The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Training Mission (2009/10/17)

Fidcal

• 1 month later...

I have a minor problem with training... when I enter melee room, after some time of sparing game just crash! and that happens right in the moment when I die... I mean, it's a minor problem and it happens only here( I read here that I could probably solve this problem with a catalyst)... everything else is working perfect and it's apsolutely beautiful. I am still in shock, can't believe that I'm playing this. I mean, when I played saint lucia it just had that feeling, I had it in my stomach! THAT WAS IT!!! thief how it meant to be:D You guys did a great job and I salute you..

mike

P.S. sorry for the bad english...

• Like 1

Basically, from the many things I've read, there is a "feature" that ATI cards have that is called "Catalyst AI".

Turning this off seems to solve quite a few problems for quite a few people.

If you have an ATI card I would give it a try, Mike.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

I do have ati card, tried what you suggested, but unfortunately with no luck. thanks anyway bro, it's really no big deal, all I have to do is get better at melee so I don't die or save just in front of the arena:D anyways I should be gratefull cos no bigger problems did ocur... everything goes smooth, every fm I play goes perfect (except "return to the city" which lags a bit and it pisses me of since everybody praise the mission:D)

cheers aidakeeley

I'm not too worried about this issue, more just interested in it. Did you by any chance have the mission installed before 1.01 was updated? If you have a few minutes could you jump through these hoops and give me a yes/no ? :) pretty please?

2. Could you set your installed mission to something that isnt the training mission.
  3. Go to C:\doom3\ or similar and delete the training_mission folder
  4. Go to C:\doom3\darkmod\fms\ and delete the training_mission folder and .pk4 file if there is one
  5. Run the TDM updater - it should want to download the training map - let it
  6. Run TDM, change map to training, check if the crash is still there - your savegames should have been deleted but just take a walk to the area.
  7. Report if you still have the issue.

That would help :)

well, I can tell you one thing, the crashes are still there but they occur less frequently... maybe once in every 20min, and I tell you man, it's only when they kill me in melee arena. I would say that this helped to prolong the time till crash happens. And when it does it's that classic crash that says "doom3 has stoped working"... thanks for your help anyways:D

While I'm still here just want to state one thing about combat mechanics. I am apsolutely blown away with how melee is done!!!! As I remember some of the guys were not so pleased with melee, saying it's odd, it's doesent work, it's to hard... Well It works and it's PERFECT and I like it because of it complexity(when I remember that retarded one button swinging in thief 3 I want to throw up)!!!:D Here everything works, it just needs practice. I mean man, it feels so good when you get into system (it does take some time, but believe you me, when you get used to the fighting mechanics the melee becomes so rewarding). First time I steped into arena I couldn't know my head from my ass.. but time passes and you get to know how it's done, then you're getting used to use various swings and later they start to make perfect sense... and then all of a sudden you are paring with two guards and it looks and it feels great.:D I couldnt stress harder how much I'm pleased with what TDM guys have done with this. It's like, I'm parring with hammerite for more than half a minute cos of his thick armor, I block his overhead swing, then I stab him in the stomach with the low swing, flank him left and left swing his neck, blood splashes :D and the best thing is that this is not as easy as it sounds!!!! I really liked how looking glass have done sword parring too, but this is uber advancement!!! congratulations TDM!! and thanks one more time..

mike

• 1 year later...

Wow - that is some masterful mantling, especially getting into the guard's booth to steal the key; loved the touch of locking him in afterwards too :smile: . I never actually completed that section of the training (I just couldn't work out how to get past), but having played about 16 FMs I may give it another go now.

• 2 years later...

These are not the hints you're looking for... ::[waves hand]:: Think outside the box young jedi and all these things will appear to you.

I think someone posted a video if you search google video or something, you'll find it. But .... that would hinder your thief training padawan.

:)

Found 'em, would have helped if I'd got the spyglass first though, I'd tell you which ones I missed but I'm not sure how to do spoiler tags on here.

One thing I did find in objects & manipulation there's a floating light source thats missed the torch it's supposed to be in see pic 1 & pic 2 it's in the area with the food

Smaller versions of those pics are

training_mission_objects_room_torch_1_small.jpg

training_mission_objects_room_torch_2_small.jpg

Hope this is of use, absolutely loving this and this is just the training mission, thanks guys

• 4 months later...

Well, since I never commented this mission, here I am. I won't make a long review now. I actually came here to report a bug.

But first, let me say that this is one of the best training missions I've ever played. It's really complete and I really like all the attention to the details. I especially like how all the training areas are very well organized and separated in different rooms. The aspect I probably most like about this mission is the freedom to explore the entire map and train any skill in any given order and in any time.

Now, I'll say what I actually came here to say. I went back to this mission again, and I was really surprised to see that one of the first bugs I ever found in this game was still there!

The bug is that sometimes when I climb that area close to the barrels I get stuck and I cannot move. I really hope you guys fix this bug, since this is an official mission.

Screenshot of the bug:

KiXau2.jpg

Thanks!

Edited by Jon Irenicus
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...