The Dark Mod Forums

i would like to apply as betamapper (suprise!)

Theothesnopp

Something to remember in the future, when you post screenshots, try to adjust the brightness. Use the dodge tool in photoshop or the gimp. I think someone said that doom 3 doesn't quite get the gamma right when taking screensies.

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something to remember in the future, when you post screenshots, try to adjust the brightness. Use the dodge tool in photoshop or the gimp. I think someone said that doom 3 doesn't quite get the gamma right when taking screensies.

alright ill remember that :]

its the most troublesome thing is that it save screens in tga, so i have to go manuallyconver them in paint.net :/

ok so this is what ive been doing for a while, i wont show any interior pics since i dont want to spoil any fun :]

its not enterable yet since i havent sealed the world yet :]

i dunno how long this will take but i will try to be motivated enough to finish.

please critique to keep me motivated :)

Crop tool. Seriously, there's alot of editor in those shots.

Looks pretty cool. Maybe a small floor plan if you want much inside. Stairs can take a bit of space.

Would be a hard building to seal with vis-portals, so that's something to consider. Either have it as the 'back' of the wall (players can't go past, sky box is right behind it) and have an area in front for streets or whatever.

I think it's cool you are using patches for corners and pipes.

The last one though, the texture on all the pieces of that round edge 'room' sticking off the wall need aligned.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Crop tool. Seriously, there's alot of editor in those shots.

Looks pretty cool. Maybe a small floor plan if you want much inside. Stairs can take a bit of space.

Would be a hard building to seal with vis-portals, so that's something to consider. Either have it as the 'back' of the wall (players can't go past, sky box is right behind it) and have an area in front for streets or whatever.

I think it's cool you are using patches for corners and pipes.

The last one though, the texture on all the pieces of that round edge 'room' sticking off the wall need aligned.

yeah im not gonna make it able to go around, just the front takes about 600 brushes.

the "room" your talking about must be the one on pic 8?

align what does that mean xd my english sux sry :/.

anyway i've gotta leave for bed now its 1:47 here and i have to wake up early, so goodnight for now everyone ^_^

Just to add to how to post screenshots. This is a necessary inconvenience I'm afraid. Always load the image into a paint program, reduce it as much as possible without losing necessary detail (so, don't reduce so much we can't read important text or appreciate a view); crop away unnecessary areas to leave only the subject area where possible; save as jpg. Otherwise it takes longer for you to upload, longer for all of us to download, wastes server webspace.

Please tell me you've done a good bit of doom 3 mapping before this.

Why is everyone so stinking talented :P

Really though, your stuff looks very good.

no actually i bought doom 3 for the sake of tdm,

this was actually my first realesed map ever :o

so i as i said before i got better critique then a expected thanks alot :laugh: !

Just to add to how to post screenshots. This is a necessary inconvenience I'm afraid. Always load the image into a paint program, reduce it as much as possible without losing necessary detail (so, don't reduce so much we can't read important text or appreciate a view); crop away unnecessary areas to leave only the subject area where possible; save as jpg. Otherwise it takes longer for you to upload, longer for all of us to download, wastes server webspace.

ooh sorry v_v

maybe ill send links instead?

i doo save them as jpgs but maybe imageshack changes them i dunno?

ok ill fix them :) i could do the alt-printscreen or maybe it was ctrl- well i dunno ill try to change this in the future v_v

Did you say you were used to mapping in Oblivion? You might need to start thinking less ambitiously as far as outside views go!

I always recommend beginners should attempt a very modest map and COMPLETE it - not just enjoy quickly making terrain and lights and add a few models. A tiny finished mission is satisfactory and playable; an over-ambitious unfinished one is not. Make a 4 or 6 room house, modest sized rooms, interior only, no exterior. Not too small rooms or too cluttered else then you get problems with AI getting stuck in corners. Visportaling is easy. Not too many lights. Add some loot and a few house guards. Start the player near an upstairs window or something. Now complete the objectives. The FM is finished, playable. Now you can improve on it as much as you like. Add more rooms or add a door that leads to an open courtyard as the start finish. At any point if you get bored or too busy to finish it doesn't matter so much - you still have made a complete mission!

Now... I must get back to my three over-ambitious unfinished missions. Excuse me.... :laugh:

Did you say you were used to mapping in Oblivion? You might need to start thinking less ambitiously as far as outside views go!

I always recommend beginners should attempt a very modest map and COMPLETE it - not just enjoy quickly making terrain and lights and add a few models. A tiny finished mission is satisfactory and playable; an over-ambitious unfinished one is not. Make a 4 or 6 room house, modest sized rooms, interior only, no exterior. Not too small rooms or too cluttered else then you get problems with AI getting stuck in corners. Visportaling is easy. Not too many lights. Add some loot and a few house guards. Start the player near an upstairs window or something. Now complete the objectives. The FM is finished, playable. Now you can improve on it as much as you like. Add more rooms or add a door that leads to an open courtyard as the start finish. At any point if you get bored or too busy to finish it doesn't matter so much - you still have made a complete mission!

Now... I must get back to my three over-ambitious unfinished missions. Excuse me.... :laugh:

höhö your right :]

but its so much fun getting into big stuff x]

but i shouldnt.

but im gonna do as you say :]

but i wont stop trying to finish this one but ill make it wait :)

oops triple post :o

Nevermind, you already did :P

They look quite good, I like the consistent red-brown theme. As well the shadows. It looks there are no extinguishabl lights, tho, so sneaking in it will be hard :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I agree with Tels. The consistency is good, and the non-extinguishable will make it harder.

And you say thats just a starting, first attempt? :blink:

Very nice ^_^

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

Nevermind, you already did :P

They look quite good, I like the consistent red-brown theme. As well the shadows. It looks there are no extinguishabl lights, tho, so sneaking in it will be hard :)

yes i read the wiki about the story of the world something about rich homes have electric lights, anyway i will put some electric switch or something :]