The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Most importantly because it is quick and focuses on the area you want instantly is RegionSetXY, I don't know the default key but I have mine set to R. Look it up in the key shortcuts on the edit menu. In Top grid view just hit R and everything outside the top grid view is hidden even in camera and other views. Hit R again at any time in any area. I use this ALL the time.

awesome!? I didn't know you could do that.

If I have a problem selecting an item I usually select what is blocking (what is getting selected instead) and hit H to hide it temporarily. If you have a serious problem then zoom in in Top view and set RegionXY, filter out brushes, patches. Shouldn't be much left but the chest body, lid, and key so hide the body and lid then shift drag around the key.

I don't normally need to go to that extreme but occasionally I find some things difficult to select so use the different methods to hide, filter, layer, zoom, etc to clear the way is all I can suggest. Another way to try is to just shift drag around the key then deselect the other stuff.

There is the soundshader city_sounds_varied. I think there is a way to set up a speaker that randomly plays sounds from this pack.How can i do this? It only plays the first, i have looping set on. Also found something like s_maxsoundspershader that could've blocked it and set it to 0 but still not working.

I also used that in Chalice and I see I put random 1 on the speaker. Try that. I can't recall exactly but maybe I had the same problem. I also put s_volume -8 because it was a bit loud but that will depend how close you are to it.

Hm that does not work:/ I've tried it nevertheless.. although i think random is a value that gets added or subtracted to/from the wait parameter of sound but hoped it may result in the correct use of that shader but no.

Thanks, anyway, will look into Chalice to get the solution.

Edit: Okay, now its working it needed the wait parameter too. Thanks

Edited by _Atti_

I made a nail to hang a key on starting with a small brush and using the clipper tool to trim it down and shape it. I applied 'iron_rough' for the texture. In DR it looks how I want, but in-game some of its faces are transparent and it shows this in the shadow too. I tried reapplying the texture to the individual faces, but that didn't help. Took a screenshot.

Any suggestions?

Edit: I know my wall textures are not aligned yet ;)

post-3285-127465451433_thumb.jpg

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

Modifying brushes at 0.125 or lower using clipper isnt something that doom3's map optimizer takes very kindly to.

What you can do is select the nails and by right clicking on them in the ortho view, covert them to func_static.

(If that does not fix them, you can try selecting the nails, hitting "V" to go into vertex mode and then selecting all the vertices in a drag selection and aligning to 0.125 grid (set your grid size to that first), tho this looks like it will be destructive for you.)

Chances are func_static will be fine tho, and its a good idea to convert complex brushes like that to func_statics anyway :)

me thinks you are working with too small a grid size. You'll probably want to import some models of nails if you want them. There might be some already made, but i've never seen any.

ah, serp beat me to the punch. I have had trouble even with func_statics getting tris optimized out, but maybe that will work for you.

Edited by ungoliant

Also look in the Heart map as I did a few just like that -

one is on the board with the key hanging in the upstairs rear hall just off the balcony. I think there is one down in the basement also with a key not far from the courtyard horizontal doors. And I guess all the ones in the housekeeper's room.

Though I might have made them all black I can't remember. Maybe I just got lucky.

Also look in the Heart map as I did a few just like that -

one is on the board with the key hanging in the upstairs rear hall just off the balcony. I think there is one down in the basement also with a key not far from the courtyard horizontal doors. And I guess all the ones in the housekeeper's room.

Though I might have made them all black I can't remember. Maybe I just got lucky.

Yeah, it was those that made me search through the whole list of models before deciding to make my own with brushes :)

Anyway, I did it last night with .25 brush size and it worked well and the nails look fine. Next will be to bend a couple of them but I have a more pressing issue which I will post about after this.

I've been going through the turtorial and I got to the part of attaching objects, ie. keys, to an AI.

No problems there, The AI walks around with the key and I can pickpocket it and use it on the door mover I've assigned it to.

Since I have 2 keys (one on his belt and another hanging on a nail), I have both 'used_by' 'Key_door01' and 'used_by_2' 'Key_copy_door01', and both keys can unlock the door mover.

Where I need help is getting the AI to be able to unlock the door (while he still has the key). When the AI is in posession of the key, how can he be made to unlock the door?

Edit: I did try assigning 'used_by_3' to the name of the AI itself, but alas, he is not a key :(

Edited by PranQster

AI UNLOCK DOORS:

There are two or three methods of getting an AI to lock/unlock doors...

2. If you bind a key to an AI then he automatically can unlock that door but if the player pickpockets the key then the AI cannot unlock that door and seeks an alternate route; may even be trapped. I recommend you only use this in special cases and test thoroughly as it may affect gameplay.
  3. If you give him can_unlock1 <doorname> then that is like a hidden key in his pocket that is not pickpocketable. This is the one I recommend for general use.
  4. If you combine the above two then the player can pickpocket the key but the AI can continue to use the 'hidden key in his pocket'.
  5. There is also a pos attach method which I don't know how it affects his ability to unlock doors.

See also the Doors article on the wiki.

Thanks Fidcal. That helps. I did get AI to unlock the door by re-doing my key from to 'bind' method to the 'def_attach#' method which I saw described by Serpentine in another post. But I will now add your suggestions.

The 'bind' method combined with 'bindToJoint' made the key barely visible under the AI's belt and tunic, and the AI had trouble opening the door.

Newest problem...

I added these properties to the AI:

'def_attach6' 'atdm:key_fancy02'

'pos_attach6' 'belt_back_right'

'name_attach6' 'key_thug1'

'set inv_name on key_thug1' 'Front Door Key'

'set name on key_thug1' 'Key_thug01'

That got the AI to carry the key on his belt and able to open the locked door. However, the key was positioned horizontally along the back of the belt.

I tried modifying the values of 'attach_pos_angles_beltbr', but they were inherited properties and my changes did not save.

I then created a new 'attach_pos_angles_beltbr', to no avail. I then tried this:

'attach_pos_name_beltbr' 'belt_back_right'

Lo and behold! I could change the values of my new 'attach_pos_angles_beltbr' and the key would rotate. Unfortunately, the key would only rotate along its central axis or along a perpendicular axis which made it stick straight out of the AI's back. Nothing I changed for 'attach_pos_angles_beltbr' would rotate the key along the axis needed to make it vertical. :(

I must admit, Fidcal, that I had been relying too much on the tutorial (Thank You for that tutorial, btw!!), which I had bookmarked, and forgot to check the Wiki pages for more answers. However, it seems that some of the wiki pages, at least regarding attaching objects to AI, need some updating. They refer to entity names for some of the keys which seem to have changed or been removed. For instance, "atdm:prop_silverkey" is not found, but "atdm:key_ornate_silver" is the only key with silver in its name. A similar situation for "atdm:prop_goldkey". It isn't too difficult to find these changes and adjust to them, but it's still a bit confusing for beginners.

The information on the wiki is so huge it is virtually impossible for us (the team) to keep it all uptodate or even add or improve it. Hopefully more people will get involved in time.

I can't help with the attach mode you mention because you know more than I do! And, as I say, I generally use bind because it is simple and intuitive and I only need remember bindToJoint and leftHips_dummy (or right.) Plus you can attach anything to anything not just a pre-defined key on a belt. Plus you can attach as many things as you want. Plus you can adjust exactly where you want the attachment easily. The key can be as visible as you want it to be because you place it where you want it so there is no reason for it to be hidden under the belt unless you put it there. ;)

Thanks. Ok I'll try the bind method again. But I did have a problem of the key showing when doing that. I was using Thug1 for the AI. I first placed the key so that the inner edge of the key was just touching the outer edge of the belt. Then I kept moving the key farther out from the belt. When using bindToJoint LeftHips_dummy, the key kept barely showing up no matter how I placed it. If I removed bindToJoint then the key would show where I put it, but it would tend to kind of bounce around as the AI walked.

I'll try again. Perhaps I missed something.

Edit:

Got it! LOL, I really had to move the key farther out from the belt than I expected. When I was trying that before, moving it seemed to make no difference. Now it is perfect.

Edited by PranQster

Here's a little video of my newbie map, loosely based on Fidcal's tutorial, which I have not yet completed. I got the key bind to the AI working, also smoke and scorch decals above one of the torches. I have yet to learn how to turn the smoke emitter off when the torch gets extinguished... maybe later tonight.

my little Tutorial map video

Thanks. I'm starting to get a bit more comfortable using DR. When I first installed it I opened someone's finished FM map and I was so lost that it boggled my mind.

I'll try targeting the smoke from the torch. I really want to use that smoke emitter, which is from doom3, because it goes along well with the carbon scorch decal (also from doom3) which I put above the torch.

Allright! Been away from my nice little (not) map for a while and there are some problems.

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l303/Medicchefen/shot00001.jpg

Look at the left side of this plaque. I have experienced these lines on many places where I have made lots of intricate work with small brushes using the smaller grid sizes. How shall I deal with this?

Is there any way to link a fire-entity to its holder and make the holders change the skin to dark, when the fire is estinguished? I mean: Burning flame - bright glass...water arrow - glass changes color to an unlit version. I am talking about the models/darkmod/lights/extinguishable/gaslight4.lwo

I can make realistic skinchanges light on, light off, when I add the Entity atdm:lamp_electric_shaded_lit for example, which of course is an electric light...but couldn't find the gaslight4...

And just a minor thing. The left light is using the Entity atdm:lamp_electric_fancy_up_lit. When it is powered off, the whole glass-thing disappears, as can be seen in the lower photo :) I assume this is because the unlit texture is actually a no-draw-texture of some kind?

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l303/Medicchefen/shot00002.jpg

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l303/Medicchefen/shot00003.jpg

1. I extremely recommend not working with tiny tiny brushes (especially not csg-subtracting tiny brushes).

That door plaque can be a "cylinder" patch, instead. For adding the number '2', you can reach into plain-old-doom-3 textures and apply a decal with the number 2 on it.

(And don't forget to turn the whole plaque into a func_static when you're done)

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair