The Dark Mod Forums

Random Stuff

god_is_my_goldfish

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

note: i havent modeled all the pipes on the ca..i think that much pipes are far enough for a little furnace like that...

Actually I think the pipes shouldn't be there at all, or maybe only very small. It depends on the actual room size how much pipes are needed and we can't know this in advance.

Maybe Renz or Sneaksie can comment on this, how much pipes are making sense for the model.

Gerhard

THe idea was that the main large pipe is for the smoke and all the little ones transfer heat, i made them sprawling to give a sense of fitting it where they could, but fewer pipes seems to work better. I unfortunately wont have the other sketches up till tomorrow, but they include a conduit box, and i'm going to do another version of the large generator tomorrow, with better detail. You guys are amazing.

Edited by god_is_my_goldfish

http://www.thirdfilms. com

A Thief's Path trailer is now on Youtube!

dear ATTi

YOU again...and still up !!! and modelling ha...Well...As you wish im starting to that giant generator...Or should i sleep....And start tomorrow...?

mmm

Whatever im starting now..If i cant post it in one hour..I will annonce you the MASTER of the thread..(actually you already are !!!) But DO not expect me to give the HONOUR for modelling that huge stuff....That s mine.....

"But i have to start with it"

"Yes..i have to"

"so why are you still writing this message"

"i dont know.."

"stop it..."

"ok"

BEST

(If i cant make it something in this one hour...i ll give you something later ..as a gift for last night madness. )

TYROT, if i were you i would remove those things entirely. I don't why i drew them, and i think they look horrible. They have no purpose or anything. This is why i was a bit apprehensive at having everything modelled right away on unfinished artwork. You guys have done an excellent job though. :)

http://www.thirdfilms. com

A Thief's Path trailer is now on Youtube!

I think we should stay away from recognizable electric cables and plugs...that's too modern for Thief.

The box with the switches is cool though.

dear ATTi and GIMG

still working on the big generator...Im on it..dont worry..after reading your post(GIMG) i didnt want to erase them but change them little bit..Tonight you might see the first version..

And i follow springheel's idea about plugs.. it should be little bit more different than our current electric system..YOu may check out very early devices especially in late 19 th and early 20 th centuries....those plugs may inspire you..

BEST

Edited by TYROT

Don't forget that these machines are just building blocks. So they should be constructed in such a way that they don't require special geomtry to put them in a map. Ideally they should be constructed such that you can place them in a map and they look as if they always were in there.

I know that this can not be done easily with pipes and such, but that's the goal.

Gerhard

what do you mean by 'special geometry'?

If you place two machines in a map and the they have different wires and pipes sticking out, then it will not work. This means that the mapper will have to create additional geometry so that these wires make sense. Like sticking them into a wall, connecting them to each other or such things. And this should be reduced as much as possible. I think it would be even better to remove pipes and wires altogether if they are sticking out of the basic model, because the author must see how to integrate them in the map and if he wants he will create this pipes on hes own. Or we create pipes that can be connected to the machines like building bricks. Know what I mean?

Gerhard

most of the pipes are connecting to the ceiling or to the floor,or to the wall just behind them...i dont think there so much hush-hush in that so that we would need to strip them from those lovely pipes:)

And how do you know how large the ceiling is? If the model is standing in a large hallway it might not reach the ceiling. Conversly if the model stands in a very small alcove (storage room or such) the pipes might stick through the floor.

Gerhard

Yes, we should build some generic wires and pipes and things which can be used to make more complex layouts...bends, joints, straights etc.

If you can be bothered to wait and not just sail along in 5 minutes, I may be able to do this myself (and would quite relish the challenge of modelling & texturing my own model).

So carry on with the larger machines. I'll try to sort out these other pipes.

oh...if a machine needs X space than it needs that... i dont think any Fm makers wuold have problems with that..

however we could include around 3 variations with longer/shorter pipes..

or..a better idea..lets make the machines with its room as one object..

It's not about the MACHINE that needs that place, it's'about the wires and pipes. And that is an entirely different story, because the placement of the pipes depends on the requirements of the map and author wants to do.

And making the machines larger o include the attached pipes will not solve that problem.

Gerhard

i dont think its possible to make them fit any environment..so in some ways they will have to conform with it...

i think there is 2 thing we can do :

-make the pipes in different variations

or

-attach fitting rooms to the machines...

but i think they will have to conform with them anyway..