The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Training Mission (2009/10/17)

Fidcal

Probably everyone would agree in principle but if you could see the long list of work to do and the short list of manpower available to do it and imagine the very few number of players who would use this for any great length of time then it then its hard to see this getting done anytime soon.

You realize you can fix your own version if you want?

Yes, people need to stop waiting for the development team to do everything. The fact is, we don't have enough people to do the things that are really important, let alone small details that would only have a minimal impact.

If you think it's important for the map to be changed, then go ahead and load up DR and change it. If it really is better, then we'll be happy to include the changes in the next update. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey there,

To address the few issues people were having with things like searching bodies for keys and snubbing out candles; I have added such things to the stealth training section, however while I am here I thought I might as well touch up some other areas people commented on.

Done:

Added candle snubbing info and an area for that.

Added a key search and information about more than one key/item.

Improved climbing out of the water under the rope area.

Removed the yellow lighting from the "Light the candles/torches" area (since people thought the yellow models were a bug and easily found them anyway)

Resized and adjusted the barn behind the archery range to soak up stray arrows instead of them silently breaking on the stones.

Fixed up the walking out of the map in the climbing area.

Very cool! Do we want to release the updated version with v1.01 or as a sep. thing before that?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

The training map is part of the main mod download, isn't it? It would have to be included in an update if so. Obviously after it has been beta-tested, etc.

Ideally, as part of the next version.

At the moment I'm just throwing myself around and trying to test as much as I can while I have time to burn and I want to give it a few days for other people to throw in any ideas/comments, tho I will take a more details read through all the fm threads and try find generic issues.

Have you also added a scenario where one has to shoulder a body in order to proceed? I am just asking because you suggested this but didn't list it now...

Ah yes, I mentioned it in the text... but it is a very good idea to try constrain the player into shouldering...

I'll have to think of how to do that now :)

Thanks for the reminder :)

Ah yes, I mentioned it in the text... but it is a very good idea to try constrain the player into shouldering...

Thanks for the reminder :)

+1, i agree with the cool idea.

You can ask player to bring the body up the stairs. I think without shouldering it is nearly impossible: the bodies are to heavy to lift up. Though if a player tries hard he will do it... If the height of each step in the staircase is near 1/3 of player height (gigantic steps) it would be really impossible to pull it up. The correct way is [shoulder the body + throw it on the next step] repeat.

You can ask player to bring the body up the stairs. I think without shouldering it is nearly impossible: the bodies are to heavy to lift up. Though if a player tries hard he will do it... If the height of each step in the staircase is near 1/3 of player height (gigantic steps) it would be really impossible to pull it up. The correct way is [shoulder the body + throw it on the next step] repeat.

Great minds think alike :)

My plan is to take the guard to a location up a few stairs to a bed where he should be tucked in for a good nights' sleep...

My plan is to take the guard to a location up a few stairs to a bed where he should be tucked in for a good nights' sleep...

A bed might be misleading: there's no feature that a corpse on a bed will be mistaken as "sleeping AI". Maybe tuck the body behind some barrels or behind a wall of crates?

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

A bed might be misleading: there's no feature that a corpse on a bed will be mistaken as "sleeping AI". Maybe tuck the body behind some barrels or behind a wall of crates?

Yeah, the room looked pretty shit with a bed in it, looks more realistic with crates etc, also fits in with the other ui comments etc.

• 3 weeks later...

thanks for the darkmod, great work.

I have a problem with this training mission, when I am at the melee or archery range, my weapons doesn't get drawn. I stands sword or arrows in the lower left corner, but no weapon is shown on screen. When I try to equip the sword, I see it for an instant, then it disapears. Also the same in the climbing room, I can't get past the point where you are supposed to shot an arrow at the wooden beam. I says rope arrows in the lower left corner, but I have no bow in hand.

Tried the Outpost FM, and there I had weapons..

Any Idea what the cause could be?

Thank you

krist2

All I can think of is a config difference, eg key bind conflict. Try this:

UNinstall the current FM at the Dark Mod New Mission menu and exit.

Copy DoomConfig.cfg from doom3\outpost to doom3\training_mission.

Launch TDM again and see if that fixes it.

If not, maybe try running tdmupdater again to see if any files got missed? I'm guessing here because I can't imagine how this could happen. The only difference is in the trainer you have to get the weapons whereas in the other FM the player already has them at the start.

I did as you said, and started a new game in the training mission (not loading the save I had), and now it works. Thanks alot, both .cfg files was the same size though... well, I'm gonna have a great time with the mods now. Have to get to play through the original games also, only played about half of the first one when it came out. And with the Darkloader and all the FM out for the first 3 games I should have enough to do for the rest of this year :D

• 2 weeks later...