The Dark Mod Forums

Fan Mission: Full Moon Fever by Spoonman (14/05/2016)

level

I've heard some good things about this!

Congrats on the release :D

It is here! :)

Congratulations on the release - and everyone else, drop what you are doing and play this mission. You won't be disappointed! :)

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

What's going on this week?

Congratulations on the release!

I look forward to it.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

Fantastic mission. If I was to summarize it in a few words I would say it's a fun classic thief mission with a very Thief: The Dark Project feel to it.

More detailed review below:

I have to say for a first mission you did an excellent job, that manor was freakin' huge and the mine/crypts underneath were a great twist and presented much more than I was expecting from the mission.

I started off the mission ghosting it but I thought ah screw it so I just black jacked everyone.. little did I know that would be meaningless in the end :P

Aesthetically the mission was spot on, there were a couple of minor graphical glitches here and there but that happens in all missions. All over all it felt very locked tight and well done.

My only annoyance were those damn vent doors, I would pick it up to move it and suddenly everyone and their mother knew I was sneaking around. Eventually I got the hang of it a bit but yeah, that was my only real annoyance (and thats just being nit picky anyway).

I really enjoyed your use of ambiance and noises as well, it was all very well done.

The level design overall was killer and even with a map I still got lost in that manor, however in typical TDP style by the end I knew my way around the manor without a map and it never became frustrating which is a good balance to strike. The details you put into all of the rooms were very impressive as well; the garden room, the stables, the kitchen, the barracks, the whole underneath the mission, the basement, the courtyard, the multiple points of access.. all of it, I loved it!

I really hope and am excited for whatever mission you make next.

Thank you for this gem! :)

Edited by Goldwell
  • Like 1

Available via mission downloader, can someone grab me some 800*600 screenshots and a mission intro text please?

Here are some I took, resized and with raised gamma levels, click the thumbnails for full size:

s5euhIzm.jpg r6fPMQ8m.jpg

dIBCPUim.jpg iHlwIIcm.jpg

I'm playing the mission right now and so far I'm really feeling it! I'll get back with my full thoughts once I finish it.

Edited by Spooks
  • Like 1

My FMs: The King of Diamonds (2016) | Visit my Mapbook thread sometimes! | Read my tutorial on Image-Based Lighting Workflows for TDM!

level, you should also post a thread about the mission on TTLG. There are some people there who don't check these forums all that often.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

level, you should also post a thread about the mission on TTLG. There are some people there who don't check these forums all that often.

Kin has done the honours -

- http://www.ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146636&p=2319266#post2319266

@Spooks, thanks fella.

I took it from Alberic's curse, but I thought it was part of the stock tdm resources. I didn't know it was yours. I'll give you credit, sorry.

Its all good fella, most people would have missed it but I recognised the outside layout. And its nice to see a new spin on things :-)

Congrats on the release,Spoonman!

I loved your missions Broken Hammers, Heretics and Pagans, The Lost Crusade.

A-ha! I didn't make that connection, but it all makes sense. I was wondering how someone could come up with a mission like this on a first try. Good to know you are back, then.

I also enjoyed your previous work (particularly Broken Hammers, which is brutal, and rather underrated).

Great mission, 5/5.

Especially the exteriors were very well made, didn´t know these kind of things could be achieved with the engine.
PS: I shot that rat with a fire arrow, is this supposed to change anything plotwise?

Edited by Cookie

A-ha! I didn't make that connection, but it all makes sense. I was wondering how someone could come up with a mission like this on a first try. Good to know you are back, then.

Now this is what I and I'm sure other like to see, old dromed mappers crossing over and trying out or Dev kit. Whats even more impressive is Spoonman learning how to use a additive editor, when previous he used a subtractive one (dromed) - all in a seemingly very short space of time.

I've been playing with darkradiant for a couple of years now. This is the only mission that I managed to finish, but I have several other failed projects too.

Don't we all?

• Like 2

This is an excellent mission through and through, with a very TDP-like feel mostly thanks to the dark textures, the overall deep darkness in the manor and the brilliant use of sounds to create a very unwelcoming atmosphere. Definitely one of the best TDM missions I've played in a while!
I asked this on TTLG but I will also ask here:

Is the area featured in the second screenshot posted above a tribute to Conspiracies in the Dark? The whole area is taken verbatim from it and I absolutely loved it.

One little bug I found: there is a solid brush with brick textures on the floor in the dining room.

HxDuYKbh.jpg

Yes. That fm was a big inspiration for making this. There were also a lot others. For instance, the crypt area (which I originally intended to be much bigger) was me trying to replicate "The Broadsword of Sheol" in terms of atmosphere.

Oh my.

As I was testing the mission and arrived at the underground chasm, I told myself "This thing really reminds me of The Broadsword of Sheol".

Mission accomplished, I guess. :ph34r:

• Like 1

That's what I thought myself as well, heh. The crypts were really well-made by the way. After seeing a bunch of not-at-all suspicious lying skeletons I had a feeling they'd come back to life. :P

Edited by skacky