The Dark Mod Forums

Newbie DarkRadiant Questions

demagogue

Both "slick" and "ice" textures seem to produce a tile-like footstep sound. Putting a nodraw solid of another sound over them eliminates the slippery feature. Any way to have ice with a snow sound?

Find the definition of the snow texture you want to use, add the "slick" keyword, and place it in a *.mtr file in your <mymission>/materials/ folder.

• Like 1

Cool, thank you, that gives me a slippery top surface, which curiously plays the sound of whichever surface is layered beneath it. (Which works for me, just requires an extra surface beneath to provide sound. Exploring deeper, I don't see anything sound related in the material file for any of those surfaces, nor any mention of sounds in the wiki blurb on basic material files.)

Googling to the rescue, "Surface Types" gave the subtle hint, a space was lost after surftype15 in line feed conversion. Voilà, sound!

Edited by RJFerret

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

- Baron Thomas Babington Macauley

This has actually nothing to do with DR, but I may ask it here anyways.

Is it possible to store the results of a vertex shader in a texture to access this with the fragment shader?

Or the other way round, can I access texcoords in a fragment shader that belong to neighbouring vertices or store information in a vertex shader into a texcoord of neighbouring vertices?

Something like that :)

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

For some strange reason, I am having difficulty with blood decals.

I have tried dragging out a worldspawn brush, offsetting it from the wall by 0.125 and apply my chosen blood decal. I have also tried selecting the wall face and using the 'create decal' function.

However, when I go into DM, the decals are not rendered at all. When I switch to r_showTris 2 mode, I can see that the patches are actually there, but are inexplicably not being rendered.

Any ideas as to what's going wrong? I have not encountered this problem with other decal types (aka webs dirt, etc)

Damage stim not working... What's wrong with my extremely basic setup here? It's again the first one I've tried so probably something extremely simple.

My test map is a cube with a bonfire model in the corner. Above the model I've placed a light_fireflames_typical entity. I want the player to take damage if he stands on top of the fire. I've added a damage stim but nothing happens. I've been messing with the distance and magnitude, so the spawnargs I'm about to paste might look a bit extreme, but none of the options I've tried does anything to the player.

The light_fireflames_typical comes with a fire stim and a (disabled) visual stim. I've added just a damage stim. I've not duplicated the S/R number. My spawnargs are:

sr_chance_7 1

sr_class_7 S

sr_magnitude_7 50

sr_radius_7 67

sr_state_7 1

sr_type_7 STIM_DAMAGE

I see the player already has a STIM_DAMAGE response in his def file, so I've not added one. In fact he has two identical responses, but removing one of them doesn't help either.

What am I missing?

For your purpose it's better to use a trigger_hurt.

Regarding your setup, I guess you have to set the time interval.

FM's: Builder Roads, Old Habits, Old Habits Rebuild

Mapping and Scripting: Apples and Peaches

Sculptris Models and Tutorials: Obsttortes Models

My wiki articles: Obstipedia

Texture Blending in DR: DR ASE Blend Exporter

Ok thanks Obsttorte, I'll try it when I get home from work. Not heard of a trigger_hurt before but it sounds very apt.

Re the stim, if I find I already have the interval set and it doesn't fix it, I'll post back as I'd still like to know what I did to set my stim up wrong.

EDIT: Adding the time interval didn't fix my stim_damage, but the trigger_hurt does the job fine. Thanks for the tip.

Edited by SteveL

How does one use the "trigger" spawn arg on path nodes?

I've set it to a speaker or light, and tried it on a path_corner as well as path_lookat to no avail. Does it work? If so, how?

"The measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out."

If the former is broken, how to setup a trigger that affects AIs repeatedly but not the player?

Is there a better way than having to clone a trigger_entityname for each AI that might follow that path?

How does one use the "trigger" spawn arg on path nodes?

I've set it to a speaker or light, and tried it on a path_corner as well as path_lookat to no avail. Does it work? If so, how?

You found a bug. Please file a bugtracker issue.

The code fires the AI's targets, not the path_corner's targets, which makes no sense.

Someone long ago did an oopsie.

If the former is broken, how to setup a trigger that affects AIs repeatedly but not the player?

Is there a better way than having to clone a trigger_entityname for each AI that might follow that path?

You could create a new stim on the path_corner, and add a reaction to each AI that uses that path_corner. That reaction would trigger whatever you want to happen.

Done.

And thank you once again. :-)

PS: Wasn't certain which category to put it in. Tracker doesn't have 2.01 version available to select yet.

Edited by RJFerret

I'm trying to figure out why when I move from one area to another my whole map lights up. Here are two screenshots one with me standing in the old area and another where I inch forward just a bit then the whole map lights up. It's pointed at the ground to avoid spoilers but yeah.

I have no info_locations there and my ambient info is covering the whole area so I wonder why it does this.

XMML3U9.jpg

XpCTdOW.jpg

Any chance there's more than one ambient light? Like you had one and then added the Startpack which also has one? (Hitting J then typing "Ambient" is one way to discover if this is a factor.)

If you move farther in, does the lighting go back to normal, or does it stay lighter?

Stays light the whole way through

The only thing I can think of is that, since I see a lot of streetlights in that shot, you're passing from one location to another, and the automatic dynamic lighting is kicking in, adding a bit of every light source to the ambient.

If you're passing through a visportal with an info_locationseparator on it, try putting this spawnarg on your info_location entities to turn off the dynamic light change:

"ambient_light_dynamic" "0 0 0"

• Like 1

The only thing I can think of is that, since I see a lot of streetlights in that shot, you're passing from one location to another, and the automatic dynamic lighting is kicking in, adding a bit of every light source to the ambient.

If you're passing through a visportal with an info_locationseparator on it, try putting this spawnarg on your info_location entities to turn off the dynamic light change:

"ambient_light_dynamic" "0 0 0"

Problem solved, you are a genius my friend!!! Thank you :)

• Like 1