The Dark Mod Forums

Jerboa would like to assist

Jerboa

Hi,

Im new to modding and I'm a rank ameture modeler.

I really hope to find a spot in your efforts at

the very least I can supply basic models.

My work flow consist of Wings3d, accutrans and

rwxmodeler.

I can offer models in obj, 3ds and lwo formats.

I can do basic uv mapping/texturing in wings3d.

But as far as converting my low poly creations

for your game use. I'll have to be schooled in

that department. I do have skype and ample time

to invest.

Here is an imageone of my works. click to enlarge.

jdwvndfndr02va1.th.jpg

Im new to texturing/shading for realism ect..

But I continue to practice at that.

If interested I will post more objects done.

Thank you

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That looks cool! I think we can always use more objects variety. For me, I'm interested in having more good filler "junk" that might appear on an alley corner, in an attic or basement, etc. Our standard barrels and crates can only go so far.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

That looks cool! I think we can always use more objects variety. For me, I'm interested in having more good filler "junk" that might appear on an alley corner, in an attic or basement, etc. Our standard barrels and crates can only go so far.

Here are some sample barrels of mine.

post-2294-1217997903_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jerboa

Hey, Jerboa, welcome to our forums!

We can always use more of such models, "everyday stuff" is good for the mission toolset.

I suggest you drop a PM to New Horizon to apply for Model Contributor status. We can create an applicant thread for you, where we review your stuff and introduce you to how to get your model in-game.

Have you a copy of Doom 3 around? The process of getting models in-game is not hard at all, but it may take some non-obvious steps.

Jerboa, welcome to the application process. Generally, we like to assign something to prospective contributors.

Perhaps you would be interested in attempting either of these.

gallows

http://z.about.com/d/gocalifornia/1/0/s/I/...-gallows-at.jpg

or a wall shackle

http://www.log.on.ca/marsden/dun32wall.jpg

http://www.log.on.ca/marsden/duncross1.jpg

You're working with considerable speed, that's a good thing. I'd be interested to see the textured model in-game, then it's easier to judge it.

Do you have a copy of D3 around? I can give you an outline of the steps you need to take to get it in-game. You are using Lightwave?

You're working with considerable speed, that's a good thing. I'd be interested to see the textured model in-game, then it's easier to judge it.

Do you have a copy of D3 around? I can give you an outline of the steps you need to take to get it in-game. You are using Lightwave?

I'll have to go back thru these models for tweaking/poly cleaning. I like to keep things as low as possible.

I have out of town guests visting today so I'm trying to vamp what I can to give an idea of my skill level.

I'll grab D3 before the week is out.

I can submit these file in lwo format. I utilize wings3d for my basic geometry.

Here is a low poly hangmans noose for the gallows Im working on. I can ramp the count for a higher level of detail.

post-2294-1218086754_thumb.jpg

O.K. thats sounds good. Somethings telling me I'll need lightwave for the texturing process. I see alot of good tutorials on there website. So, I'll supply the models blank in the appropriate formats for ya'll. Till I get the swing of things and can help out better.

This is what I have so far for the Gallows. In 2 stages.

post-2294-1218133395_thumb.jpg

Stage 2.

Looks nice, although it would be very easy to build this stage from brushes in the editor and make it a prefab. Me thinks it would be better if you can build models that either look not so blocky (e.g. chipped corners, round bars, broken wood etc) as these are much harder to do in the editor, or just leave the "hanging noses" as single models so they can be fit over bars in the game and you do instead something else :)

(Btw, the gallows need trapdoors in the bottom to work :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Looks nice, although it would be very easy to build this stage from brushes in the editor and make it a prefab. Me thinks it would be better if you can build models that either look not so blocky (e.g. chipped corners, round bars, broken wood etc) as these are much harder to do in the editor, or just leave the "hanging noses" as single models so they can be fit over bars in the game and you do instead something else :)

(Btw, the gallows need trapdoors in the bottom to work :)

Roger that on the trap doors, I'll cut some in.

Thank you for your input.

O.K. thats sounds good. Somethings telling me I'll need lightwave for the texturing process. I see alot of good tutorials on there website. So, I'll supply the models blank in the appropriate formats for ya'll.

Don't rely on us texturing the model for you. :) In fact, unwrapping the model and texturing it (plus creating the normalmap from the hi-poly where appropriate) is about half the rent for a good model. Nobody else will have time to do that for you, but we can assist you in the process as good as possible, of course.

Don't rely on us texturing the model for you. :) In fact, unwrapping the model and texturing it (plus creating the normalmap from the hi-poly where appropriate) is about half the rent for a good model. Nobody else will have time to do that for you, but we can assist you in the process as good as possible, of course.

Ok, thats two things I need so far. Gonna work on that. For now I have the free version of Lightwave3d.

Can you crash course me on the texturing/converting? Or do I need to dig into the tutorials?

Also, here is another version of the gallows suggested. Ramped up the count a lil bit.

post-2294-1218172001_thumb.jpg

Can you crash course me on the texturing/converting? Or do I need to dig into the tutorials?

Both. I can give you a crash course, but for the details of your modeling program of choice, you usually need some tutorial, or you find it out yourself on the fly.

First, you need your hi-poly model, I think we're safe on that side.

Depending on how high-poly the model really is, you need to create a low-poly model. For small in-game objects the poly count should be in the hundreds, for large and sophisticated models like statues it's ok to reach 1500 or so. Our AI have 5000 at most, and this is the upper limit. PinkDot's galleon model has 18000, but that's an exception in any case. So, if you need to create a lowpoly version, copy that hipoly model of yours and cut down the poly count. Either that or create a new one from scratch, fitting the shape of the hi-poly one as closely as possible.

Use the lowpoly model for unwrapping, never uv-map the hi-poly one. The hi-poly one is only used to create a normalmap for the lowpoly one, using renderbump or something similar. For now you can skip that step and just use the lowpoly one.

The unwrapping process depends on your 3D program. In Blender, I usually just place a few "cuts" on the model and hit the unwrap command, the algorithm is pretty good there. I don't know about Lightwave, but in any case you need to set the cuts such that they are at least obvious to any observer. Oddity described the unwrapping process as "basically Origami in reverse" which pretty much nails it. I can't give you any specifics, but there should be some tutorials out there.

For instance, my recent statue has a UV map like this:

uvmap.jpg

Once unwrapped, start to apply a texture to your model. In case you don't have any good textures at hand, you could use those from the thiefs_den release (there is a rope texture for the rope arrow and a wood texture for the doors, etc.). You can use multiple textures per object of course, in that case you can unwrap your model multiple times and have more UV space.

If you reach this step, I can continue instructing you getting the model in-game, which has a few more steps (create a material, save the model in the right place, and create a simple testmap so that you can see it live).

Yes, LWO is ok of course.

Concerning the size, it's probably best to check it out in-game. I can remember my first model I created in Blender. I first thought it was broken, because I couldn't see it in my testmap, until I realised that it's size was about 2 mm...

The editor's grid view can also give you a good sense for size when you put an AI next to your model, or the doors in the models/darkmod/architecture/doors folder.

Regarding sizes, you can open Darkmod and create an ai.They are roughly 5-6 feet depending on which one you choose. Then make a cube in the editor with a brush the same size as guard.

Then you can save that cube as and .obj file and import it into 3d program. Now you know what 6 feet is.

-----------

Regarding models, I think on the Wiki most of the info is there, but things to consider when modelling:

1:All models need uv mapped and textured (as stated above)

2:D3 handles polys pretty good, so you can spend some. Like said above, round bevel the corners of your boards, etc... Not only will it look better in game it will give you a much better normal map. Normal maps don't like really square edges.

3:although D3 can handle tons of polys quite well it has 2 major limitations to consider. These can easily be worked around:

a:Shadowmesh. We pretty much require a shadow mesh for anything over several hundred polys. As it stands I'd say your gallows is a great shadow mesh for that object, it can be made out of basic shapes like cubes just to give the impression of the object. Then you can bump up that mesh quite a bit with rounded edges and whatnot for the game model, then add lots of little details for the high poly to bake onto the normal (that'll make the in game model look really nice and have good performance because the shadow mesh is basic).

The shadow model MUST be hidden entirely within the game model or you get weird tex artifacts.

4:Collision mesh. Same as shadow mesh, needs to be as low poly as possible so thge player, ai and things lkike arrows will hit it correctly but not spend alot of resources on collision detection. This is required for ALL objects. If they have to be moveables (small pot, knife, whatever) then the collision models have to be VERY simple or d3 will crash. I think it's like 16 polys (simple cubes and cylinders basically). A statue can have more polys and weird shapes, but it can't move.

The shadow and collision models are exported with the game model in one file. The collision can stick out of the model, just get it close. These can't be added later (I think Springheel does most of the lwo stuff now so he'd have to stop his work to do it and I can't open lwo).

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest