The Dark Mod Forums

HELP!

pataran

For the past five hours or so I've run into a serious problem with my map. For some reason whenever I do dmap in console I get a leak error in console. The thing is, I double checked to make sure everything is sealed by creating the skybox and doing makeroom so the place is airtight. Even after that, I still get a million leaks all dealing with any entities I place on the map. Sometimes they are fine and work and then a few compiles later they break and I delete them one by one as each one finds some imaginary leak. Even ones that worked on earlier versions leak and the red point file just leads to a dead end. It seems the only way to get my map running everytime is to totally delete all my entities from my previous compile and start from scratch. :( Can someone please tell me whats wrong here?

Did you use the objectives editor?

There might be a free floating objective entity that spawns around the origin, which if you don't have any brushes near there, theres a good chance it spawns inside the void. And the pointfile has a hard time trying to find it.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

I've had some odd issues with leaks here and there, and usually there is an issue of some kind to be found, even if it isn't obvious.

A few times I've found myself making the outside box that seals the world really big, or overlap the brushes when it keeps showing a leak where there should be none.

As greebo said, make sure that there are not entities outside the box that you cant see. A way to possibly check is to select everything you can see (shift click and drag mouse) and copy it all and paste into a new mission and see how that works.

If the map is small enough, upload it here and see if we can take a look at it. I'll be glad to give it a try on my machine and see if it does the same thing, or see if I can find the problem.

It's difficult to tell without seeing the map. Maybe you have some entities filtered, which are outside in the void. Are you sure the box around your level is textured with a proper material (no decals, or anything)?

Is the shader not found the right texture for outside the skybox?

A way to possibly check is to select everything you can see (shift click and drag mouse) and copy it all and paste into a new mission and see how that works.

Easier would be to select everything in your map and then hit "I" to invert your selection and see if anything else is being selected at that point.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Is the shader not found the right texture for outside the skybox?

When you say "outside the skybox", what do you exactly mean? Do you have a 3d skybox somewhere in the map apart from the box containing the actual map? Typically, when I create a hollow box, I make the entire thing caulk and then select the 4 faces inside (cntrl+shift+click to select 1 face) and change the texture.

A safe bet would be to use the common>caulk texture. I know there is some discrepancy as to where you actually need to use caulk, but its always worked for me. I'd try that and see where it gets you.

In your actual map, if you have a portalsky texture on the inside, you will still probably need to make the rest of it caulk (seems I've had trouble with that before, accidently selecting the entire brush and changing the texture to portalsky instead of just the inside face).

Often what I'll try is just retexturing everything on the outside in caulk to see if it fixes the problem, and work my way back 1 step at a time.

Ok I tried all these methods, the void is totally sealed off with chalk and I pressed I to invert selection etc and still every entity seems to have some strange leak. The leak even goes right through the middle of the outside solid brush and into the void. I'm not sure if this is an editor error or not, when I created the entities I made sure they were within the bound by turning a brush in the proper place into them. It seems random, one compile a minute ago without light entities worked, but then a second compile with the only change I made being outside chalk and the inner portal sky texture and all of a sudden my arch static that I made that was fine for 4 compiles now gives me a pointer file through solid brushes. It seems that as soon as I make another torch its fine, but a compile or two later and it errors again, even with the whole map pasted into a another file. Any suggestions? Its a small map to show my mapping skills so I can do darkmod, should I upload and have you guys check it out?