The Dark Mod Forums

islipaway 3d modeler application

New Horizon

I supposed to export them all as one file? I am not sure how to direct different meshes to different textures in the material file

You don't do it with the material file, you do it by creating a separate surface in whatever modeling program you're using. The shadowmesh shader is textures/common/shadow. Basically you create a new, lower poly version of the crown and make that a different submesh pointing to textures/common/shadow.

If you don't want to tackle that right now that's fine. I'm happy enough with the crown as is and can add a shadowmesh and collision mesh fairly easily.

The main smoothing problem was more where the uv repeats, even though the texture tiles properly it makes a seam at the edge of the uv map, will post an image to show what I mean. This website kinda states that it is because of LWO: http://www.katsbits.com/htm/tutorials/prep..._lwo_models.htm

I'm not sure I know exactly what you mean, but it looks to me more like a renderbump issue with the normalmap rather than a .lwo issue.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

as far as .ase you need to find the material part in the ase with notepad++ (or notepad). We prefer you use notepad++ because some files liek the material files that everyone uses, notepad messes them up for Linux users somehow, but Notepad++ doesn't. Anyway, it's better all around.

When you open it it will have the path for the texture you used in Max -ie: :c/programs/mytextures... whatever.

You need to change that to

//base/material name

material name is the name at the top of your material shader in the mtr file.

to use Spring's exampl

tools

{

diffusemap models/darkmod/props/textures/tools

bumpmap models/darkmod/props/textures/tools_local

specularmap models/darkmod/props/textures/tools_s

}

you would use

//base/tools

//base/common/shadow

//base/common/tdm_metal - (see wiki for tdm collision shader names)

-----------

So your crown, the shadow and the collision ARE all to be exported in one file. But each will have a different material applied. In Max I always name the materials even though you don't have to, it makes changing the names in the ase file easier.

In LWO it looks like you HAVE to. But you don't have to edit the lwo file.

================

Concerning the seams. I agree that it's probably the normals. Hard to tell without seeing them, but that's probably it. Possible your verts aren't welded???

It's not horrible, but would be better solved.

As far as uv's go. I wouldn't worry about it on that model, but for fututre ref.

Everytime you split uv's apart, even if the verts are welded the game adds more verts. So fewer seams in textures is best.

The major ones I see in your uv are

1: down the center of the gold bead above the green gem. You could actually layout those ovs without the split. And due to the size and lack of any real definition in tex any stretching it would cause wouldn't be noticable. It would save verts and probably fix that seam issue too.

2: the main fancy part of the crown and the 2 rows of beads. All those edges could be welded in the uv and it would save verts. Would also give a little more room on your tex for details.

But like I said, don't worry about changin it on this model. Just future ref.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Cheers guys I have it worked out now I think (on ASE issue I was forgetting to check export material layout, no wonder texture wasn't working!).

You say it creates extra verts where you have seams in your uv could that be what's making the seams on the model? If you detach verts it makes the same effect. It's not the normals, I made sure they were seamless.

Where can I send all the files to?

I will fix the seam in the bead first as it's not a hard fix and I knew it was a dodgy uv layout I just hoped to get away with it :) Will try putting some stitching or something where the seam on the inner fabric is to hide it.

I though I was being smart making the uvs tiling, using less space but it's just made a mess! Oh well I will learn for next time.

Is the ASE format okay? I know you said you prefer LWO, I can send both just now that I understand the file editing for textures thing I know I can set models up right but setting up materials in xsi is a pain and the scale thing is also odd ( I did the equivalent of reset xforms but it doesn't have any effect when I export again).

Oh one last question I think I read that the collision mesh has to be under 16 tris? Is that correct? Does it have to be closed? In this case a 8 sided cylinder with the top and bottom removed fits the crown perfectly and would also equal 16 tris.

Is the ASE format okay? I know you said you prefer LWO, I can send both just now that I understand the file editing for textures thing I know I can set models up right but setting up materials in xsi is a pain and the scale thing is also odd ( I did the equivalent of reset xforms but it doesn't have any effect when I export again).

I prefer .lwo because I'm the one who does most of the modifications to models that need cm fixes, etc, and I can't work with .ase.

I prefer .lwo because I'm the one who does most of the modifications to models that need cm fixes, etc, and I can't work with .ase.

ASE files, on the other hand, are just textfiles, so people can f.i. fix textures without a modeling program, and we already have a lot of ASE files. So, just send both an we figure it out :)

(Springheel working with LWO is a strong point for LWO, tho, because he's doing the most work there)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I can convert ASE files to LWO and back as well

What do you use for that? I have Deep Exploration, but when I convert an .ase I lose the uvmap.

I think I might've said 16 tris but meant 16 polys, sorry.

An 8 sided cylinder should be fine.

It's dodgy. Sometimes you get lucky and push a weird shape or more polys through, but you have to thoroughly test it out before submitting it. They do need to be convex (think sphere not bowl shaped), that's the most important rule.

My teapot collision has a very odd shape and I believe I got extra polys, or it might even be concave and it works. I have yet been able to duplicate that.

If it doesn't work you will know, you will bump it and it will fly across the room. Usually at 300 mph and will bounce around until it beheads you. It's very ugly. if it doesn't remove you head it will do something like stick to the ceiling.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Here is a file with the LWO and textures. http://www.islipaway.org/dump/crown.zip

I have created the collision and shadow meshes but when I try to save them only the collision shows up in the editor, no actual model or shadow map but all the materials are listed. (I couldn't use XSI as for some reason it won't let you put a / in the surface name so am using lightwave to try and get the LWO thing working for me). Could someone point me to where I am going wrong please?

Cheers!

The reason only the collision mesh was showing up is because the three meshes were on different layers--they have to merged into a single layer to work.

Everything looks good, although the shadowmesh would not be ideal--it is only single sided, so the mesh would only cast a shadow on one side of the crown. It's an easy fix, however.

edit: Ok, I've added it to SVN. I created a moveable loot entity for it. Didn't make an inventory icon though...perhaps Fidcal or AluminumHaste could do that.

Sweet. Can't wait to knock out that aristocrat.

Remember how people in TDS would be a walking becon of light if they had jewelry on them?

|=-=------=-=|

happycheeze.deviantart.com

Moddb

Gamers Outreach, a nonprofit that uses videogames to raise money for chairty.

|=-=------=-=|

Serves me right for not testing the scale in game first. I'll fix it when I get home if no one else gets to it.

Sweet. Can't wait to knock out that aristocrat.

Remember how people in TDS would be a walking becon of light if they had jewelry on them?

Don't need to remember, I'm replaying it right now on Xbox someone lent me. Lot of good stuff; lot of bad - interesting to compare with TDM after all this time. The worst thing is there seems to be serious bug in the Xbox version and particle effects like torches and portal swirls and smoke show right through world geometry which is very confusing and ugly.

Next step is to set you up as a team-member, at which point you'll be able to download the mod and see all the models that already exist. Welcome aboard. :)