The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

shot37.jpg

shot41.jpg

This is just a littel mission, but I´m kind of stuk at the moment as when I make the objectivs I can´t test the mission? it dmap´s ok but when I wan´t to play it DarkMod giv´s a error about not finding the map file???

This is just a littel mission, but I´m kind of stuk at the moment as when I make the objectivs I can´t test the mission? it dmap´s ok but when I wan´t to play it DarkMod giv´s a error about not finding the map file???

you can try using 'devmap <mapname like you gave dmap>' from console, just for super simple testing, it wont help with the objective issue etc.

I would try unpacking one of the released FM's and looking at how things are done there if you cant get things working from the info on the wiki :)

At the console, if you enter dmap and it works then it is accessing the map file so the same should apply to map. What do you see in the console if you enter dmap <tab key> or map <tab key> It should show what maps are in that folder. Is your map in the darkmod\fms folder and you are using tdmlauncher to develop and test? Have you possibly installed another FM since you last dmapped. If so, UNinstall it.

If not, when you get the error, enter condump console.txt then copy and paste here the last dozen lines from that (in the map folder) so we can see the actual error.

Map file might be corrupt I guess. Don't worry, it can likely be sorted out. Have you an earlier save just before you added the objectives?

Looking good anyway.

Looks good so far...how did you manage to include the thief model, btw?

Looks good so far...how did you manage to include the thief model, btw?

Like any AI I just createde him from the entity list under Thiefs?

@Fidcal

Her´s the 25 last lines from the console.txt It tells my nothing off whay the "map" don´t start after a I´v dmap and then try to run the map from the console?

7 reachable areas in cluster 8<BR>   116 reachable areas in cluster 9<BR>  1298 reachable areas<BR>  8350 reachabilities<BR>  2432 KB max routing cache<BR>[Write AAS]<BR>writing maps/tim/tim65.aas32<BR>done.<BR>     3 seconds to create AAS<BR>=======================================================<BR>no entities in map that use aas100<BR>=======================================================<BR>no entities in map that use aas_rat<BR>------------- Warnings ---------------<BR>during compiling AAS...<BR>WARNING: brush primitive 1216 on entity 0 is degenerate<BR>WARNING: brush primitive 1217 on entity 0 is degenerate<BR>2 warnings<BR>------------- Warnings ---------------<BR>during compiling AAS...<BR>WARNING: brush primitive 1216 on entity 0 is degenerate<BR>WARNING: brush primitive 1217 on entity 0 is degenerate<BR>2 warnings<BR>]condump console.txt<BR>Dumped console text to console.txt.

But maby this is not the tread to discuss this? so I´l make a tread for it!

Edited by Nielsen74

Like any AI I just createde him from the entity list under Thiefs?

Are you using a developer's build? The thief entity was supposed to be disabled from the release build. It's missing a lot of animations, not to mention using the old crappy mitten hands.

I think you are under the false impression that dmap both compiles and runs the map. It doesn't. You have to dmap then when it's done enter map as normal to actually play the map.

blush.gif Do I feel stupit now blush.gif

But when I enter >map<>my mis path< in the console, I can play what I´v build in DarkRadiand???

Edited by Nielsen74

yer but whay can´t I do it when there´s objectives in the map?

You probably can. As I said before, please attempt to type in dmap then map then condump console.txt then post the last dozen lines of console.txt here. When you did that before you clearly had not entered 'map'. Do it with map as well and if as you say it doesn't work then you should get an error. Please post it here.

Got a few shots from my mission, working title is "Nothing Fancy". Base architecture is 90% done, now the real work begins.

post-1607-126033084199_thumb.jpg

Lucia's a placeholder here, 6700+ polys will be a bit too rich for this area

post-1607-126033098496_thumb.jpg

post-1607-126033111639_thumb.jpg

I'm a bit of a patch fiend at the moment...

post-1607-126033116526_thumb.jpg

post-1607-126033121593_thumb.jpg

Just a humble common-folks home... nothing going on here... move along... heh

post-1607-126033126045_thumb.jpg

The kitchen that one guard always says he's going to hit soon

post-1607-126033129614_thumb.jpg

Arches? Vaults? oh yes, I know how to do arches and vaults (my hair is a shade further towards gray but a small price to pay)

post-1607-126033136767_thumb.jpg

Fantastic! That's looking very good!

By the way, don't worry about the poly count in that scene, as Doom 3 can push over 100,000 poly scenes. As long as you light up that statue with a non-moving light (no flickering effect), your FPS hit should be negligable (compared to calculating those shadows real-time with a flickering light).

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Mortem Desino: aha, so flickering is the big performance consumer! I have an area in my map that's incredibly laggy despite no overlapping lights (which I suspected), but a lot of flicker. Good to know that; I guess I can change most of them to static. -_-

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Thanks guys-

Been working on it a month now, lots of bug fighting going on, and I suspect lower end systems may choke in spots. Might have to set a lot of doors to auto-close after a short amount of time. Is there a way to set it up on distance so when the player gets say 200 doom units away it closes? If its timed, you may have it closing on the player if they linger too long. I'm sure it can be done with some hacks - might be a nice feature if it isn't already in the code - Haven't dug into those features yet.

Mortem Desino: aha, so flickering is the big performance consumer! I have an area in my map that's incredibly laggy despite no overlapping lights (which I suspected), but a lot of flicker. Good to know that; I guess I can change most of them to static. -_-

I was told this when I did Thief's Den but changing to static lights didn't make a huge difference outdoors (in fact I couldn't detect any difference.) I don't think it's as big a performance hog compared to too many lights, especially overlapping and AI themselves, and of course, scene size and complexity.

It depends on what 'type' of flickering light you're using. We have two. There are the default doom 3 moving lights that don't really move at all, they just use an animated texture to fake the movement. Then our own custom moving lights use and oscillation script to physically jiggle the light around, those are the performance killers.

Lucia's a placeholder here, 6700+ polys will be a bit too rich for this area

It's only shadow-casting polys that matter for performance, and that statue has a pretty simple shadowmesh (more like 1000 polys, IIRC). In a pinch you could always turn shadows off entirely for that model.

Then our own custom moving lights use and oscillation script to physically jiggle the light around, those are the performance killers.

Yes, we should probably use a different term other than 'flickering'. A flickering light that doesn't move only has to calculate shadows once (I would imagine). An oscilating light would have to update them each time it moved.

Love the arches btw! I've got to learn how to do those myself. One suggestion I'd make overall is to think about support beams...I saw a few pieces of architecture that looks like they didn't really have anything holding them up.