The Dark Mod Forums

DarkRadiant Bug: entity propertie's textbox transversal not working properly with tab key

AluminumHaste

Okay here's the steps:

1> Create some brushes and/or patches.

2> Group them into func_static.

3> Change them in the entity window to atdm:mover_door

4> Click on the first textbox and input whatever variable you want say "frobable"

5> Then hit the "Tab" key.

6> The cursor goes to the next text box ("Value") with the green check mark next to it but it also cycles the next child in the entity.

So now you can't use that property because instead of having the door selected that you made out of brushes, you now have say the bottom rectangle selected and this is reflected in the entity window. You have to use your mouse to go from inputing the variable to inputing it's value which is a pain in the ass.

Edited by AluminumHaste

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Yes, this is a known issue, but I can't fix it, because both the EntityInspector and the global event manager are listening for the TAB key. I already implemented it such that the TAB key should only be propagated to the event manager if the TAB key is not "used" by the EntityInspector, but this doesn't work (obviously). It works for other windows, but not for this one - maybe the TAB key is handled specially by GTK. At any rate, I'm lost here, there's not much I can do about it.

As a workaround, I'd suggest you assign the "GroupCycleForward" key to "F1" or something else, this lets you tab to the next edit field without cycling.

Yes, this is a known issue, but I can't fix it, because both the EntityInspector and the global event manager are listening for the TAB key. I already implemented it such that the TAB key should only be propagated to the event manager if the TAB key is not "used" by the EntityInspector, but this doesn't work (obviously). It works for other windows, but not for this one - maybe the TAB key is handled specially by GTK. At any rate, I'm lost here, there's not much I can do about it.

As a workaround, I'd suggest you assign the "GroupCycleForward" key to "F1" or something else, this lets you tab to the next edit field without cycling.

Also are you guys going to implement the ability to select entity children with the mouse or are we always going to have to cycle through an entities children?

Also are you guys going to implement the ability to select entity children with the mouse or are we always going to have to cycle through an entities children?

So far there are no plans to implement this. The current behaviour has been implemented per user requests, so I assumed this would be the desired behaviour.

I think we discussed a while back to implement another Modifier/Mouse combination that allows to directly select children of func_statics. This would be a full afternoon of work, I reckon.

So far there are no plans to implement this. The current behaviour has been implemented per user requests, so I assumed this would be the desired behaviour.

I think we discussed a while back to implement another Modifier/Mouse combination that allows to directly select children of func_statics. This would be a full afternoon of work, I reckon.

damn, it's quite annoying to have to tab through the children just to get to the one you want. You used to be able to do this with gtkRadiant so the code is freely available from www.qeradiant.com. But not sure if the quality of the code is up to your standards though. Would love to be able to use this again, or have a toggle button.

damn, it's quite annoying to have to tab through the children just to get to the one you want. You used to be able to do this with gtkRadiant so the code is freely available from www.qeradiant.com. But not sure if the quality of the code is up to your standards though. Would love to be able to use this again, or have a toggle button.

You can add an entry on the bugtracker, if you really need it, but don't hold your breath on that.

(You'll learn that I always add this last sentence. :) Mainly because developer time is rather limited on the team (I do both DarkRadiant coding and TDM coding (AI, physics, etc.), and I switch back and forth between those two all the time). I'm usually quite busy with all that stuff and there's no way we can keep up with all feature requests, but I usually try to do my best.)

As for the GtkRadiant codebase: I don't know if you're aware of that, but DarkRadiant is basically a fork of GtkRadiant 1.5. Actually, it took us weeks and months to get rid of most of the chaos inherited from the GtkRadiant codebase and things have improved somewhat. Strictly spoken, there's hardly a chance that old GtkRadiant code is usable anymore in DarkRadiant - and I don't think there will be any need to import code from GtkRadiant at all (development on qeradiant has pretty much stopped).

You can add an entry on the bugtracker, if you really need it, but don't hold your breath on that.

(You'll learn that I always add this last sentence. :) Mainly because developer time is rather limited on the team (I do both DarkRadiant coding and TDM coding (AI, physics, etc.), and I switch back and forth between those two all the time). I'm usually quite busy with all that stuff and there's no way we can keep up with all feature requests, but I usually try to do my best.)

As for the GtkRadiant codebase: I don't know if you're aware of that, but DarkRadiant is basically a fork of GtkRadiant 1.5. Actually, it took us weeks and months to get rid of most of the chaos inherited from the GtkRadiant codebase and things have improved somewhat. Strictly spoken, there's hardly a chance that old GtkRadiant code is usable anymore in DarkRadiant - and I don't think there will be any need to import code from GtkRadiant at all (development on qeradiant has pretty much stopped).

Yes I am aware that you guys modded gtkradiant to suite the mods needs. I've used all versions of GTKRadiant and they were all pretty good, far better than the other quake 3 editors :)

It's unfortunate that there no longer is a dev team for qeradiant, but it's not needed anymore. Oh well, I'll add the feature request, who knows maybe I can add it myself lol. It's written in C right?

...maybe I can add it myself lol. It's written in C right?

Goodness, no! DarkRadiant is C++, or at least that's what OrbWeaver and me aimed for. :)

There are some low-level libraries written in C, and there were/are tons of code where one can clearly see that it has been written by a C programmer who happened to use a C++ compiler. And then there is the template meta programming stuff which was added much later (by SPoG, I assume), which is flexible in principle, but a nightmare to maintain (also due to the fact that 99% of the code was completely undocumented). I shudder when I think back.

Goodness, no! DarkRadiant is C++, or at least that's what OrbWeaver and me aimed for. :)

There are some low-level libraries written in C, and there were/are tons of code where one can clearly see that it has been written by a C programmer who happened to use a C++ compiler. And then there is the template meta programming stuff which was added much later (by SPoG, I assume), which is flexible in principle, but a nightmare to maintain (also due to the fact that 99% of the code was completely undocumented). I shudder when I think back.

Hmm, I've been meaning to take a look, but C++ was never my strong suit, I prefer JAVA and C#

Hmm, I've been meaning to take a look, but C++ was never my strong suit, I prefer JAVA and C#

Didn't mean to scare you off, of course. If you know C#, you might not have much problems in coding properly object-oriented code, I guess. And documenting one's code is a language-independent issue. ;)

The sources are available at sourceforge, so feel free to take a look, if you're interested.