The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Crown of Penitence by Jesps (2009/10/17)

Fidcal

The Crown of Penitence by Jesps

post-400-0-08453500-1355770784_thumb.jpg

Steal The Crown of Penitence from Lord Rowlett.

Please post all feedback and questions in this thread.

Info:

This was originally a contest mission for a one-month startpack contest.

Build Time: One month + plus a lot more to get it ready for release of The Dark Mod.

Author: Jesps (Jesper Thingholm)

A special thanks to Springheel for the readables and animated briefing.

All custom paintings are painted by Peder Severin Kroeyer (1851 - 1909)

post-400-0-83056700-1355770950_thumb.jpg post-400-0-01369600-1355770961_thumb.jpg post-400-0-38080200-1355770969_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

VelvetFistIronGlove:

Find the master bedroom where the lord hangs out (it will be upstairs, approached from a long corridor where the patrolling guard carries the key). Beside the bed, there are two flower pots; behind one, there is a secret button that opens the safe.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

At the top of the stairs, that huge red carpet doesn't quite fit, and so the very corner has been upturned against the wall. I LOVE detail like that. It's as if they ordered that huge thing only to realise that the dimensions were slightly off.

No one would send it back. Oh well, just turn the corner up a little.  :laugh:

I also noticed that corner. Simple but beautiful!

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

There are some readables around that give clues, though some of them are well-hidden too. :)

This mission was quick, but I had diffuculties getting to to run in the first place.

saying map error unable to load map.

I got it to work after placing the map file in the main darkmod folder.

Nice work!

JV

You need to first make sure you are launching doom3/darkmod/tdmlauncher.exe and not doom3/Doom3.exe. Then on the New Missions menu try UNinstall and install again. Otherwise you will have problems with all the FMs.

You need to first make sure you are launching doom3/darkmod/tdmlauncher.exe and not doom3/Doom3.exe. Then on the New Missions menu try UNinstall and install again. Otherwise you will have problems with all the FMs.

I did try that many times and still no-go, I just had to get it to work and check it out, thats why the folder got put there, nothing else seemed to work and yes I used the tdm launcher.

I didn't want to do that but it was the only solution unfortunatly. heck I even had to repack the zip into a pk4.

after that chalice and outpost worked perfectly this is the only one I had trouble getting started.

also the first page of objectives is blank and there are no purchases after that, thats if there is one?

example:the tutorial level is in its own folder in the fms directory with a pk4 in it. the other missions I had to do the same or else it wouldnt work

I don't know why. but the pk4 solution seemed to make it work. it wouldn't read as a .zip

I shouldn't have to change anything really, but should anyone have trouble that might help.

I'm just telling you what my first experience with all this has been like so far,

the most important thing is that the darkmod WORKS! functions well enough to enjoy it.

It is an amazing labor of love, just incredible. more wiki to read.....

so far the darkmod toolset is well done, F3 is the magic button for rendering lighting and textures.

looking foward to more FMS definatly, and will make one myself too.

Edited by bladeghost

heck I even had to repack the zip into a pk4.

You must be using IE, which (annoyingly) renames the pk4 to a zip on download. You should only need to rename the extension back to pk4 for it to work.

also the first page of objectives is blank and there are no purchases after that, thats if there is one?

Yeah, if you move the map file, then you won't see the briefing or objectives. I'm surprised the readables worked, actually.

Sorry, there's a bug if the player accidentally blocks the door as it is opening. A workaround is this:

Open the safe and stand close. Now try to close the door but block it with your body. Check if you can frob the stuff. You will probably need to keep doing this several times but I've tried it and it does work eventually. You might also try closing the door and opening it a few times while blocking it. Eventually it should trigger the stuff to be frobable. :)

Sorry, wrong FM. I don't know the answer to this one.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Chalice? I don't think you can

close the safe

in Crown of Penitence.

I cannot take the item from the safe room. I opened it's covering but cannot frob/take/grab. sad.gif

It can sometimes be a bit tricky to frob the items inside the vault. Try leaning to the sides or (if no one can hear you) jumping while frobbing

Oh! Before I forget. A big thank you to Springheel for making the readables.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Chalice? I don't think you can

close the safe

in Crown of Penitence.

Oh... sorry. It seems I mixed up some things here. Yes. I'm speaking of that FM. :) Sorry.

Winkler Studio: youtube.com/user/woszkar

this mission sounds great but im getting the install issue with only this fm, i got the other working fine, ive tired all the fixes in the faq as well as a combination of my own devising but no luck im downloading it again just in case but i dont like my chances... Prays to the gods of TDM to smite the offending issue :)

Unless the file is corrupt there is no need to download again. Once you have the pk4 you can back it up somewhere. All you need do is:

If this game is already the currently 'installed' FM in the New Missions menu then UNinstall this FM at the Dark Mod New Missions menu

Exit Dark Mod

Delete any previous folders to do with this FM:

doom3/crown_of_penitence

doom3/darkmod/fms/crown_of_penitence

Now you are in the position you will be in whenever you download a new FM.

All you have to do normally is download any FM pk4 into the darkmod/fms folder. That's it! No need to extract or unzip anything.

The only other thing some users have to do is:

Make sure the pk4 is not renamed zip by Internet Explorer during the download. If it is then rename the suffix back to .pk4. Don't unzip the zip. Just rename the suffix to .pk4. Complain to M$oft if you want. (you might also look in Internet Explorer's settings to see if it can give you a warning or even be disabled. It's probably under security or something.)

Put the pk4 in darkmod/fms

Run Dark Mod. It is that simple normally.

It was a short mission, although dumping the entire staff of the mansion into the lord's bed was a fairly amusing pastime (almost beats trying to stack Hammerites). The only criticism that I have is that the path is too linear; I understand that you only built the map in a very short time so that's fair enough. It's just a bit jarring that some doors are just part of the scenery while others weren't. The safe button was well hidden, I searched for it for just long enough to be interesting without becoming frustrating.

The flavour text was rather absorbing to read and bits of it made me smile. I'll probably try again on the hardest difficulty; I tried it through on the one below and found that slightly too easy this time. Oh well.

Ha! So what if I am, huh? Anyways, I work better when I'm drunk. It makes me fearless! If I see a bad guy, I'll just point my sword at him. And saaaaaay "HEY! Bad guy! You're not s'pposed to be here! Go home or I'll stick you with my sword...'til you go...'Ouch I'm dead!' Ahahahah (hic) See? Ain't no one gonna be messin with old Benny."

• 2 weeks later...

There's a bug in this mission by the way. If you go into Lord Rowlett's study and mantle on top of his bookshelf, due to the code somehow you end up floating up outside the map boundaries. I'll upload a save of it when I have time.

Ha! So what if I am, huh? Anyways, I work better when I'm drunk. It makes me fearless! If I see a bad guy, I'll just point my sword at him. And saaaaaay "HEY! Bad guy! You're not s'pposed to be here! Go home or I'll stick you with my sword...'til you go...'Ouch I'm dead!' Ahahahah (hic) See? Ain't no one gonna be messin with old Benny."