The Dark Mod Forums

"etc" or "ect"?

STiFU

Does anyone else get bothered by mis-interpreting common phrases and then repeating the mis-interpretation?

For example, "for all intents and purposes" becomes "for all intensive purposes," which doesn't even make sense. Also, "force of habit" becomes "forcive habit," which I don't think is actually a word. It drives me crazy.

I've never heard either of those before, or any such outrageous spelling, even div kids in remedial classes where I live had a greater grasp of the written word than that - anyone spelling as badly as that would have to be genuinely dyslexic, so you've no right to by annoyed by it, and furthermore, you're living in the US, where institutional butchering of the English language, both spoken and written, is already rife.

I don't think you can legitimately complain about such things .

Isn't your first amendment, or one of them (they're all pretentious nonsense, since they clearly mean freedom for you to walk all over every one else as long as you're OK yourselves) include freedom of speech, which can be interpreted as freedom to spell whatever damn way you want?

Hooray for American independence!

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I like the idea of typing phonetically oDDity I think you have a very general idea of how 'americans' speak in general.

Accents vary quite widely across the US, as they probably do anywhere.

I was born and raised in Colorado but I often get mistaken for a southerner (My mother is from Arkansas and maybe I picked it up from her a bit), but I've never heard anyone say to me or anyone else that they have a 'Coloradoan(?)' accent. Typically the strong accents 'known' to people are southern, New Yawkan, New Jerseyan, ect... Everyone one else just sounds like a hill billy, or they speak proper english.

Of course Black people tend to have very strong dialect, I don't know how that would be classified. Ebonics I guess, so that's another 'accent'.

No, I know quite a few american accents. Probably 6 or 7. As well as the ones you mention, There's a distinct West coast one I think, a Maine-area accent, and there's a weird one from around the North East coast area, where they say things like 'duh instead of 'the', or 'day-er' instead of 'there', and there's a clear difference between real southern drawl accents and one from a place like Missouri.

I don't think there is big marked difference in accents everywhere you go in the US though, it's generally quite subtle.

In the UK you only have to travel 50 miles to get a completely different sound.

Ebonics is not a term used by linquists. Interestingly, the sound of black speech in the US is most heavily influenced by various regional British accents.

It's simply a very weak form of creole.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

New Yawkan, New Jerseyan, ect...

... :P

Sparhawk, I just checked wikipedia on what you are saying and those buddies also call 100€ a "kilo". Interesting! It seems like we finally found a big difference between some languages. I am going to ask an austrian friend of mine about this.

compliment/complement

If you recognise that these two words are not the same, but rather complement each other, then I will compliment you on your grasp of English.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

I've never heard either of those before, or any such outrageous spelling, even div kids in remedial classes where I live had a greater grasp of the written word than that - anyone spelling as badly as that would have to be genuinely dyslexic, so you've no right to by annoyed by it, and furthermore, you're living in the US, where institutional butchering of the English language, both spoken and written, is already rife.

I don't think you can legitimately complain about such things .

I wouldn't call it a spelling mistake. It's a listening comprehension mistake, coupled with not reading the correct phrases, because they don't read much. Then when they go to type out the commonly heard phrase in a forum or something, they type the words that they misheard. I see it most often among internet debaters actually. I have no idea what country they're from.

Well the annoying part is someone hearing something, not bothering to find out what it means, and just using when they think a similar context comes up, just to sound smart.

Yeah, that's very somnambulant of them :rolleyes:

Loose BOWELS are the first sign of THE CHOLERA MORBUS!