The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Chalice of Kings by Fidcal (2009/10/17)

Fidcal

This was pretty decent but I had some issues unfortunately.

I was trapped in the armory in the corner and had to reload.

Unfortunately every time I hit quickload the game crashes with an access violation.

Visual studio grabs it, unfortunately I have no idea how to debug a full screen 3d app so I cant give more information then that.

The other missions all worked fine for me not one single crash, this one plays fine as long as I dont try to quickload it.

my system

ECS 945PL-A

2gb DDR2-667(2x1Gb sticks)

Pentium D-805 2.66Ghz (Stock its not overclocked)

320GB WD, 640GB WD, LG 22x DVD Burner all sata

EVGA Nvidia 8600GT 256MB GDDR2

Dell 20" WideSreen 1680x1050

Windows XP SP3 fully patched

EDIT

i was changing the compression setting and noticed that I had a directory for each map so i deleted all of them and reinstalled the map now it loads fine>

The odd thing was I COULD load the save file made by quicksave I just couldnt use quickload key to do it

Edited by thelvyn

I haven't lost my mind. It's backed up on disk!

Oops bad sectors damn floppy's!

Great fan mission, I had a good time playing it!

two little bugs that are worth mentioning:

- as already mentioned the dome around the chalice is buggy - I couldnt frob the chalice when the dome was opened, when I closed it, I could frob it.

- At some point the guard that walked up to the second floor was walking completely silent - no footsteps could be heard (he was still mumbling though). Shortly before that happened (or maybe it happened at the same time), my own footstep were completely silent, too. This problem didn't last long though, unfortunately I don't remember what I did to resolve it. (might have done a qickload)

i can't take the crown without alerting the other guards and placing the fake doesn't seem to do much good

Very nice mission.

You don't need to replace the crown if it is the last objective. The mission is complete as soon as you take it and the guards can't react. :)

I think "Return to the start when all objectives are done" is missing in this mission.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Fidcal (also Hi to everybody else),

just finished your map and wanted to drop some feedback. First of all: It's awesome and great fun to play and while it's not exactly big it still managed to entertain me for more than an hour (and I didn't even find all the loot!). I think it's the most polished tdm mission that I played so far and showcases a lot of the possibilities the mod has to offer.

I wanted to ghost this mission or at least try not to cause a fuss so it was quite a problem that I failed to notice the key on the board for like fifteen minutes. I managed to get up on the ledge by jumping on the target and then mantling on the lamp and checked the second floor windows, which wouldn't budge. If you ever plan on improving this map I'd certainly like an alternate route through one of the windows.

After I finally found the key everything went smooth and I had a lot of fun exploring the place. It was very satisfying to find that bag of coins under the chessboard and that note about the coinpurse hidden where "you won't find it" motivated me to carefully inspect the room again with a thievish grin on my face.

Getting the estimated 2.1 million keys to open the armoury made me feel like an errand boy, but I understand that this was neccessary to make the most of the limited space. I'm quite sensitive when it comes to badly mapped rooms, misplaced furniture etc. so I think the fact that I didn't notice anything wrong means that everything is splendid. The armory was a bit small though, not for me, but for the guards. After I unlocked the door one of them would come in and start walking in circles (I had shot a moss arrow on the ground btw.). Luring him away with a noisemaker arrow didn't work as he appeared to be stuck. So I knocked him out. Just when I dropped his body in a dark place, the next guard would come in to walk in circles, so I knocked him out as well, only to attract the attention of a third guard, which - you guessed it - then walked in circles aswell.

Getting the items was fun, I especially liked the part with the chalice. Replacing the crown was very interesting, too. I simply dropped the fake one on the real one and then quickly took the original as I was under the impression that the two guards were actually seeing it. Also it was kind of a let down that there was no Indy Trap ™ coming after me ;~)

Thanks for putting so much effort into this mission, I appreciate it.

lbh

Edited by lostbuthappy
  • Like 1

Thanks Lostbuthappy; glad you enjoyed it.

At one time I seriously considered putting in a

n alternate route via a yard window but time was short.

Yeah, I got carried away with the

armoury. Springheel had just made all these great new weapons so I just had to cram them in.

The space was already defined. With hindsight I would have spaced the contents out more.

I never thought of

putting the replica on first. That should make it easier I think.

Watch out for Thief's Den III which is now alpha. Ten times bigger which means 2.1 x 10 million keys! Sorry - just seems to be the way I make FMs - lots of stuff to slow you down. I hate just running through FMs grabbing stuff - boring.

awesome mission Fidcal! :)

The best from all six available for now, I think.

Surely, You're one of the most talented FM authors. I still really enjoy playing T2 FM The Night Watch, one of the greatest and most original FM's.

now I can't wait for Thief's Den III :)

If you'll need testers in the future, I'll be glad to help.

Sorry for my english, doing my best ;)

Edited by Master Thief

Thanks Master Thief. Glad you liked NW too because as you know I can't resist making the player think his way through rather than just be led by the nose (ie rather difficult!) So I was getting a bit worried about my next FM because some don't like that sort of thing. Guess it will suit you though. Many readable clues, twists and turns and characters and obstacles to annoy or delight. ;)

I liked this fan mission. Lots of KO and the mask is somewhat hard to find.

Moreover the AI had some strange patrols so it was hard to know where to hide.

But the real problem is I had few crashes (never happened in any other mission): what is the bug reporting procedure in this cases?

Question: while unneeded how can I open the blue door in the kitchen?

Enclosed picture: it sounded just fair.

post-3534-126109400037_thumb.jpg

Crashes: there were reports about crashes when a pedestal was in view both in the parlour and in Mudgeon's room. Also in the object section of the trainer map. I can't remember what the solution was to this.

Door:

There are three keys hanging on the chimney wall.

Just did play this mission today.

The brushwork and object placement is very nice. Same for the lights.

What was a bit annoying is that I wasn't able to see the keys on the belts from the people I knocked out. So I ran around nearly 30 minutes until I klicked many times on the corpses. Then I suddenly got the keys. Was that allready mentioned before?

Another thing is that I couldn't frob the artifact like allready said before. I was lucky that I buyed a rope arrow. Is there a way to climb up there if you dont have rope arrows?

Nice mission though!

"Einen giftigen Trank aus Kräutern und Wurzeln für die närrischen Städter wollen wir brauen." - Text aus einem verlassenen Heidenlager

• 2 weeks later...

OH, i forgot to write my comment here O.O . Sorry.

I really enjoyed this map, it was nice hard and good to play, even the playtime was enjoyable. I have found no bugs. Overall 5 * out of 5

Ich konnte mich nicht erinnern Teleportation gezaubert zu haben und doch stand ich da... alleine und nackt.

oh I must say he's got maaaany bottles ^^

100 green bottles, sitting on the wall

100 green bottles, sitting on the wall

But if one green bottle were to "accidentally" "fall"

There'd be 99 green bottles sitting on the wall...

My games | Public Service Announcement: TDM is not set in the Thief universe. The city in which it takes place is not the City from Thief. The player character is not called Garrett. Any person who contradicts these facts will be subjected to disapproving stares.

Hi Fidcal - am a Thief fan from the 1st game. Really enjoying the TDM, and your Chalice mission - but I am encountering crash probs. 1st time I played I found the game would crash whenever I unlocked certain doors, which led me to try altering video settings - which seemed to leave the perspective skewed and the resolution very blocky, no matter how I tried to alter it thereafter. I had to reinstall the TDM into the darkmod folder, overwriting the files, then restarted. This time I am not going anywhere near the vid settings - but now I am in the barracks room, have sapped the mullet-hair guy, got his key, and heading back out, only thats where it crashes.

I played Outpost before this without any problem at all.

Any suggestions?

If you havent updated your drivers, please try the latest build - I'm going to assume you are using an ATI/AMD graphics card, you can find the drivers over at : http://game.amd.com

If that doesnt fix the problem, there is a model in TDM that has been causing trouble for some people. Updating drivers seemed to fix it however it has been fixed internally but no update has been released to fix it in the base version, so if you dont have any luck with drivers, just post back in here and I'll explain how to manually sort it out :)