The Dark Mod Forums

surface inspector, additional fitting options

ReViliTy

Was wondering if an additional fitting option was possible and if others liked the idea as well. Was looking for an option to either fit textures vertically or just horizontally. This one would piggy back on the current one.

The idea is if you set a texture to tile 5 horizontal, 3 vertically on a brush that isn't quite the right size, pressing either auto fit vertical or auto fit horizontal would strech out the current tiling just the bit more it needs to fit right. I know this isn't good practice when texturing, but I think it could be fairly usable when making small simple props.

Its something I remember from the old hammer editor.

You could auto fit something just horizontal or just vertical and it would stack on the amount of times you have the texture set to tile. This was usefull for fences, creating trim from textures that weren't ment for trim, or small props.

Another little feature was thinking about was adding in custom right click short cuts. I'm a mouse driven user when it comes to most apps. Being able to add in little things like make room, resizing, or the various inspectors and browsers would be nice to help speed up one's work flow.

You could auto fit something just horizontal or just vertical and it would stack on the amount of times you have the texture set to tile. This was usefull for fences, creating trim from textures that weren't ment for trim, or small props.

I still don't understand where the difference is to the existing "fit N x M" algorithm in the Surface Inspector? Can you give me a specific example of what you want to see?

Another little feature was thinking about was adding in custom right click short cuts. I'm a mouse driven user when it comes to most apps. Being able to add in little things like make room, resizing, or the various inspectors and browsers would be nice to help speed up one's work flow.

This is probably feasible, but don't expect it very soon.

Glad to see you're working through how to use DR. I used Hammer and Worldcraft for about 6 years before I found The Dark Mod;

I think the feature you're looking for is "Fit Texture" in the surface inspector. What's nice about Fit Texture is that you're free to tweak the result to your liking. So fit it to whatever scale you want, then you can stretch, skew, rotate, or move it with the normal tools above.

post-2515-1235508292_thumb.png

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Thanks for the help. What I was trying to doable in the texture tool.

Its been years since I really sat down to create actual levels with radiant and not box rooms for testing out stuff. Came from a hammer background too before starting to use radiant. I'm sure i'll have plenty of questions as I go along relearning rad, and then the changes in the dark editor.