The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Yes you should be. Bravo.

Thanks Melan ^_^

edit: I almost recommend deleting that screenshot pronto, to preserve the spoiler!

edit2: Is that a model, or patchwork?? If the latter...

Wait to you see in-game, I got goosebumps when i saw for the 1st time. And its a 100% patch based prefab.

makes me want to move the mouse around to see more of the

ROTFL... I am constantly doing that.. :laugh:

Too late to apply for your beta Biker?

Its not ready for beta just yet, but I will keep you in mind.

Wow, that is freakin' awesome!

thanks Springs ^_^

That's awesome Biker,

Seeing the shadows on the wall gave me an idea.

You should maybe put some symbols, maybe a gold trim around the walls. But have symbols around that indicate important planetary alignments. Maybe it could even be tied into the FM 'when the planets align...'

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

So, I finished the first self-contained area of my map, and I'm happy with what I've got - looks significantly better than Return to the City. The question is once again performance. This time, I built much more carefully with visportals in mind, but those freaking things cross my most careful plans. Some don't show up at all (WTF? they are all in solid and don't seem to cross into other areas). Some stay open over large distances - they work in some rare cases, but they usually open even though they are a freaking mile away separated by multiple other visportals. Again, WTF? And finally, with r_shoportals on, some portals are shown as freaking red even as I look right at them?!

This sucks royally. :angry:

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Some don't show up at all

That very likely means you've got an internal leak out of that vis area. I added Fidcal's troubleshooting method to the wiki: http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Visportals#Trouble-shooting

That might solve the other issues, as well, though I'm not sure.

I'll take a look if you want Melan.

--------

I can't get a screenshot for the life of me, have made sure the screenshot folder is in place in doom and darkmod folders and my doom.config says f12...

Other wise I might share a pic...

I'll take a look if you want Melan.

--------

I can't get a screenshot for the life of me, have made sure the screenshot folder is in place in doom and darkmod folders and my doom.config says f12...

Other wise I might share a pic...

I noticed an annoying trend, Darkmod and Doom3 will put the sreenshot in the folder of last FM or it might be in doom3/base. When you take a screenshot, open the console. It will have an entry saying

"screenshot taken screenshot0001.tga" or something like that; write it down.

When you are done taking screenshots, do a windows search in the Doom 3 folder for the name of those screenshots. Works for me.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Melan: as well as a leak as Springheel say, it could also be 'circular confusion' for want of a better phrase. I've just had both types in my FM. One was a leak but the one in my city section was a circular route around various visportals. I can't explain it except that the doom portalling system gets confused I guess sometimes where there are alternate routes around to the same place.

I was looking right through red visportals too. Also I could see all the visportals green in the far section of my FM which are only reached through about 6 visportals in a winding tunnel. There was no leak. I think the debug system system just broke down. After all, if you can see through a visportal it must be open so it should be green not red.

Eventually I found by converting various visportals to stone that I still got the error. The only remaining path was an alternate route through a sewer (which was already correctly visportalled) and solved it by adding a visportalled S loop in the sewer.

So try to trace a leak first but otherwise you might need some ingenious experimenting to make the visportal paths simpler for the portalizing code.

I noticed an annoying trend, Darkmod and Doom3 will put the sreenshot in the folder of last FM or it might be in doom3/base. When you take a screenshot, open the console. It will have an entry saying

"screenshot taken screenshot0001.tga" or something like that; write it down.

When you are done taking screenshots, do a windows search in the Doom 3 folder for the name of those screenshots. Works for me.

Ah thanks, havent looked in mission folders, of course I'm working on a map now so no folder...

Springheel, Baddcog, Fidcal: thanks. Baddcog, I will send you a PM with the mission file; would be delighted if you could take a look at it. In some cases, I am almost thinking the debugger broke down as Fidcal wrote - trouble is, r_showtris shows those areas being rendered... I eliminated some of the non-working WP problems, though.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I've done some pretty intense and complex visportaling and I've always seen it behave correctly without actual bugs. Maybe you're getting bugs, but at least in my experience I think it's more likely you have a genuine setup mistake or problem

shadowdark50.gif keep50.gif

...as Fidcal wrote - trouble is, r_showtris shows those areas being rendered... I eliminated some of the non-working WP problems, though.

Yes, it's a real problem not just the debugger showing it wrong. In my case some of leafs were showing tris but the furthest ones weren't yet I think every visportal in the FM was showing green! Yet they must have been closed while nearer ones showed red yet they were clearly open.

This is why I think it may be this circular problem. The portal code struggles with it and finds it too difficult to do correctly. The debug code must be based on that and reports it wrongly as well. I'll try and post a rough map of my layout if it helps to throw any light on the problem.

Here was my street visportal problem for comparison. This is probably not a spoiler as there is very likely going to be a map anyway.

The blue arrow bottom left is the player facing north originally getting about 8fps.

The large green bars [edit = visportals] are almost all at street level and they were all green even though many were way out of sight beyond other visportals around bends etc.

The magenta arrow top left points to the large mansion/moors area accessible only via a long winding visportalled alley. All visportals there were green too! But did not show tris.

The yellow line shows the new route through the sewer which initially caused the circular error. It already had two angled visportalled bends in it plus a small horizontal in the manhole door which was closed! (and yes I did leak tests.) You can see I added an S bend with an extra visportal and now get 30 to 40 fps from bottom right.

post-400-127952381763_thumb.jpg

My layout is not really circular, but Baddcog has been able to look at the map, do some corrections and provide suggestions which should make for an improvement in the current area and give me directions for further building. :)