The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Looks better with a cream stone but I'm looking now at carved red wood to match the stairs. These are various configurations of the carving for a quick look and to get an overall impression. Either way it's gonna take a complete re-alignment. The wood will be easier though and I think that's what I'm going for. Might do an arched door too.

post-400-128074563255_thumb.jpg post-400-128074567953_thumb.jpg post-400-12807457092_thumb.jpg

Yeah, maybe just transition through the hall with wood trim (no red), then that stone hall could be wood trim...

Sometimes it's hard to transition from the nice areas to the 'back of the house' where the servants are. I like to leave those areas rough, save some cash for decorating.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

This texture is actually impossible to line up perfectly on the upright posts. You always get thin stones at some edges because they are staggered on every course so no matter how much you scroll it along or change the width it cannot be ideal.

Yeha, that seems to be an issue with ALL of our bricks. We need some nice ones that are just stacked with lines going up vertically but NO lines horizontal. We have one or two but they aren't very good.

They dont even need to be very die. Maybe 128w x 512h

That's not just good stuff, that's a lot of good stuff. Wish I were that productive nowadays! :o

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

heh, thanks guys.

@nbohr - in my case its just stuborn persistence more than anything else..

@Sneaksie - its not that good, but I reckon I wont do any worse than I did in the xmas contest. ;-)

@Bc - if you only knew how many man hours I have put into DR since the xmas compo, this map alone has consumed I'm guessing atleast 150hrs+ over a 6week period.

@Melan - Your too kind, in my case its quantity rather than quality me thinks. One of the few benefits of being out of work, loads of spare time.

-_-

Edited by Bikerdude

Fids, 1 trick i found for getting textures to copy and paste correctly onto a patch is to put a brush at 90 degrees next to it and the then copy and paste the texture of one of the faces of the brush etc. if you want, drop me a pm with a link and I`ll have a stap at it.

Edited by Bikerdude

Biker, plz check the screen in the kitchen. I think the crate is half inside the wall. Otherwise, great work!

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

Fids, 1 trick i found for getting textures to copy and paste correctly onto a patch is to put a brush at 90 degrees next to it and the then copy and paste the texture of one of the faces of the brush etc. if you want, drop me a pm with a link and I`ll have a stap at it.

There's more to it than that. Anyway, I've now got the basic part done - just have to copy it around the back hopefully. Thanks anyway.

You can actually do alot with this method. I was thinking about putting some patch aligment tips on the wiki.

Like if you make an arch, copy/past shader from wall below it onto the patch, the top will be 'smeared' because it's 90* to the wall. (That makes the middle of the arch verts in line with the corner verts and they can't be grabbed seperately in the tex editor).

So if you put a brush by it, make a 45* angle on the bottom (so it's halfway between vert wall and horizontal top), copy/past the wall shader to it , then copy/paste it from 45* to patch.

It's still not aligned, but not stretched, so then when you pull up the texture editor you can see all the verts and tweak them.

So if you put a brush by it, make a 45* angle on the bottom (so it's halfway between vert wall and horizontal top), copy/past the wall shader to it , then copy/paste it from 45* to patch.

mmm... not heard of that one. I have a brush with 4 sides that have to align with 4 sides of a thickened bevel. So it's an inside out bevel, an outside in bevel, and two side curves and all have to align with an angled brush. Then double it (can't just clone it, have to mirror it exactly but then it all went wrong because the scale is reversed. Copy the scales over. Reverse them. Still not right. After 10 minutes tortuously rescaling I find I mirrored it the wrong way. Or maybe it wanted a rotation AND a mirror. Or maybe not. My heads spinning. I've redone one quarter of the top arch. In theory one more quarter then I can clone it and rotate it. I say re-done because I've made different changes over the days and totally redone it more than once.

That's enough for tonight. God help anyone who wants to retexture this prefab. Unless they just want concrete. ;)

You can actually do alot with this method. I was thinking about putting some patch aligment tips on the wiki.

Like if you make an arch, copy/past shader from wall below it onto the patch, the top will be 'smeared' because it's 90* to the wall. (That makes the middle of the arch verts in line with the corner verts and they can't be grabbed seperately in the tex editor).

It's still not aligned, but not stretched, so then when you pull up the texture editor you can see all the verts and tweak them.

I've been doing this for years, I can't be bothered wasting so much time on the texture tool. It's how I got the cathedral ceiling texture to look decent.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

mmm... not heard of that one. I have a brush with 4 sides that have to align with 4 sides of a thickened bevel. So it's an inside out bevel, an outside in bevel, and two side curves and all have to align with an angled brush. Then double it (can't just clone it, have to mirror it exactly but then it all went wrong because the scale is reversed. Copy the scales over. Reverse them. Still not right. After 10 minutes tortuously rescaling I find I mirrored it the wrong way. Or maybe it wanted a rotation AND a mirror. Or maybe not. My heads spinning. I've redone one quarter of the top arch. In theory one more quarter then I can clone it and rotate it. I say re-done because I've made different changes over the days and totally redone it more than once.

That's enough for tonight. God help anyone who wants to retexture this prefab. Unless they just want concrete. wink.gif

I always grab my aligning faces in the tex editor, and drag them up/down/left right. Then you can see if the tex on one is sliding the wrong way.

hmm, I find the tex ediotr quite handy for patches. But I've also been using a similar thing in Max for years. This one is actually quite primitive in comparison, but nice to have in an editor.

Brushes on the other hand... good for aligning to patch edge. But since the brush verts can't be moved out of square, it limits it quite a bit.