The Dark Mod Forums

DR problem

BEAR

So I've been bugging Greebo a good bit with my random ass problems, and I did a sucky job of submitting my first report since I didn't upload the file as it had the problem, and by the time I did it had resolved itself and now it is back, so I have uploaded this one. (edit greebo: link changed).

The problem is I cant create a brush by dragging in the orthogonal views. It happened randomly and then went away randomly and now its back and has been for a good while, I dont know what I did to break it fix it or break it again so it might be broken for a long time or no time, I have no idea. I do know it is annoying though. On XP for me as soon as I click and drag the program has an error and closes out.

The bug report is here for anyone who wants to view it.

If anyone feels inclined to check this out for me and see if you can create a brush by dragging in the orthogonal views it would be much appreciated. I tried with new snapshot just released and its just the same there. If you can load my map and do that I'll just close the bug report and deal with it and or reinstall DR.

Thanks

Edited by greebo

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I uninstall and install new versions of DR all the time, it's a really quick process. To be sure you have a clean start, after you uninstall you might want to also delete your DarkRadiant folder within C:/Documents and Settings/Owner/Application Data. Then do the fresh install.

btw, the map works fine for me :)

It also might be possible that something with the latest snapshot of DR doesn't like a Thief's-Den-only setup, but I don't really know what I'm talking about there.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

I uninstall and install new versions of DR all the time, it's a really quick process. To be sure you have a clean start, after you uninstall you might want to also delete your DarkRadiant folder within C:/Documents and Settings/Owner/Application Data. Then do the fresh install.

btw, the map works fine for me :)

It also might be possible that something with the latest snapshot of DR doesn't like a Thief's-Den-only setup, but I don't really know what I'm talking about there.

I'll do that, thanks. I hadn't tried that because I installed the snapshot independent of the current DR installation and it seemed to operate exactly the same (I think its a total install in and of itself). If it works fine for you I can just assume its probably some form of a curse.

:)

I tried your map and it works fine here for me as well.

Btw: even if you install the various snapshots in different locations, they will all be using the same user.xml file in your Application Data folder, so Komag's advice is worth a try. Just wipe that folder (you'll lose your settings and custom shortcuts, so be warned) and restart DarkRadiant.

I tried your map and it works fine here for me as well.

Btw: even if you install the various snapshots in different locations, they will all be using the same user.xml file in your Application Data folder, so Komag's advice is worth a try. Just wipe that folder (you'll lose your settings and custom shortcuts, so be warned) and restart DarkRadiant.

Ah, I didn't realize it used any files from the previous installation. I probably should have done this first.

EDIT: Hahaha. Uninstalled and wiped out application data, and reinstalled and the problem still happens. Previous info is definitely gone because all the settings are back to default. No big deal though, its clearly my problem at this point and not the applications problem, so I'll continue to play with it.

Carry on

Edited by BEAR

Try deleting the mapname.darkradiant file in Explorer before you open [the map] in DR. It sounds like it could be the same problem I get. That is the layers file. If it is that you will have to do it every time. I get it intermittently too. I switched off the 'open last map at start' option in the preferences and get it less often.

Hm, yes, if the layers file is the problem, this would explain why I couldn't reproduce it on my end.

edit: BEAR, could you upload the .darkradiant file of that map version for me?

Just a stab: could it be a focus issue? I occasionally get problems where DR seems not to be responding correctly because focus is weird, or lost somewhere. A good example is when I open a list and use that type-ahead text search feature, then suddenly I can't close the dialog (ESC, click Close, click X). Focus seems to be locked into the text search, and until I get out of there, even a click right on the Close button doesn't work. Annoying, but moderately rare, and I assume a consequence of the sometimes clunky GTK environment.

@ Dave
I don't think so, I've messed with it a lot and tried in many circumstances and no amount of deselecting and switching selection seems to make it work.
@ Komag
I'm using 0.9.6 and have also tried the snapshot of 0.9.7 pre-release.
@fidcal
I'm running an athlon 5000+ X2.

Its interesting you guys mentioning the darkradiant file as possibly being the problem, and layers being part of it. I had layered out my map to put the couple buildings and terrain on different layers, but then I started the map back up and the layers were gone.

Can I upload the here? Every time I've tried to add an attachment it says "you are not permitted to upload this type of file" Where should I put the file? I tried renaming the extension but that does no good. Its really small, I could easily email it. I'll back it up myself and try deleting it as well and see where that gets me.

EDIT: Hah! Backed it up and deleted the .darkradiant file and it works like a charm now. That seems to have been it! Thanks for the help guys. I'll upload the .darkradiant file to anyone who wants it if that is of help in diagnosing what causes the problem, just let me know where to put it. Edited by BEAR

Yes, but remember it may re-occur even if you do not use layers the file is still re-created every time you save the map. If it re-occurs then I recommend you disable 'load last map at start'. I don't know why but the problem occurs less often for me - not very often at all in fact. And I don't miss that 'load last map' in fact. :)

Yes, but remember it may re-occur even if you do not use layers the file is still re-created every time you save the map. If it re-occurs then I recommend you disable 'load last map at start'. I don't know why but the problem occurs less often for me - not very often at all in fact. And I don't miss that 'load last map' in fact. :)

I actually don't have that setting enabled, though if I had realized it existed I probably would have. If it happens again I will just delete that file and it will probably fix it. Layers are super nice though; I've got to get used to using them more as I'm building and not just adding huge areas to them later in the process (though I started the map in doomedit so thats mostly why).

I don't much like the name though - it's derived from 2D image processing where one layer can be on top of another and all have a common level. In DR it means something like 'stored selections' or 'selection groups'. It will be great when it can re-select its contents. As 'layers' I'm concerned people will use it like Dromed 'areas' which it is not. For that, use region brushes as I described elsewhere. You can enclose an entire upper floor of a house to a region brush and re-select it as needed and it will include anything new in that volume automatically - no need to add or remove stuff. Use nodraw for now but I plan to make a new 'region' texture one day.

I hasten to add that if you try 'permanent' region brushes you need to select, then clone before using menu > view > region > set from brush, because the brush is removed. That way you keep the original brush for that volume like Dromed area brushes

Maya (3D modelling and animation program) has "Layers" that work the same way. There's precedent.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

It's not a misnomer if the majority agrees that it's the correct term. :P

It's short, simple, logical, reasonably accurate, and already familiar to some people. It's certainly not a synonym for "area" so I don't see why people would use it for that, especially not when region brushes exist (and "region" is a synonym for area).

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

It's just semantics, hollow words. In the end it's just a tool for mappers, and the proper name will depend on how they use it. Whether they use it to combine all items on the first floor of the mansion or to combine all lights in the map is their choice. :)

I can see I'm on the losing end here. :) What you are effectively saying is that any name will do even if it misleads people. Like me. :laugh: You could call it a giraffe and we would eventually get used to it but that doesn't mean it's a good word to use.

Anyway, let's not get sidetracked on this except,as I said, I believe in the value of words and I don't think this is a good one for this use. I yield.

I personally never felt like it was misleading or tending to confusion. Sort of like a human biology book, take away the skin layer, then the muscle layer, the circulatory layer, the nervous system layer, etc, down to the bones! We're still looking at 2D monitors in that sense.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif