Master 'Models Needed' list-- post requests here

• Please log in to reply
182 replies to this topic

#151 Momoderator

Momoderator

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 03:08 PM

Pretty sure we have a big handsaw like that already, fyi.  If you're using the list at the beginning of this thread, it's long out of date.

I guess it's just the sickle and the screen then.

#152 bobrpggamer

bobrpggamer

• PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 06:51 PM

Just make what you want to make, and post ingame screenshots when you're done with textures and materials. That will speak more than walls of text.

Every time I think of this reply it makes me hope you are not confusing me with Mr. Trump.

#153 Momoderator

Momoderator

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:31 AM

qKo7yKU.png

Here's some of my progress on the base diffuse map. No proper normal map or specular map, just baked normals + diffuse.

Feedback is, as always, very appreciated.

Edited by Momoderator, 06 August 2017 - 08:34 AM.

• Bikerdude and Anderson like this

#154 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1429 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 01:25 PM

Pretty cool texturing. You could already take it in game and see how its looking. In case you want a reference, a blender unit translates as a doom unit when exporting, and a doom unit is roughly an inch (2,5cm). So scale your model accordingly. Small models can get away with very small texture sizes. The more textures used in a map, the more it takes to load. It also bloats the game size. So try to make it as small as possible. Chances are, unless its a HUD model, you wont notice any difference for small objects like that. 

You will want to use tileable stock textures as much as possible as well. For the reasons stated above. But also, because it allows for different skins, even if the modeler doesnt provide them (because, chances are high that the uvmapping will work well with other tdm tileable textures, so any mapper can set them up if they want to, without having to know how to use a modelling program). 

Even though you can only have one material per mesh, you can have several meshes in a single model, each with their own material. So in this case, you have the wooden handle and the metal blade, they should be two meshes, with different materials. The process is the same, you need to go inside the ASE text and overwritte the path for each of the meshes' bitmap (material). 

PS: So as to not derail this thread, lets take this discussion to a dedicated thread of your own, just create a post for your work in the Art Assets forum and we'll take it from there.

Edited by RPGista, 06 August 2017 - 01:27 PM.

• Anderson and Momoderator like this

#155 Momoderator

Momoderator

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 03:03 PM

Pretty cool texturing. You could already take it in game and see how its looking. In case you want a reference, a blender unit translates as a doom unit when exporting, and a doom unit is roughly an inch (2,5cm). So scale your model accordingly. Small models can get away with very small texture sizes. The more textures used in a map, the more it takes to load. It also bloats the game size. So try to make it as small as possible. Chances are, unless its a HUD model, you wont notice any difference for small objects like that. 

You will want to use tileable stock textures as much as possible as well. For the reasons stated above. But also, because it allows for different skins, even if the modeler doesnt provide them (because, chances are high that the uvmapping will work well with other tdm tileable textures, so any mapper can set them up if they want to, without having to know how to use a modelling program). 

Even though you can only have one material per mesh, you can have several meshes in a single model, each with their own material. So in this case, you have the wooden handle and the metal blade, they should be two meshes, with different materials. The process is the same, you need to go inside the ASE text and overwritte the path for each of the meshes' bitmap (material). 

PS: So as to not derail this thread, lets take this discussion to a dedicated thread of your own, just create a post for your work in the Art Assets forum and we'll take it from there.

Done!

#156 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11987 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:12 AM

To any modelers tracking this thread ...

I'd like to have a model for a security camera.

Requirements:

1 - Steampunk (try to stay away from something that looks like a box camera from the early days of photography)

2 - Three models:

a - the camera itself, with its origin at the point of rotation

b - a wall mounting bracket with arms that attach to the top and bottom of the camera

c - a ceiling mounting bracket with a shaft that descends down and through the camera, popping out at the bottom. The camera will use either the wall or the ceiling bracket depending on how it's used.

3 - The camera should (obviously) have a lens. This can be an extended lens or simply a small lens tight against the camera body.

4 - The camera should have a light. We should be able (through re-skinning) to turn the light lens on and off. This light will cast a spotlight forward from the camera and can be turned on/off by the player.

5 - (Optional) A red/green indicator light. Toggled by re-skinning.

Thanks!

#157 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18893 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 08:26 AM

I made one in DR a while ago, its similar in style to the one in the original theif games - but different enough to not infringe IP. The base model is currently brush and patch based, so I assume you would you like me to make into a .ASE model with skins..?

I can upload it here when I get home.

#158 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11987 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:15 AM

Sure, thanks. I'll see how it fits

#159 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18893 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 01:08 PM

Sure, thanks. I'll see how it fits

Her yer go -

Attached File  bkd_security_cam.zip.txt   33.86KB   2 downloads

• Anderson likes this

#160 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11987 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:43 PM

Ok, that's a good start. If no one else comes forward, I might enhance your camera to cover the requirements list.

#161 RPGista

RPGista

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1429 posts

Posted 02 October 2017 - 11:38 PM

How urgent is this my friend? I would like to help, but I will probably only have time to get started by the end of the month. Does that work for you?

• Anderson likes this

#162 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11987 posts

Posted 03 October 2017 - 09:57 AM

I'm updating the security camera for TDM as part of 2.06, and 2.06 freeze is tomorrow.

I've created a placeholder model that's good enough for 2.06.

I'll be writing a wiki page on how to use the new camera, and the model will appear in the test map and screenshots.

If you have time during 2.06 beta to create a more suitable model, that would be great.

#163 Epifire

Epifire

• Active Developer
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:26 AM

POPULAR

To any modelers tracking this thread ...

I'd like to have a model for a security camera.

Being a modeler and all I should probably check this a lot more. So I don't know if anyone wanted a T2 kinda camera? But that's sorta what I made and now that I think about it the face took on an Overseer vibe.

Kav7AUS.png

Mn2vRdZ.png

Yay, nay? Lemme know thoughts cause if it's acceptable I wanna proceed and finish the game resolution with textures tomorrow.

• nbohr1more, RPGista, Anderson and 2 others like this

You need a model? Epi does you a model.

Toss me a PM I promise I don't bite.

#164 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11987 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:27 AM

Looks good.

Spotlight?

Wall model?

#165 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18893 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:22 AM

Very nice model, but if I remember the T2 models were more robot like face-wise

http://thief.wikia.c...e=SecureCam.jpg

SecureCam.jpg

• Anderson likes this

#166 Springheel

Springheel

Creative Director (retired)

• Admin
  • 36572 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:02 AM

The less ours looks like T2 ones, the better.

• nbohr1more likes this

#167 nbohr1more

nbohr1more

Darkmod PR, Wordsmith

• Development Role
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8128 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:41 AM

I can't help but love it  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  ...

but the statues and busts in all the existing maps have a decidedly Renaissance \ Neo-Classical \ Greco-Roman look.

Maybe a skin that looks a little less "pixar superhero".

Not that I'd mind if this were the final design at all.

• Bikerdude and Epifire like this
Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.c...ds/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

#168 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18893 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:56 PM

Maybe a skin that looks a little less "pixar superhero".

That was the point I was trying to make, not that it needs to or should look like the T2 model.

And on the subject of the T2 model, it was only used by the Hammerites. Correct if I am wrong but aren't the builders in TDM more like the builders in T1/2 than the Mechanists? So a face shaped camera dosent quite gel with the TDM universe.

#169 Epifire

Epifire

• Active Developer
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:25 PM

Looks good.

Spotlight?

Wall model?

The spotlight is the other (large) eye piece. Also I actually gave that wall model some thought and realized it would have to have a mount on to something above (small platform) in order for that head version to work. I'm willing to make a different (non-head based) version that should remedy the problem. I can still make both viable, but if anybody wants the metal-head version included speak up now. Cause I really don't wanna include it if nobody wants to use it.

Alright, I just got the basic forms in but I wanna know what people think of a circular camera?

cF4mL8y.png

qsbClKt.png

You can see how we've got the wall version pretty easy in this design as well. If it's alright with everybody I'd like to make both camera versions in a set. One from the weird science take and the other from the strictly practical role.

• RPGista, Aosys and VanishedOne like this

You need a model? Epi does you a model.

Toss me a PM I promise I don't bite.

#170 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5297 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 03:38 AM

I like the second version a bit more. I agree with Springheel that we should avoid any similarities to the cameras used in T2.

Personally I would prefer the camera to look a bit more blocky and more "open", meaning that it would be nice if you could partially see the inside with its gears.

• Springheel likes this
FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

#171 Bikerdude

Bikerdude

Mod hero

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18893 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 04:12 AM

• I like the second version a bit more. I agree with Springheel that we should avoid any similarities to the cameras used in T2.
  • Personally I would prefer the camera to look a bit more blocky and more "open", meaning that it would be nice if you could partially see the inside with its gears.
  • +1, I love the look of the new camera, very lore friendly imho.
  • Now thats not a bad idea.

@Epi your very fast and clean when making your models, very impressive.

#172 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11987 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:30 AM

Since the camera can be killed, we need a broken model too. This can just show damage and a skin change
  • Bikerdude likes this

#173 grayman

grayman

Master Builder, Coder

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11987 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:41 AM

The current camera code is written so that the camera points horizontally. I will need to change that if folks want the camera to point down like this model. Cant do this for probably a week; in Hospital atm.

The camera emits movement and alarm sounds so a speaker on the side would be nice

#174 Destined

Destined

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1296 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:07 AM

Oh, hope it's nothing serious. Get well soon!

#175 Obsttorte

Obsttorte

Scripting guru, Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5297 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 03:05 PM

Get well soon!

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild
WIP's: Several. Although after playing Thief 4 I really wanna make a city mission.
Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches
Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models
My wiki articles: Obstipedia
Let's Map TDM YouTube playlist: ObstlerTube
Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

End of shameless self promotion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users