The Dark Mod Forums

Thank you.

Irenices

I want to congratulate you all, particularly my brother Dram who now has an industry job which im sure you guys helped him achieve! Thankyou for putting up/in so much work for us!

We will surely recompense you with years of loyalty and wonderful missions and entertainment to come!

Congratulations Broken Glass Studios, the Dark Mod team!

Tom

I second everything the OP said.

I've only played the training mission so far, but I've collected a few opinions along the way:

The bad:

• I don't like blocking, neither auto or manual. With auto I keep blocking too early, and with manual I either block too early (before I move the mouse), or I start a block in the wrong direction. I would like to change the block direction mid-block, or block just by looking in the right direction.
  • Keys clutter up the inventory a lot. I would like to be able to drop them. Perhaps having a keychain or a tool roll could also be an idea?

The good:

• Lots of gameplay options. I would say that one of the most important things in a game is that the player gets to play the game in his/her own way.
  • Attacking works great, looks cool, and thanks to the "invert attack" option, I find it very intuitive.
  • Having a separate key for inventory and world frob is a good thing.
  • Being able to turn junk I'm holding is an awesome feature. It would have made barrel stacking in HL2 such a lot easier. I predict great things to come from the crate climbing crew.
  • Lockpicking is just awesome. It's not too simple and boring, not too hard, and it even carries more resemblance to actual lockpicking than to a pattern matching puzzle. I love the fact that you can pick by either visual- or aural clues. I picked the safe with my eyes closed, something I've never done in any other game ever. And being able to choose the difficulty is just icing on the cake.
  • Jumping and mantling simply works. Climbing around is a joy, because I don't have to fear making a ruckus or falling to my death. Also, I can mantle into windows too small to stand upright in.
  • Rope arrows kick ass. Swinging works nicely. Being able to stick them into movable objects is cool. Broadheads sticking in the rope is a nice touch, as is being able to slide down ropes, ladders and vines.
  • Everything else. Seriously! From the look and feel of the NPCs and environment, to the sounds, the tools, the menu, the HUD, etc., etc.

Right now I'm not playing TDM. Why? Because I'm patiently waiting for it to get dark outside.

Edited by Mortal Monkey

You guys rock. Thanks for all the kind words.

MM: Note that you can cycle groups as well as individual items in the inventory (it's in your key setup) which eases cycling through (and past) things.

This functionality is also not quite a single-use item like a keychain, but it helps cycling them when needed without making things "TDS-trivial."

I'm currently using Dark Radiant 0.10.0 - is there a newer version available with the Dark Mod 1.0 release, or is 0.10 still the latest?

Off to play the training mission. I feel like a kid on Xmas morning!

-DS:12

--- Author of:

Tomb of Horrors (coming January 2011)

I played all 4 missions last night and had a blast. I won't echo the praise that went before me, but I agree with all of it, especially the brilliant lockpicking scheme.

My only beef -a minor one- is that Garrett still sounds like he's prowling around in high heels. I realize its important to have feedback so players are aware of how much noise they're making, but this is a game many of us play with the volume cranked way up; every footfall is a bit too Loud.

Anyway, I'm hooked on the dark mod and I can't wait to devour the upcoming missions. Thank you for all the hard work. I only wish I had the technical skill to contribute to this project.

Thanks Yigg. But you'd better duck before 50 guys tell you there is no 'he who must not be named' in Dark Mod.

In Chalice the player character is Farrell. In the others there is no name.

I should have clarified: I'm something of a roleplayer, and when I'm sneaking I like to pretend I'm Mrs. Garrett from Facts of Life, you see...

Woot! Can't wait to finish downloading this. Thanks, Dev Team.

Ha! So what if I am, huh? Anyways, I work better when I'm drunk. It makes me fearless! If I see a bad guy, I'll just point my sword at him. And saaaaaay "HEY! Bad guy! You're not s'pposed to be here! Go home or I'll stick you with my sword...'til you go...'Ouch I'm dead!' Ahahahah (hic) See? Ain't no one gonna be messin with old Benny."

Wow, you did it! Congratulations !! :o 5 years of work... awesome

I will start mapping after i have finished the 3 levels

Downloadig and Installing worked just fine, the training mission is really cool. I dont really like the fighting but thats not what i want in stealth games anyway. I am trying The Chalice of Kings now and i cant wait so see you later ^^

Edit: Thank you very much for your hard work!

Edit2: Chalice of Kings... awesome work Fidcal!

Edited by Sonosuke

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

i am heading over to my buddy's game room/club house to install and play with this now!

so excited!

looking forward to playing the 100's of FM's that will be coming in the future.

again,

i thank the whole team!

~LoopLetcher

Edited by Loopy

I WANT MORE!! :-D I just finished the three Missions. I am so damn looking forward for the first FMs. It's really amazing, how much can still be squeezed out of good old Doom 3 engine. The graphics were crazy, especially in the Trainingmap. Great work. You nailed it a 100 percent!

Finished the training mission, smack bang job guys!

Nitpicking wise, yeah i had one CTD which i dont know the cause of (it was a few hours of uninterrupted play and i hadnt saved!) and fighting, while great one vs one, is a bit of a cluster with multiple opponents. Unlike Thief, swinging weapons dont impact objects and other AI, which is what id have to say i miss most from Thief (it was lots of fun watching AI strike each other). The observant will note that if thats what i miss most, im not missing much!

However these are golf balls before the Eiffel tower of your achievement here. Absolutely fantastic mod, spot on. Youve just made Thief 3; or is that Un-Thief3?

Edited by tommo

First of all, TDM superseded my expectations. Most Pros/Cons have already been mentioned, here is another one.

The behaviour of dragged bodies. You never see where you've grabbed the body and so it behaves somewhere between

realistic and just goofy. I've spent 5 Minuten trying to drag a body through a doorframe. It has not to be as simple

as the "flung-over-shoulder" method from Thief, but in my opinion a simple grab under the armpits would also do the job :blink:

I loved the fact that you can roate & turn objects you are holding !

Well, dragging a heavy body into a good hiding spot in a short time is pretty hard to do IRL. Not that I would know anything about that or anything. ;)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

freaking awesome!

i really enjoyed playing with this MOD so far.

i had a huge smile the whole time.

i did not beat any of the missions yet,

i'm just having fun being in this updated Thief world,

and checking out how everything feels/works.

so far i have not encountered any malfunctions.

everything seems to run perfectly for me.

it's just beautiful,

and i am chomping at the bit to see more FM's.

you all did great job with The Dark Mod!

thanks,

~LoopLetcher