Fan Mission: Chalice of Kings by Fidcal (2009/10/17)

132 replies to this topic

#51 thelvyn

• PipPip
  • 460 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 08:56 PM

This was pretty decent but I had some issues unfortunately.
I was trapped in the armory in the corner and had to reload.
Unfortunately every time I hit quickload the game crashes with an access violation.
Visual studio grabs it, unfortunately I have no idea how to debug a full screen 3d app so I cant give more information then that.
The other missions all worked fine for me not one single crash, this one plays fine as long as I dont try to quickload it.

my system
ECS 945PL-A
2gb DDR2-667(2x1Gb sticks)
Pentium D-805 2.66Ghz (Stock its not overclocked)
320GB WD, 640GB WD, LG 22x DVD Burner all sata
EVGA Nvidia 8600GT 256MB GDDR2
Dell 20" WideSreen 1680x1050
Windows XP SP3 fully patched

EDIT
i was changing the compression setting and noticed that I had a directory for each map so i deleted all of them and reinstalled the map now it loads fine>

The odd thing was I COULD load the save file made by quicksave I just couldnt use quickload key to do it

Edited by thelvyn, 24 October 2009 - 10:57 PM.

I haven't lost my mind. It's backed up on disk!
Oops bad sectors damn floppy's!

#52 cYmoZz

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 04:44 PM

Great fan mission, I had a good time playing it!

two little bugs that are worth mentioning:

- as already mentioned the dome around the chalice is buggy - I couldnt frob the chalice when the dome was opened, when I closed it, I could frob it.

- At some point the guard that walked up to the second floor was walking completely silent - no footsteps could be heard (he was still mumbling though). Shortly before that happened (or maybe it happened at the same time), my own footstep were completely silent, too. This problem didn't last long though, unfortunately I don't remember what I did to resolve it. (might have done a qickload)

#53 id3839315

• PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 02:33 PM

View PostRailGun, on 18 October 2009 - 08:17 AM, said:

i can't take the crown without alerting the other guards and placing the fake doesn't seem to do much good
Very nice mission.
You don't need to replace the crown if it is the last objective. The mission is complete as soon as you take it and the guards can't react. :)
I think "Return to the start when all objectives are done" is missing in this mission.

#54 Fidcal

Lead Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,561 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 03:45 PM

Yes, I think on Easy level you don't need to get back to the yard. Glad you enjoyed it id.

#55 duzenko

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:17 PM

Where do I find
Spoiler
?

#56 Fidcal

Lead Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,561 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 04:25 PM

Hint:
Spoiler

Nudge:
Spoiler

Big push:
Spoiler

#57 lostbuthappy

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 08:14 AM

Hi Fidcal (also Hi to everybody else),

just finished your map and wanted to drop some feedback. First of all: It's awesome and great fun to play and while it's not exactly big it still managed to entertain me for more than an hour (and I didn't even find all the loot!). I think it's the most polished tdm mission that I played so far and showcases a lot of the possibilities the mod has to offer.
Spoiler

Thanks for putting so much effort into this mission, I appreciate it.
lbh

Edited by lostbuthappy, 14 December 2009 - 08:19 AM.

#58 Fidcal

Lead Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,561 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 09:07 AM

Thanks Lostbuthappy; glad you enjoyed it.

At one time I seriously considered putting in a
Spoiler

Yeah, I got carried away with the
Spoiler
The space was already defined. With hindsight I would have spaced the contents out more.

I never thought of
Spoiler

Watch out for Thief's Den III which is now alpha. Ten times bigger which means 2.1 x 10 million keys! Sorry - just seems to be the way I make FMs - lots of stuff to slow you down. I hate just running through FMs grabbing stuff - boring.

#59 etdarkb

• PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:59 AM

ehm... where is the download link? (sorry for probably stupid question)

#60 Fidcal

Lead Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,561 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:39 PM

Not available yet - still in alpha stage! Watch out for it next year I should have said. ;)

#61 Master Thief

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 02:45 PM

awesome mission Fidcal! :)

The best from all six available for now, I think.

Surely, You're one of the most talented FM authors. I still really enjoy playing T2 FM The Night Watch, one of the greatest and most original FM's.

now I can't wait for Thief's Den III :)

If you'll need testers in the future, I'll be glad to help.

Sorry for my english, doing my best ;)

Edited by Master Thief, 15 December 2009 - 02:45 PM.

#62 Fidcal

Lead Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,561 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 05:34 PM

Thanks Master Thief. Glad you liked NW too because as you know I can't resist making the player think his way through rather than just be led by the nose (ie rather difficult!) So I was getting a bit worried about my next FM because some don't like that sort of thing. Guess it will suit you though. Many readable clues, twists and turns and characters and obstacles to annoy or delight. ;)

#63 Master Thief

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 December 2009 - 06:29 PM

certainly it will suit me :)

All I need now is... patience :)

#64 etdarkb

• PipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 17 December 2009 - 06:59 PM

I liked this fan mission. Lots of KO and the mask is somewhat hard to find.
Moreover the AI had some strange patrols so it was hard to know where to hide.

But the real problem is I had few crashes (never happened in any other mission): what is the bug reporting procedure in this cases?

Question: while unneeded how can I open the blue door in the kitchen?

Enclosed picture: it sounded just fair.

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   313.6K   37 downloads

#65 Fidcal

Lead Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,561 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 02:35 AM

Crashes: there were reports about crashes when a pedestal was in view both in the parlour and in Mudgeon's room. Also in the object section of the trainer map. I can't remember what the solution was to this.

Door:
Spoiler

#66 SeriousToni

Beginner Contest 2012 Winner

• PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:30 AM

Just did play this mission today.
The brushwork and object placement is very nice. Same for the lights.
What was a bit annoying is that I wasn't able to see the keys on the belts from the people I knocked out. So I ran around nearly 30 minutes until I klicked many times on the corpses. Then I suddenly got the keys. Was that allready mentioned before?
Another thing is that I couldn't frob the artifact like allready said before. I was lucky that I buyed a rope arrow. Is there a way to climb up there if you dont have rope arrows?
Nice mission though!
"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

#67 Fidcal

Lead Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,561 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:57 AM

I agree about the keys. I already complained. I have a real hard time seeing them at all.

Yes, you can climb up and make a jump mantle. Might need to try a few times but it's easy with practice.

#68 Sonosuke

• PipPip
  • 300 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 11:31 PM

OH, i forgot to write my comment here O.O . Sorry.

I really enjoyed this map, it was nice hard and good to play, even the playtime was enjoyable. I have found no bugs. Overall 5 * out of 5
Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

#69 SeriousToni

• PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 04:57 PM

I wonder what that glass stuff is, the guards throw at me continuosly when I hide in the elevator. :o
"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

#70 Fidcal

Lead Mapper

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,561 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 05:35 PM

Bottles. To get them to use objects that are lying around appropriate to the location needs more work so we settled for bottles.

#71 SeriousToni

• PipPipPip
  • 1,598 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 12:38 PM

oh I must say he's got maaaany bottles ^^

#72 SneakyJack

• PipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:04 PM

Looking forward to Thief's Den III!

#73 Crispy

Uber member

• PipPipPipPip
  • 4,996 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 08:33 PM

View PostSeriousToni, on 06 January 2010 - 12:38 PM, said:

oh I must say he's got maaaany bottles ^^
100 green bottles, sitting on the wall
100 green bottles, sitting on the wall
But if one green bottle were to "accidentally" "fall"
There'd be 99 green bottles sitting on the wall...
My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

#74 Galloglass

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:57 AM

Hi Fidcal - am a Thief fan from the 1st game. Really enjoying the TDM, and your Chalice mission - but I am encountering crash probs. 1st time I played I found the game would crash whenever I unlocked certain doors, which led me to try altering video settings - which seemed to leave the perspective skewed and the resolution very blocky, no matter how I tried to alter it thereafter. I had to reinstall the TDM into the darkmod folder, overwriting the files, then restarted. This time I am not going anywhere near the vid settings - but now I am in the barracks room, have sapped the mullet-hair guy, got his key, and heading back out, only thats where it crashes.

I played Outpost before this without any problem at all.

Any suggestions?

#75 Serpentine

Uber member

• Active Developer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:47 AM

If you havent updated your drivers, please try the latest build - I'm going to assume you are using an ATI/AMD graphics card, you can find the drivers over at : http://game.amd.com

If that doesnt fix the problem, there is a model in TDM that has been causing trouble for some people. Updating drivers seemed to fix it however it has been fixed internally but no update has been released to fix it in the base version, so if you dont have any luck with drivers, just post back in here and I'll explain how to manually sort it out :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users