The Dark Mod Forums

fixnormal - a tool you may or may not find useful

The Watcher

While fiddling about making normal maps for materials I ran into the issue where the Lightwave normal map baker plugin generated normal maps with inverted y normal components. Starting up Doom 3 to use renderbump[flat] whenever I want to regenerate a normal map is a pain, so I decided to just write something to fix the files for me (along with writing other tools to help with various things I need regarding normal map manipulation).

So, on my thief files page you'll find archives containing a windows binary, a linux binary (should work on any remotely modern distro), and the source for it all if you want to build it yourself or gawk at my code. The idea is that you just run the program on a targa file with inverted y normal components and it'll correct them, it will also check whether the image origin is at the top left, and if it is it'll vertically flip the image so that the resulting TGA has its origin in the bottom left.

Works for me, may or may not be useful for you *shrug*

Edited by The Watcher

Quod nesciunt eos interficiet

While fiddling about making normal maps for materials I ran into the issue where the Lightwave normal map baker plugin generated normal maps with inverted y normal components. Starting up Doom 3 to use renderbump[flat] whenever I want to regenerate a normal map is a pain, so I decided to just write something to fix the files for me (along with writing other tools to help with various things I need regarding normal map manipulation).

So, on my thief files page you'll find archives containing a windows binary, a linux binary (should work on any remotely modern distro), and the source for it all if you want to build it yourself or gawk at my code. The idea is that you just run the program on a targa file with inverted y normal components and it'll correct them, it will also check whether the image origin is at the top left, and if it is it'll vertically flip the image so that the resulting TGA has its origin in the bottom left.

Works for me, may or may not be useful for you *shrug*

That sounds really useful (although I never had this problem, not doing enough texture work so far :) Thanx!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax