The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Hey, just a little message to say that I'm taking a break from TDM. I still haven't got myself a new PC and I don't have much money. I was making a map for the Christmas contest, but found it too tough fighting with the laptop I'm using.

Some of the missions play well, but on the whole it's unsatisfying on this hardware.

I will be back soon.   :)

(I miss Dark Radiant)

I sympathize. Hope to see you back soon to finish that FM ! :)

Cool! I like the gaps in the floorboards and the realistic roof supports.

Thanks!

How much of a performance impact these little ambient lights will mean? lets say they are kept from intersecting with each and the level gets visportaled well.. as far as that i dont see them hardware heavy and i have like 10-15 of those gap-lights.

(Just noticed at least one of those gaplights was misplaced.)

And a shot for the end.( another building's exterior )

post-73-126868297199_thumb.jpg

Edited by _Atti_

If you mean where those lit windows are peeping through the shutters you can do those without any lights. Look in the windows textures for 'self_lit'. These glow in the dark without the aid of a light. If there is a particular window texture you want that is not self lit then let me know and I'll tell you how to modify the def (you probably can do it by looking at one of the others.)

If you mean where those lit windows are peeping through the shutters

No, I ment the lights coming through the floorboards, you can see them on the previous pictures, you might have missed those because of the pageturn of topic:)

The windows are already done by the selflit texture, but thanks i didnt realize they are selflit until now, thought they are just brightly textured:D

Same thing really. There is brightness added to the material definition so effectively yes, the texture is brighter.

I can't find the floorboards picture but if it is just light shining up for effect and not actually casting light above then the same applies; a bright texture might be made - depends if you can look down to see a room below I guess.

That's really nice Atti, just one minor commentary - the torch outside is too white and bright. Try moving the light radius away from the wall, but move the light center back to the torch, that should give it a much more pleasant appearance.

Jdude: this is the same scene we have seen from above on a previous screenshot, right? I recognise those two pipes at the top. :laugh:

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

2nd and 3rd pics on the ceiling, ( i just called them 'floorboards' after Spring)

Ah I see now - think before I was looking for light coming up from below.

Probably not worth worrying about because there is not a lot of details there so performance should be OK but in theory a custom self lit wood texture might be put up there and sacrifice the little light that is cast down. Another way might be to create a shallow room above all the floorboards and try one light. This all assumes that the player cannot get up there right? (which raises the issue of the player trying to get up there because he can see lights so might think he is supposed to find a way - but not critical.)

Fidcal:

This all assumes that the player cannot get up there right?

No, the player can go up. Its the roof level up there.I will probably change the rays to a more moonlightish colour cause its like it was daylight out there.

I also thought if there was an another level above with electric lights for example the switch could be linked with these floor gap lights as well as the bulbs, so players could see from a level below when the lights are out upstairs.( switched on/off by guards etc.)

Dram:

That's really nice Atti, just one minor commentary - the torch outside is too white and bright. Try moving the light radius away from the wall, but move the light center back to the torch, that should give it a much more pleasant appearance.

Thanks, well those are just temporary lights so i get the idea of how it will look lighted, i think i will remove all of them when i start putting in guard routes and objectives.

Edited by _Atti_

new ss, much work has been done and redone. now with new pillars, trim, and super awesome projected floodlightness.

th_new_ss.jpg

the next update will be the finished product to include, but not limited to: circular white/grey gravel drive with a grassy area and fountain in the middle, more trim especially on the 2nd story front wall, roofing with the all-new greenish aged copper/bronze metal texture (props to serpentine), bushes, flowers, and ivy overgrowth along the walls / pillars / fencing.

• 2 weeks later...
Besides - There are 11,734 Views? Don't you like to make this thread a sticky topic?

This is a great paradox of messageboards, but sticky topics always tend to get a lot less attention than regular ones.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Did you do the sketch? It shows not just artistic ability but also a skill with perspective (very good for building levels). Wish I could do concept art on that level.

BTW, I think the spaces would need to be slightly larger in an actual mission design -- more room to sneak around in. (See these essays for the whys.)

Edited by Melan