The Dark Mod Forums

Composer/sound Designer

saxmeister

Greetings fellow Thief fanatics. I am glad to see a community effort to keep one of the best ideas in gaming alive and well.

Now, for an introduction... I am a classically trained musician, composer, sound designer/engineer, and voiceover person with a thumb in each and every musical pie out there. I would love to work with a dedicated team with the same type focus of gaming. My focus is in the "neo-classical/modern film score" realm of music, but I tackle any genre, as you may hear from the samples on my site.

Please, feel free to visit my website for any information and/or sound samples.

http://www.myersmedia.net/

I don't have any of my sound design/voiceover work posted on the website (besides what is included in some of my musical samples) as I am in the process of adding a new section to the site which will include the voiceover/sound design/engineering/SFX portion of the site, but if you would like to hear some I will gladly post them for you. My experience has covered radio and television spots recording and editing vocal tracks, cleaning them up, etc. as well as SFX.

If you need any more details then do not hesitate to contact me.

Sincerely,

Michael R. Myers (aka saxmeister)

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."- Frank Zappa

We really don't have any 'music' as such in this game, just sound ambience, the voice sets are already entirely in the capable hands of another member. We have SFX guys as well, but another one wouldn't be too many if you're good.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

Here is a sample I put together to give you an idea of some of my work. All the SFX, voices, and music are created here in the studio - so, no SFX library borrowing. :) The idea behind this sample would be a cutscene in which the Thief has been caught by an old adversary who has the power to let him go if the Thief "plays ball", so to speak. The setting is an old, damp dungeon with dripping water and stone flooring (of course). If you close your eyes I think you can hear the motion of the "camera" in this scene.

Both files are in MP3 format. The first file is the track with ambient music and the second file is the track with only vox/sfx.

darkmod_test.mp3 (music/sfx/vox)

darkmod_voxonly.mp3 (vox/sfx only)

I hope these help....

Thanks!

-sax

Edited by saxmeister

"Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid."- Frank Zappa

I hope these help....

sounds pretty good to me. :) Only problem is that we currently have no campaign where we could use such speciallized(?) sound stuff.

We are working on that, but until we have something definite I think there would not be much to do for you.

Gerhard

Who's doing those voices, they're very good, it sounds almost like Steve Russell.

I'm sure New Horizon (the guy in charge of the voice sets) could use someone like that, but then I'm not sure how good his actors are yet, he doesn't start recording to later this month. It'll have to be his decision, but I think he's away from home ATM.

We could use you as an SFX guy anyway I'm sure.

Civillisation will not attain perfection until the last stone, from the last church, falls on the last priest.

- Emil Zola

character models site

I'm sure New Horizon (the guy in charge of the voice sets) could use someone like that, but then I'm not sure how good his actors are yet, he doesn't start recording to later this month.

Also the question is if the sound style will fit. IT doesn't really sound good if every sample has a different style. So if NH agrees you would have to sync up and see how you can make a common style.

Gerhard

Sparhawk, what I meant by "I hope these help" is that I hope these help you hear what kind of work I can do, that's all. :) Just sharing in the celebration of all things Thief.

And, oDDity, both of the characters are actually voiced by me, although my voice works a bit better when I'm not getting over the flu (like right now).

If there would be room for me anywhere I could even do little sfx like "grass rustling", "wind", "water", "metal clanging", "menu click #03", "sword being drawn", etc. And, I am used to matching styles, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm just a big fan of Thief and, seeing the work you guys have already done, I'd love to be able to be a part of something this good to return a little bit of goodness to the Thief world.

-sax

I would get him... B) sounds cool...

We must wait what New Horizon says, as he is our vocal sound engineer. It really sounds good, but we already have several good peoples, nevertheless. And I don't want to invite people in the team if we don't have something to do for them.

Gerhard

Halloa my friend. We sure do have an opening for another sfx guy. You are now a Sound contributor which means you can see some of our developer boards. I also sent you a PM.

Did you give him the correct permissions? We changed that yesterday, so that each contributor can see depending on what position he needs to fill.

Gerhard