The Dark Mod Forums

i would like to apply as betamapper (suprise!)

Theothesnopp

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No need to apologize. You probably never got the right guidance.

Yes, I tend to agree with Flanders. Here is a summary:

ALL the parts that work were VERY slow to dmap.

Part B works

Part A crashes to desktop with memory allocation error

A subdivided into Aa & Ab...

Ab is VERY slow during dmap but works

Aa crashes to desktop with memory allocation error

Aa subdivided into AaA & AaB...

AaA works

AaB works

So, every part works but not altogether. This suggests over-complex brush & patchwork with fine or no gridsnapping so overloading the compiler.

I would normally work for 20 or 30 minutes, maybe an hour, saving regularly, and renaming the map at least once an hour, sometimes more. Then dmap and try what you have so far. Deal with any errors. Then continue. I typically get dozens of errors - but spread out over scores of sessions and it usually obvious where the error started. If I just made a door and get an error then I only need look at the door not an entire world.

So, as Flanders says and I agree, split it up and get each part working. This time split it very carefully into about 5 or 6 areas. You will find one or two entities might be split like the door handle I mentioned earlier. So its origin may end up in one map and its patchwork in another! Consider deleting and restoring later anything like that.

In each section, seal it off with caulk and give it a very long dmap maybe 20 or 30 minutes or more. Might be wise to use dmap noAAS in the beginning as this saves time and does not calculate pathfinding. Then condump console.txt and see the warning errors. Mostly not serious but just too many.

Best to fix any leaks first. There are a couple which go straight through a brush which is too thin. Brushes against the void need to be at least 8 units thick I think it is. There are also one or two collision models missing and other entity errors. I suggest delete or replace them for now. Make a note if necessary. Worry about them later. Once you can dmap a section successfully then...

Set the grid in the editor to about 4 or 8 and go carefully through the map and see what you can gridsnap. You won't get them all snapped to the same grid but try to get the main brushwork, walls etc. on the same grid and only special fine details should use a finer grid. Your aim is to avoid too many lines that don't quite meet like this...

post-400-1233588618_thumb.jpg

Aim for more like this. Note that not everything is on the grid but the main walls and pillars etc. and just detail and trim might be half or a quarter the grid.

post-400-1233588643_thumb.jpg

As you work through save regularly with a new name and dmap to test. If something goes badly wrong just reload an earlier save and try again. You don't have to get rid of every console warning but try to reduce them significantly.

Hope that helps. Keep asking.

okey ill have to read that through a few times cuz i cant hand´le to much complicated english at the time ^_^

a question just could u upload the files here cuz im on another computer and i wont get to the computer wtih the files for like a week or two

so if u could send it it would be great :)

Download from the link you put up in this thread. You need to start from there and divide it. The ones I split up are rough - there are parts missing and other errors so when joined together again there may be problems. For instance, leaks I fixed crudely. Some entity errors I just deleted the enitities. I changed ambient lighting as I couldn't see well. Added player starts. I can upload the parts I made if you like though. Maybe you prefer to put them together. Up to you. :)

Download from the link you put up in this thread. You need to start from there and divide it. The ones I split up are rough - there are parts missing and other errors so when joined together again there may be problems. For instance, leaks I fixed crudely. Some entity errors I just deleted the enitities. I changed ambient lighting as I couldn't see well. Added player starts. I can upload the parts I made if you like though. Maybe you prefer to put them together. Up to you. :)

oh yeah i uploaded it here i forgot about that :)

Yes, those scenes are very promising.

Those screens do look good, especially with the bloom. I do have bloom enabled but it doesn't look like that on my screen,

Are you sure there's bloom in those shots?

Huh? DarkRadiant shouldn't affect your download speed at all.

Maybe the computer is swapping itself to death?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

• 2 weeks later...

im ashamed 2 say ill give up (atm) with the map.

i have no clue how to do this kind of thing but im gonna make something else and hopefully this time it will work, i think it will since ive learnt my mistake.

so every new section i make needs to be tested :D

ill save the map since i might fix it in the future or copy and paste stuff from the map

ive already started something new.

after i have played lots of those hl1 horror mods i found inspiration and im starting with a horror map =D

edit: lots of theese horror maps usually needs custom scripts.

im a big forum parasite when it comes to scripting so anyone knows where i can get help with the d3 scripting?

im ashamed 2 say ill give up (atm) with the map.

i have no clue how to do this kind of thing but im gonna make something else and hopefully this time it will work, i think it will since ive learnt my mistake.

Don't feel too bad. I've had to abandon some projects before, and so have others. Its a way of learning the hard way, but you'll become a better mapper through it :)

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|