how you would normally handle spaces. I'm hoping that means "Yes" you can map levels with a space in your filepath as long as you use quotes, contrary to what that warning implied.

Many regards,

Nebrekker

I think there's a work around Nebrekker,

I just instaled Vista and forgot to get rid of the space while installing D3, like you I could still fire up the demo.

Turns out that in Vista unlike XP the path to the execute had quotations:

Domarius pointed out my error (I tried to put all info inside those quotes and Darkmod would crash on load), he also said that this will work with XP so give it a try. This is what I use for gameplay:

"E:\Games\Doom 3\Doom3.exe" +set r_fullscreen 1 +set com_allowConsole 1 +set fs_game darkmod

• 1 month later...

A new question--on making the sky I run into the instruction to open prefab: tdm_sky_starry1.pfb, yet this file seems not to be included in the "Thief's Den" release. Is it possible to obtain this file and any others that might be missing to complete the A-Z Beginner's Guide?

Thanks much!

Nebrekker

Thank you for the response. I'm not sure how to access the Thief's Den map at all.

My installation seems to only have *.aas files, which crashed DarkRadiant when I tried to load one.

A search for *tdm_sky_starry1* on all of my local drives came up empty.

I'm sorry I'm missing how to do this. Another hint would be appreciated.

Edited by Nebrekker

The map file is contained in the file thiefs_den.pk4 file, which is basically a ZIP file. Open it with WinRAR or 7-zip or something else and extract the file maps/thiefs_den.map into your doom3/thiefs_den/maps/ folder.

The map file is contained in the file thiefs_den.pk4 file, which is basically a ZIP file. Open it with WinRAR or 7-zip or something else and extract the file maps/thiefs_den.map into your doom3/thiefs_den/maps/ folder.

Thanks for the helpful replies so far. Winzip extracted some files, but did not seem to recognize the folder hierarchy. WinRAR extracted:

12/10/2007 11:40 AM <DIR> fonts

12/10/2007 11:40 AM <DIR> guis

01/17/2008 04:55 PM <DIR> maps

12/10/2007 11:40 AM <DIR> materials

12/10/2007 11:40 AM <DIR> particles

11/21/2007 03:37 PM 10 StartingMap.txt

12/10/2007 11:40 AM <DIR> textures

12/10/2007 11:40 AM <DIR> xdata

1 File(s) 10 bytes

...but no prefab folder, and no file named *sky* nor with an extension of .pfb.

When I play "Thief's Den," I definitely see a crescent moon and some clouds gliding by. (But I actually can't seem to get anywhere in the mission, either--none of the doors react to a frob in any manner, and the only places I can access with rope arrows seem only to lead back down)

I am able to load the map in DarkRadiant now, and that is a wealth of information in itself. I'm floating around trying to find the actual entity in the 3D space or on the entity list. In the meantime, I'm still no able to actually find the source file that I could place in my mission.

Many thanks for your patience with my continued questions.

--P.S. Those folders listed above are full of files.

Edited by Nebrekker

(you can also just hold shift and drag a square around it in one of the views, as this selects everything within the square infinitely high or low - from the top down view anyway)

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

• 3 months later...

Hi again, guys.

Trying to set up Thief's Den and Dark Radiant on a new Windows Vista machine with an NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS (32-Bit drivers, in case it matters).

Thief's Den seems to play fine, but Dark Radiant shows white backgrounds on all windows with no grid. Selecting menu options also white's out whatever option your mouse is on. I can't see anything I draw, and the program is unusable.

I went through the install process twice--uninstalling Doom 3, reinstalling it, the patch, Thief's Den and Dark Radiant--with the same symptom both times.

I'll confess now that I didn't use the checksum on my Thief's Den download, so I can step through that process again if it's relevant. But as I said, the game seems to play fine.

I have Doom 3 installed in C:\Doom3 from original game CDs. Dark Radiant Engine settings are as follows:

Select a Game: Doom 3

Engine Path: C:\DOOM3\

Game Mod (fs_game) thiefs_den

And the thiefs_den folder is under C:\DOOM3\. It installed as Read-Only, so I unchecked that property for all files/folders within.

The same problem occurs on Dark Radian 0.9.6 and 0.9.5 (after uninstalling 0.9.6).

Is there a log file that might give me a clue, or is this something that has been seen before? Am I somehow configured wrong? Been using 0.9.5 with no problems on my other machine.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give--please advise if I need to move this question to the actual Dark Radiant site, or somewhere else.

Thanks,

~~~~

I don't know what would be causing the issue, but I am highly doubtful that it would have anything to do with thief's den since Dark Radiant is a completely separate program. Might have something to do with Vista's fancy visual effects. Is it possible to instruct a program in Vista to run without all the vista special effects?

It's a Vista issue with Dark Radiant. When I installed on my wife's vista to try it out, my notes were:

"in all the menus, the highlighted item is unreadable with Milly's Vista settings (which I think are default). For instance, if I click on "View" and go down and hover over "Layers", I can't read View or Layers but can only see a white bar, as though the text and background there are both white"

I didn't try to do any major editing, but I did load a map and move around and it all seemed fine other than the white menu items. Sorry I can't help more, but I just wanted to confirm that it has nothing to do with Doom 3 installation or Thief's Den or whatever, just DR versus Vista.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

On my Vista I need to check this in the properties for the shortcut:

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k289/Jesps/Image2.jpg

I dont know what it is called in English I'm afraid. That way it works fine except for the white menus as Komag mentioned.

I googled for a screenshot and it seems this option is called "Disable Desktop Composition".

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e142/kys...staShortcut.jpg

I googled for a screenshot and it seems this option is called "Disable Desktop Composition".

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e142/kys...staShortcut.jpg

Success! Your suggestions got the menus working, but the windows still failed to redraw. In addition, checking the option for "Disable desktop composition" seemed to do the trick.

Thanks for the great feedback!

post-2212-1216436001_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I am trying to get DR running and load some Thief's Den assets. How do I set up all my folders within Doom 3 directory?

I installed Doom 3, patched it, installed Thief's Den and DarkRadiant. What folders should I create in Doom directory? Folder darkmod\maps? I unpacked thiefs_den.map into such folder and loaded it sucesfully in DR. Unfortunately, all I see are SHADER NOT FOUND placeholder textures.

Where should I put files from Thief's Den folder in order to use them in DR? How do I properly load Thief's Den in DarkRadiant?

I don't have TDM. During setup DarkRadiant asks for fs_mod name (darkmod). Should I create such folder/leave that name?

In short, what should I do if I want to load Thief's Den with assets in DarkRadiant (assuming that I do not have access to The Dark Mod)?

Edited by Bukary

Cartographer's Note FM: in production.

Download Old Comrades, Old Debts FM or Mistrz Effects demo and see my old projects!