The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

This area is pretty close to done. Tweaks here and there but looks better than before smile.gif

Through the tunnel is another area that's getting fairly close too.

Bit to go on the city section then I'm going to merge it with the mansion I made but never finished for the Thanksgiving contest.

post-1981-128028291576_thumb.jpgpost-1981-128028291972_thumb.jpg

added a gable and window model to svn prefabs (and found some cool gables I'm gonna use :)

post-1981-128033187096_thumb.jpg

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I have started working on a new, small mission since it looks like my main one is growing into a larger project than anticipated, and I wanted something that could be brought to finish in a few weeks or maybe a month max. So far, I have made a few new textures; nontileables, a few mission-specific ones, and four that I may submit to the mod later. I also raided my current FM for architectural bits that can be reused. I want this to be a low-maintenance, easy build.

The tentative title is 'Cask'. No images yet, but they will come in time.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

I've started mapping again after a solid break, I'm building a vertical mission (not for the contest, but rather to get my head around having large open air missions that don't choke and die due to non existant visportalling), to reuse the story I made for my old FM. Going to try experimenting with a few things, and hopefully they work at least semi-decently.

Intel Sandy Bridge i7 2600K @ 3.4ghz stock clocks
8gb Kingston 1600mhz CL8 XMP RAM stock frequency
Sapphire Radeon HD7870 2GB FLeX GHz Edition @ stock @ 1920x1080

Well, it starts off vertical, the storyline doesn't really allow the mission to be purely vertical.... but I may add 2-3 large vertical areas to keep things interesting.

I've started mapping again after a solid break, I'm building a vertical mission (not for the contest, but rather to get my head around having large open air missions that don't choke and die due to non existant visportalling), to reuse the story I made for my old FM. Going to try experimenting with a few things, and hopefully they work at least semi-decently.

You should still try to work visportals in, they just may need to be horizontal.

portals that close are best but even ones that don't close cull tris from rendering which can still help performance alot. I'm afraid that if you forgo them just because of hieght or large areas there won't be anything you can do to not have your map choke.

(plus they also help sound travel correctly.)

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

You should still try to work visportals in, they just may need to be horizontal.

portals that close are best but even ones that don't close cull tris from rendering which can still help performance alot. I'm afraid that if you forgo them just because of hieght or large areas there won't be anything you can do to not have your map choke.

(plus they also help sound travel correctly.)

Yep, I'm putting visportals in this time... didn't know what they were last time... was not pretty.

Yeah that looks like some really nice stuff, Siyah. I may be over-reaching, but think you've got a style that'll be a great addition to the FMers!

I'm tempted to DEMAND! ( ;) ) a non-muddied screenshot... but I understand the idea and need to just wait for the mission...

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696

As an alternative to the usual screen-shots...

IMG_0034.JPG?psid=1

Me working away on my contest mission, the monitore on the right I got cheap as it has a dead pixel and Ive got T2 running on the laptop for inspiration...

I didnt notice the stains on the wall untill I took a picture, too much working in a darkened room. :laugh:

Those stain decals add so much character though

HEHE, your such a DR geek

So many similarities with my desk, down to the nail scissors!

its for the boring times when Dr is compiling etc..

You use the same mousepad? Ha ha, have to be ambidextrous!

Im really not.. but the steel series mouse and pad are very good for the money £25 all in..

This is a tudor arch I've been working on. I think I wasted about four sessions of around an hour each building and rebuilding then giving up in disgust. It's imperfect but because it was so tricky both to make and to texture I think it's worth uploading and sharing.

One problem was fitting it to a short arched corridor (or very deep doorway if you will (though no door is intended) so it has a back as well as a front. I had to split parts so the texture would line up. That meant I ended up with not enough depth for the wal so that wall section on top is only 1.5 deep. Then I got so far into lining up some of the patches that I was kind of stuck with the placeholder texture. I had spent so much time I couldn't bear to retexture it and find it probably wants lining up again. This texture is actually impossible to line up perfectly on the upright posts. You always get thin stones at some edges because they are staggered on every course so no matter how much you scroll it along or change the width it cannot be ideal. Best I could do was make the thin slices as thick as possible.

I don't think it is technically a 'pure' tudor arch but it is close. I used straights on the top part whereas the real tudor arch has a very shallow curve on those.

post-400-12807225161_thumb.jpg