The Dark Mod Forums

Thief 4

Tushaar

So I saw the announcement and I'm going to put in my two cents:

All we can do is wait. I think the team has seen The Dark Mod. If not, someone should create an account on their site and make sure they do. That way they can see "OMG, this is what the community is already doing." It will give them something to keep an eye on as they develop their game.

Where do the TDM fan missions go?

What kind of things seem to be popular among FM devs in their world?

What types of missions seem to create the most buzz?

TDM is going to be hard to live up to. Its made by fans of the originals. Its doing a lot of things we wanted to see in the franchise, but never got to. If they want to make a game that appeals to us, the hard-core thief fan base, then you bet your butt they're going to be paying attention to the Dark Mod. If we pan the game outright, then we're not going to tell our friends to go check it out, or worse for them, we may warn people against it.

I wouldn't worry too much about losing people for very long to Thief 4 editor (if they even have one of course). There existed the same worry about Thief 3, when Ion Storm decided to release the editor and it's a piece of crap that's incredibly unstable. I'm not worried, and even if it's the best editor in the world, incredibly intuitive and powerful, I'm still not worried, there's more than enough thief fans to go around.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

I'm disappointed that more games don't follow the approach of the Silent Hunter series, where you can dial the difficulty settings to get the full range of experience from "arcade" to "simulator." It seems like once you have the "simulator" settings in place, you've definitely pleased the hardcore fan, and from there it's fairly easy to dial them down and add a lot of auto-decision makers for the casual player.

I know what you mean. Perfect Dark for the N64 was awesome in that respect. You could get past the game on easy or the very hard difficulty and the two were so tremendously different it was like an entirely new level even though your on the same maps. It had me playing through the entire game 2x because of this! I'll never forget how weird it was after playing through the game a couple times on normal and easy then going to expert and finding a helicopter attack you on the fist level. It was so different than the original I played.

I haven't taken the time to go through the posts here. BUT Has anyone mentioned that the D3 source will likely be available by the time T4 is released? More improvements will come when it's open sourced.

It is almost impossible for them to have not seen TDM. In the most likely scenario, they have tried TDM.

I do hope that T4 is good, I am in no TDM vs T4 situation here, because as I see it, they are going to make a singleplayer campaign, with possibly even multiplayer. Sure, FMs will probably be better based in TDM, as it gives the creator access to everything (enough so that you can create a modern setting level with equivalent tools if you wanted to), while T4 will most likely have an excellent campaign. So either way it will be worth getting, and will not de-rail TDM unless they go open-source or release a ground-breaking SDK.

That is of course assuming they learnt from T3. I am actually glad it is being made, and don't really see a threat to TDM, but rather a welcome addition to the genre.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that EDOS now belongs to Square Soft ....

its the one fact that keeps me from instantly dismissing Thief 4.

as for thief 3: i would say i loved it except the constantly crashing to desktop every 10-15 minutes kinda got in the way.

heres hoping that Square pimping EDOS = the next time EDOS tries to ship a bug riddled crap burger that spent 5 minutes in the QA oven, someone from Square shows up and bitch slaps the shit out of EDOS, throws them in the trunk of a pink Cadillac, and then drives over every speed bump and pot hole in town.

>.>

this could also mean that Garrett will turn into an anorexic emo 16 year old bitch, reeking of homosexuality but perpetuates "love triangles" with two girls (that never get "consummated") in order to appear straight, and every time something screws up he runs away flapping his arms and crying his little sissy ass off ...

I think you are judging the game too hard. Surely Thief 3 had a lot of flaws. I have played TDP and TMA first, but I couldn't play T3 for many months because I didn't meet the system requirements. Meanwhile I started reading threads at TTLG and before playing T3 I had the feeling that it's going to be an incredibly bad game. Actually I enjoyed T3.

I enjoyed the demo missions of TDM, too. I also feel I found what I needed - a modern and a flexible tool to create FMs. This is my only objection to T3

Thief: Silent Assassin

Thief: Assassin's Creed

Thief: Shadow Cell

Thief: Pitch Black

Thief: Assassin in the Night

Thief: Dark Assassin in the Night

Thief: Dark Assassin from the Shadows

Thief: Shadowy Darkness

Thief: Shadowy Shadows

Thief: Dark Darkness

Thief: ...Just Play The Damn Game Already, The Main Character Is A Badass Steampunk Cyborg

...Wait, I think I have it:

Thief: Steampunk Cyborg

Ohhhh yeah.

He could have a catchphrase and everything. And an action figure!

Seriously though, I'm sure it won't be that bad. :P

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Thief: Deadly Shades of Death

Thief: Shapes in the night

Come on people.. I'm not seeing enough DEADLYs in those titles! :P

Yeah, the dark project is kinda lame... but it IS the first game! They were introducing everything, so they are allowed to make a lame name :D Deadly Shadows wouldn't be bad if it were the first game. (except for the 'deadly' part)

You know.. I was thinking. A good title must be like a book title! and reflect the plot somehow. Thief IV: The Prophecies of Fire would have something to do with the Keepers and a prophecy regarding.. well.. fire? (yes, making a good title is harder)

I think they will learn from the mistakes of T3, I believe they will actually make a good game this time, or at least I hope.

Yeah, fingers crossed. At least they're unlikely to make the same mistakes!

(That goes for DX3 too.)

I don't really care what the subtitle is, unless its quality/tone is questionable and turns out to reflect the game content/gameplay.

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Yeah, fingers crossed. At least they're unlikely to make the same mistakes!

(That goes for DX3 too.)

I don't really care what the subtitle is, unless its quality/tone is questionable and turns out to reflect the game content/gameplay.

In that sense, Deadly Shadows reflected the game quite well - you were no longer a thief, but a murderer.

You know.. I was thinking. A good title must be like a book title! and reflect the plot somehow. Thief IV: The Prophecies of Fire would have something to do with the Keepers and a prophecy regarding.. well.. fire? (yes, making a good title is harder)

This is along the lines I think would be good - the subtitle should be something that, yes, sounds cool, but more importantly, sound intriguing, and makes you want to find out what it's all about. "Deadly Shadows" just sounds boring - there's nothing mysterious, nothing to discover. "The Prophecies of Fire" makes you want to learn what that is, who made these prophecies, who do they affect, does it mean real fire burning the city or some metaphorical fire of the soul or something?

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

"The Prophecies of Fire" makes you want to learn what that is, who made these prophecies, who do they affect, does it mean real fire burning the city or some metaphorical fire of the soul or something?

Thief: Arson Chronicles? :laugh:

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

"The Prophecies of Fire" makes you want to learn what that is, who made these prophecies, who do they affect, does it mean real fire burning the city or some metaphorical fire of the soul or something?

I actually disagree. I'd hate that subtitle, as I'm sick to death of prophecies in fiction. It's just lazy writing, on the same level as a deus ex machina, or "A Wizard Did It".

"Hmm, we need group X to do Y, but what's their motivation for doing so?" "Uh... hmm... I know, let's make up an ancient prophecy passed down through generations which tells them to do Y!" "Yay, problem solved!"

"How do we establish that our protagonist is special from the outset of his Hero's Journey?" "I know, let's make up a prophecy about the sixth son of a farmer getting hit on the head with a toothbrush and going on to defeat the Dark Lord!" "Genius!"

Wasn't there a prophecy of some kind in Deadly Shadows involving the Keepers? I forget... It was a pretty forgettable plot.

Thief: Resurrection ....

Almost plausible! Especially if they end up doing a "reboot" of the series.

Wasn't there a prophecy of some kind in Deadly Shadows involving the Keepers?

yes ....

tho i tend to disagree, prophecies give the players a sense that the world is some what old and that they are part of it.

i mean, what about "Wing commander: Prophecy"? that one was a highly successfully re-boot of a quality series!

( heavy sarcasm in all this by the way )

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that EDOS now belongs to Square Soft ....

its the one fact that keeps me from instantly dismissing Thief 4.

as for thief 3: i would say i loved it except the constantly crashing to desktop every 10-15 minutes kinda got in the way.

heres hoping that Square pimping EDOS = the next time EDOS tries to ship a bug riddled crap burger that spent 5 minutes in the QA oven, someone from Square shows up and bitch slaps the shit out of EDOS, throws them in the trunk of a pink Cadillac, and then drives over every speed bump and pot hole in town.

>.>

this could also mean that Garrett will turn into an anorexic emo 16 year old bitch, reeking of homosexuality but perpetuates "love triangles" with two girls (that never get "consummated") in order to appear straight, and every time something screws up he runs away flapping his arms and crying his little sissy ass off ...

Don't you mean Eidos?

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.