The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

It depends on what 'type' of flickering light you're using. We have two. There are the default doom 3 moving lights that don't really move at all, they just use an animated texture to fake the movement. Then our own custom moving lights use and oscillation script to physically jiggle the light around, those are the performance killers.

Which category would tdm_lantern and biground_candleflicker fall into? I used those a lot.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Lucia's a placeholder here, 6700+ polys will be a bit too rich for this areapost-1607-126033098496_thumb.jpg

Just a little hint: If you raise the gamma of your screenshots instead of the brightness in your prefered picture editing program (e.g. Irfan view), you'll get much better results. The image woun't bleach out as much, like it's the case on that screenshot. From what I've observed so far, screenshots in doom 3 are stored without the gamma-correction, but brightness seems to be ok... Edited by STiFU

Which category would tdm_lantern and biground_candleflicker fall into? I used those a lot.

Those are different light textures, which don't affect performance.

If the light's classname ends with _moving or if it uses a spawnarg named "scriptobject" "rand_osc_light", then those are "jiggling" lights that can kill performance. If the shadows aren't dancing around, then it's a static light, and should be more gpu-friendly.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

I'm working on a mansion mission, with a bit of outside areas as well. The complete story will be told through several missions. The campaign is called 'The Sons of Baltona'. I think I still need a few weeks to complete the first part. Must say that I'm asthonished by the possibilities of TDM. Everything I want in my mission can be done in a certain way. Will release some pics when I'm satisfied to do so, sorry :).

Building: 99% done (the unfinished 1% is for new ideas I get on the way)

Sound: 100%

Visportals: 100%

Texturing: 100%

Lights: 100% (incl. switches)

Doors: 99% (Still need to attach some keys)

Story: 90% (It's done on paper, now I'll just have to put it into readables)

Object placing: 10% (working on that at the moment)

Objectives: 10% (Objectives are on paper, but not in the mission yet)

Loot and keys: 0%

AI: 0%

Who would like to beta test my mission when it's done? Cheers

I am working on a mission where u have to kill Han Burger and the sand witch laugh.gif and many others, few loot, lots of killing.

I started off on a mansion with a street but now it becomes a whole city block with a nature grass land outside, stealt ala tenshu/thief. i am like on 5 percent now but i am working only for a few days so maybe i will be finished in a week hopefully, i tend to keep it small, so it can be released when santa comeslaugh.gif

Taf you, you taffin taffer

I'm working on a mansion mission, with a bit of outside areas as well. [...] Who would like to beta test my mission when it's done? Cheers

Me! Me! Me!  ^_^

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

A bit hard to see what was going on, but it definitely looked interesting. :)

Awesome! I didn't expect a playable street-level area! And shattering glass: Cool. Do you know Ishtvan made a new moss arrow feature? You can shoot a window with moss, and it will muffle the sound of breaking glass. :)

That ladder at 1:50 can be surrounded with a "textures/common/ladder" brush. Half-life 2 only allowed perfectly vertical :( ladders, but TDM's expanded climbing lets you use ladders at just about any angle, even upside-down.

yay seuss crease touss dome in ouss nose tair

Wow, ceiling-walking and all? :huh: I am absolutely positive a certain Mr. Constantine would love to hear that. -_-

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Gorgeous, especially the way it is lit up!

I know this question is rather random and I don't really know where to put it but I figured this is the best place - I was particularly impressed with the immediate city area surrounding the player when they are first dropped into the mission Chalice Of Kings seen here:

chalice1.jpg

And I was wondering - was this something the author did by hand and then added to the skybox or whatever its called (I have no idea what the missions non physical surrounding area is called) or is this something that was available in the default assets for The Dark Mod? It looked beautiful, and is probably the most memorable thing about the mission and I was hoping we'd see much more of either that city mockup or similar things in missions - so much better to look at than just a random wall or a blurry skyline. I really dig it.