The Dark Mod Forums

A Deus Ex INSPIRED MOD called GENETIC DISORDER!

ultimatemale420

Hi guys im currently in the midst of developing a mod inspired by the lengendery Deus Ex it is called Genetic Disorder

one of the most basic aims of this mod is to create a better dues ex if you will. i mean it has been 10 years since DX hit the shelves and no better superior game of its nature has ever been released

i was wondering if such gameplay mechanics would be possible to code in the doom 3 engine

i am curiois about the capabilities of the doom 3 engine.

details of the gameplay mechains id like to produce in the MOD can be found on the MODDB profile page

http://www.moddb.com/mods/deus-ex-genetic-disorder

i aim to make the basic gameplay mechanics code open source for the modding community to use

is doom 3 the right engine for this type of game and is any1 from the doom 3 moddding community up for the coding challenge

to create something memorable and unique

i briefly spoke with new horizon after making the above forum post at doom 3 world

he asked me about my contributions other then organisation of the mod, to which i answered

you do make a good point however i am writing the story which has required alot of time n research into the conspiracy thoeries in existence today so far that is my main contribution to the mod

on the sidelines i am learning 3ds max and photoshop hopefull ill become profiecent enough to begin conrtibuting to the art work for this mod. however my main aim right now is to gather a team who can especially code to begin producing the mod tool kit for the modding community that is why the code for the project is open source untill actual game content development begins for the mod.

this way future modders who wish to create mods similar in nature to the gameplay of deus ex yet want to bring in a more modernized gaming feel can do so without having to spend awful amount of time coding from scratch. i think this would benefit everybody in the community.

furthermore yess i am at this stage pretty much the organiser of the project but organisation does YAM UP time. i bring to the table not just a storyline but planning of gameplay mechanics as well, i further plan on working closely with willing coders to bring the best out of the selected engine that would be used for the mod.

new horizon claimed that the dark mod is inspired by thief series, and claimed that most of the game mechanics are shared in the dark mod and that the dark mod team has spent time creating mod tool kits that help making mods for doom 3 easier

well whats the rest of the teams take on this

thanx for reading guys

new horizon claimed that the dark mod is inspired by thief series

Well, it's a little more than a claim. Our mod is inspired by the Thief series. Specifically part 1 and 2.

and claimed that most of the game mechanics are shared in the dark mod and that the dark mod team has spent time creating mod tool kits that help making mods for doom 3 easier

I'm not sure what you mean by 'the game mechanics are shared'. I said that Thief 3 and Deus Ex 2 shared the same tech and that we cover a lot of features you would be looking for.

well whats the rest of the teams take on this

thanx for reading guys

I think what the team will want to know is, how will this be mutually beneficial? Unless you have a team in place, chances of us sharing the source code are slim...unless we know that we'll be able to see something in return, like shared code enhancements that would help us as well as you. ;) We essentially have a fully functional Thief inspired game on our hands here, so we're going to need some encouragement before even considering handing the keys over to someone for another project.

My personal feeling is that I would be tickled pink to see another team take the code and do something completely different with it like a Deus Ex mod, but you're going to need to put together some serious ground work and get a team together before you even have a chance of completing a project like this.

Uh... good luck.

The reality of the modding world is that whoever wants to get the ball rolling has to do the lion's share of work, especially at the beginning. And then if it's promising people will be attracted to that. You have to show them something first, not just ideas. That's not a criticism of your ideas; just basic advice.

Yes the Doom 3 engine is very powerful and will be open source, so it's in a good position for doing total conversion types of things like you're talking about. Other engines might be good too; you have to research pros and cons.

So if you're really serious about this, there are two roads, I think.

1. Lessen your ambitions to something you can do by yourself, like a Doom3 mod, HL2 mod, or Darkmod FM with some Deus Ex like features. You have all the Doom 3 scifi assets to work with, so it's not that crazy. Or a mod for another game. You'll have much better odds making something good from a basic mod than a total conversion. Very few ambitious TCs see the light of day.

2. Learn Doom 3 the hard way like we're all doing here, and make or design a big chunk of what you're thinking about on your own. Then when people see what you've done, they'll take you seriously. Or just the design outline of what features you want. The more technical specificity you go into, the more interesting it looks for other people. And there's no real shortcut to that. Download the SDK for Doom 3; get some Doom 3 mods to research how they did things; read the Doom 3 World forum. Everything you need to know is either documented out there somewhere, or is a new thing that you'd have to figure out for yourself anyway. Or make a few AI or objects on your own and post screenshots.

I also don't think Darkmod code is going to be very helpful for your project either, since the games are so different. Even the expertise of the people that did it won't be so helpful for the same reason. To the extent they know some basic stuff, it's all documented in forums out there dedicated to it. And as for the Darkmod code itself, you'll be able to see it along with everybody else when it's released.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

i am writing the story which has required alot of time n research into the conspiracy thoeries in existence today so far that is my main contribution to the mod

...however my main aim right now is to gather a team who can especially code

...i am at this stage pretty much the organiser of the project but organisation does YAM UP time. i bring to the table not just a storyline but planning of gameplay mechanics as well,

Translation: "I have this cool idea and I want other people who actually have skills to sign up and do all the work for me."

Don't take this the wrong way, but people with ideas are a dime a dozen. Why would someone with the skills to actually code something decide they wanted to bring YOUR idea to life with THEIR hard work?

ditto to Springheel

Nothing wrong with your ideas per se (they actually sound pretty cool), but you MUST do them yourself, there is no way on God's Green Earth that some team of coders is going to show up and do it for you.

You might want to ask yourself if you are prepared to spend 20+ hours per week, week in and week out, for around three or four years, to make this happen. That's 3000-4000 hours. If you are THAT committed, then others will join you after you have something to show, like in a year or so, then a few more will join the next year, and you may be able to end up producing something truly great.

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

Translation: "I have this cool idea and I want other people who actually have skills to sign up and do all the work for me."

Don't take this the wrong way, but people with ideas are a dime a dozen. Why would someone with the skills to actually code something decide they wanted to bring YOUR idea to life with THEIR hard work?

on one hand i can understand why you come to such a conclusion however i am offended by this comment but im not angered as i reason with your perceptive conclusion.

Firstly writing a story in depth with intresting conversations and diverse characters is not just an idea it is legitmate hard work that requires time. im offended due to the fact that your comment portrays me as some lazy git that likes to boss poeople around. i am not of this nature and this is not my character.

yess i do request the help of coders, but at this stage it is simply to code the main game play mechanics and nothing else. furthermore this section of the code will be open source for future modders to use as id like the modding community to expand whilst simotanously the level of work gets lifted of thier shoulders. on a final note coders who volunteer to help out will recive full credit.

additionally i am fairly new to the modding scene however I am eager to contribute, you cannot expect me to learn everything over night. as im pretty sure it did not take you overnight toget to where you are. I am currently going through max and photoshop tutorials and hope to contribute to the art work for this mod project in a years time.

Since you're a newbie then, I'll try to calmly explain something you might not fully appreciate regarding this:

it is simply to code the main game play mechanics and nothing else.

There is no such thing as "simply coding main game play mechanics".

What seems at first like even the most basic mechanics, once you actually get into the code turns out to be something that will take months of hard, full time work, just to get it to do the job badly; then another few months to bug fix and clean it up. And that's just for one mechanic, when you need to have dozens on your list to do anything interesting.

Once you get an appreciation for that, you start to realize just what you're really asking people to take on for your project. It's a tremendous amont of work even for the smallest thing. "Credit" isn't enough to motivate people. They have to share the same vision and be doing it for themselves, too.

What you really want to find are a few people that are as committed and excited as you are to a new Deus Ex-type game, that are also newbies, but wanting to go on this journey with you too for their own reasons.

Coming before some jaded old crusties like this group isn't the best place to start (who are anyway completely swamped with this mod!). Hit up some Deus Ex forums and find other people that have already thought of this idea. Because believe it or not, you're not the only one that's thought of doing this, and all of you need to find each other so your enthusiasm will all be pointed in the same direction. That's actually exactly where you should start; if you can't get something off the ground technically yourself, look for another Deus Ex Total Conversion mod that's close to what you're doing and start contributing your ideas and design plans, and build off their work.

Edit: I should add a serious piece of advice. If you are really new at this, create a modest small mod you can do entirely by yourself, to learn the ropes ... a Doom 3 mod, a HL2 mod, a Deus Ex mod ... anything (preferably in the engine you want to do your TC in). And save your big ambitious plans for after you finish it off by yourself. You will be soooo much more experienced and know exaclty what the engine can do and what you're asking for when you make plans, that it will be 1000% improvement in your design plans. And you *can* learn every aspect of it to make a modest but full mod because complete tutorials exist for every engine.

I'm serious about this. I wouldn't have known where to begin with some of my bigger plans now if I hadn't made some smaller stuff first completely by myself.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

A good example might be a friend of mine who wanted to make a Thiefy HL2 mod. I told him to start slow: see if he can just make a lightgem that works in vanilla half-life 2, and demanded that he do it by himself before he even thinks of building a team. Heck: even SEEING the lightgem would add a really cool new gameplay value and attract attention to him.

He quit after downloading and wading through the source sdk. Not what I want to see out of any mod project.

EDIT: You know: if I wasn't busy with Dark Mod, college, orchestra, etc, I probably wouldn't have minded starting off with this by little projects; Make a little doom 3 mission/map in a DX-style, and get my english-major older brother to help with a story.

See? Start simple. What I mentioned above can be done by 1 man, and its already something small, but neat; It's cool but can set up for tons of expansion.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

I remember a long LONG time ago someone else started up a Dues Ex mod for doom3 but Eidos contacted him and actually got a cease and desists for him to change the name of the mod from Dues Ex: logo to something completely unrelated to Dues Ex. I don't know if that mod is still in development or was ever released it was so long ago around the time D3 was first released IIRC. It was on planetdoom.com so you may want to search that site for it one day.

1) Ultimatemale420: please add punctuation to your posts! Seriously.

2) They're right. I've been working on game mods myself, and it takes a serious chunk out of your free time. To make a total conversion, you need to spend thousands of man-hours doing coding for even basic mechanics. Start small, do a few reskins or something, or maybe a mission. If it turns out well, then start doing the work on your total conversion. Expect to have team members regularly drop out and leave you; it's hard to maintain a large stable team for long, so expect to do a lot of work yourself (at least until people see you are seriously committed).

3) Also, please spellcheck your first post.

Storm.

Edited by Stormbringer951
Ha! So what if I am, huh? Anyways, I work better when I'm drunk. It makes me fearless! If I see a bad guy, I'll just point my sword at him. And saaaaaay "HEY! Bad guy! You're not s'pposed to be here! Go home or I'll stick you with my sword...'til you go...'Ouch I'm dead!' Ahahahah (hic) See? Ain't no one gonna be messin with old Benny."