The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Doesn't the nodraw impede player movement? I wouldn't want that to happen.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I'll have to check and see, as I don't remember now, but I'm pretty sure I made a small dummy object that you can def_attach to a spider to make them hang. The behaviour is still a bit buggy (The spider's bounding box stretches all the way to the ground, so players can't walk underneath. Looks decent at a distance though.

You can also set off the animation with a trigger.

That's wrong. Spiders, being arachnidae, are not bugs. ;)

If the setup is still buggy, I'll probably skip this for the time; plus it looks a bit too complex for me at the moment.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

It's not complicated--you just need to add "def_attach" "something" to the entity. That replaces his regular idle with the ceiling hang until he's alerted. But the issue of not being able to walk underneath is a problem depending on where you put them.

Not to brag or anything... But I have this fan... (crowd remains quiet) Ahem... And I want the blades to rotate. Now, I would bet my left pinky toe that I've seen this done, but I can't figure out how. So, how?

Where are the REAL brits?! The one's we have are just brit-ish.

Not to brag or anything... But I have this fan... (crowd remains quiet) Ahem... And I want the blades to rotate. Now, I would bet my left pinky toe that I've seen this done, but I can't figure out how. So, how?

Make it this entity:

darkmod > Func > movers > func_rotating

By default it rotates around the vertical z axis or you can set x_axis or y_axis to 1 to rotate round those axes.

Set also:

speed

start_on (1 or 0)

invert_on_trigger (1 or 0)

You can trigger it from anything eg, a lever, objective, whatever. The invert_on_trigger setting will determine if it always goes the same way or the opposite way on alternate triggerings.

It's not complicated--you just need to add "def_attach" "something" to the entity.

Ok, the actual line is "def_attach" "atdm:prop_spider_ceiling".

Thanks for your answers! My next question: how to implement a custom player map? I've got the source DDS file and the inventory icon, but examining FMs with maps in them, I don't see how they did it.

1) It looks like there is a map_area.gui file that, editing in my file name, looks like this:

windowDef Desktop {
rect 	0, 0, 640, 640
nocursor 1

windowDef background_map {
 rect 	40, -20, 560, 500
 background "guis/assets/maps/areamap-rttc2"
 visible 1
}
}

Will that work with a 1024x1024 map or is there something else to do?

2) How to actually put the map into the level? A custom readable? A special GUI file? Something else?

Thanks again! That will prove most useful. I forgot it was in the startpack...

You can't easily blend two textures on a patch in Doom3. Alternatives are a model with vertex blending, a custom texture that combines two textures, a 'crumb' texture like some of the dirt and grass decals is a bodged blend. This is a big question with no quick answer and it depends what you are trying to do exactly.

Are you asking what that vampire bat like shadow is in your image? If it is the lantern shadow then set the lantern model to noShadows 1. Almost all light models want that because the light is diffused around them so the only shadows would be very faint and soft.

I just want tutorial dedicated to blending 2 textures on patch without custom models/textures

PS I just open training mission in DR and fall from the chair when I seen nothing exept caulk brush in floor of archery training area(where stone and grass blended) same thing in NHAT 3 in forest area

Proceed with caution!

I just want tutorial dedicated to blending 2 textures on patch without custom models/textures

PS I just open training mission in DR and fall from the chair when I seen nothing exept caulk brush in floor of archery training area(where stone and grass blended) same thing in NHAT 3 in forest area

He answered your question though, you can't apply two textures to one patch.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Both of those examples are models with caulk brushes to prevent leaks and improve AI pathfinding. Doom 3 doesn't natively support vertex blended textures except on models. The effect you are trying to achieve will likely require some work in Blender unless Fidcal's "grass-edge" solution is sufficient for your needs.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)