The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Some shots from my vertical map.

High up in an abandoned clock tower during a thunderstorm.

#1 w/o lightning.

#2 w/lightning.

And, before you ask, the mechanism doesn't work. The machines that drive this (and the clock hands) have been recycled elsewhere, and I don't have enough contest time to create true bevel gears.

post-3633-12797302973_thumb.jpg

post-3633-127973031484_thumb.jpg

Someone get this man an extension!

Heh, I was like bloody hell

.:wacko:

that almost bests my gear power substation from my xmas map...but for it not working.

GM, if you like Id be happy to spend the time turning them into a working prefab etc - like I did with my Orrery.

Edited by Bikerdude

GM, if you like Id be happy to spend the time turning them into a working prefab etc - like I did with my Orrery.

Really? Cool.

I won't use it in this map, since the tower is abandoned, with parts moved elsewhere for a new tower. So I don't want anything working.

But if you want to start with this and come up with a true working clocktower mechanism that anyone can use, that would be great.

Do you want to pull it from the map after the contest is over, or do you want something earlier?

stumpy: simple but effective.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Stumpy: yeah I love the cramped, abandoned, desolate place with intriguing routes more than the grand, beautiful rooms in many ways. I'm just working on a neglected sewer maintenance room and it's more fun to build and play I reckon.

The images here from the various vertical maps look really good.

WhenDoWeGetToPlay!?smile.gif

couple weeks. I'm actually suffering from short attention span again. Taking a break from my contest mission, don't think it'll take too long to finish up and get playable anyway.

Been looking at the city ref pics and really want to finally make a city streets map, I think it's gonna be alot easier than with T2.

Haven't gotten far yet.

post-1981-127998739369_thumb.jpg

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

Gave that building a nieghbor. I think I'm gonna use alot of refs from that link Melan posted (Thanks Melan ! biggrin.gif )

Always been really hard for my to build good medieval type buildings, US has almost nothing worthy to look at, and if there is it's in big cities which I never really get to.

post-1981-127999791133_thumb.jpg

pretty, but 2 clean - which Im guessing you know already..

Yeah, right now I'm gonna try to build a street with some facades. Laters I'll add some spots in some buildings to enter. Then worry about details later.

Looks good Badcogg but one thing troubles me. I've just been adding windows around one of my buildings and realize how few we have that are self-lit and have a truly dark equivalent. Apart from specials, rounded, etc, as far as rectangular panes we a diamond pane self lit and dark equivalent and one dirty pane one, maybe two. Most if not all of the others either are not truly self-lit or they don't have a true dark equivalent. Many are brightly moonlit. For me, those bright moonlit ones should only be used indoors when there is moonlight shining in. When used outside it looks like they are moonlit from within. So that immediately caught my eye in your first picture. I think unlit windows are generally very dark when viewed from outside.

Yeah, actually those bothered me too, unfortunately when I made those I just used a glass shader (there's possibly a better shader to use), and it seems alot of textures that have white in them or even just refracted glass show really bright.

(It's just supposed to be clear glass, not moonlit)

Spider webs is another thing along this line.

Those windows deffinately need skins, I've even been thinking I need to make a 'half' model that is either for inside or out but not both. They actually have boards that cross the window (panes?) so we just need some plain opaque glass textures that could be slapped on them.

We do have such textures but the proportion of self_lit and unlit and moonlit is plus many are 'badly' named in the sense of consistency. Probably nothing wrong with the names when made but now it is not easy to tell what is what. For instance the brightly moonlit are called 'unlit' I think. The diamond one called 'self_lit' I made - or rather, I converted an existing one to be self-lit after seeing FMs with lots of unnecessary lights placed to illuminate windows.

Care must be taken not to change anything. Mappers have already used these. A few new conversions is probably all we need. No new images just defs. Check out all windows textures. A new virtual folder created to separate them called say, 'ordered' or something better. All the ones that are already correctly self_lit can be copied to it and re-suffixed self_lit. All the ones that are moonlit likewise suffixed moon_lit. All the ones that are dark suffixed unlit. Then any missing equivalents made. For example 'lit' windows which are 'lit' textures but need a light to make them shine in game need a new def to make them self_lit.

The glass I put on those was 'milky warp', so that explains the white brightness.

Probably should have chose a more run of the mill glass. I think I just figured there's be skins-a-plenty. (and there are for the wood, but not glass yet)

I've been mainly using models as far as window tex goes so far and all the skins seem to be named correctly.

Looking through the tex now I think they are fine. There are a few called 'unlit' but most are called 'dark' 'lit' 'brightly lit' barely lit'. So they seem pretty easy to tell IMO.

I think it's like the light entities, once people learn what's up it shouldn't be too hard.