The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

I'm currently working on a tablecloth. I think this is about as good as I can get the edges. Only done this one corner. I need to extend the long length which means adding columns not just dragging. I think I can clone and rotate this but I'll still have to do the other two corners manually.

Btw, super-realistic tablecloth - but floating cutlery :D

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Yeah, I only noticed later some cutlery is floating - a victim of DR's rotation I think because this is the preset table prefab.

Yes, I'll do a prefab of this table cloth. The advantage of this patchwork over a model is you can retexture it and to some extent resize it.

This is still wip. It looks simple and in some sense it is - but I'm hopeless with patches so it took me a long time to get it to this stage. And this is just the medium table.

Another problem. There is a pale diagonal artifact only really shows in a darker texture or the white if I go down to 0.125 scale. Even as func_static it still shows. And that top is a simple flat patch. If I move the side pieces away then it disappears.

The white cloth texture is not that good close up. We really need some new fabrics.

post-400-128297030622_thumb.jpg

Sorry, got to shelve this tablecloth. As a one-sided patch as expected I got the same venetian blind shadow. A two-sided material does not fix this. The way I fixed it with my curtains is to clone the curtain 0.125 units to one side and invert the matrix. That works fine for the curtains but for some reason I get a black piano keys shadows all along the tablecloth side. I can only fix that by moving the inner clone about 2 units away. Then I got partial venetian blind effect shadows. Tried various thing but no luck. Finally I exported it as a model. This does not have the piano key artifacts. Instead the entire top and edges are near black (normal error?) I've decided to leave it for now while I press on with my map.

post-400-128300144005_thumb.jpg

Yeah, I only noticed later some cutlery is floating - a victim of DR's rotation I think because this is the preset table prefab.

No, that is my fault, I noticed the things floating in the prefabs evnen before release, but I only corrected one and wanted "to the the others tomorrow". Oh well.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Finally I exported it as a model. This does not have the piano key artifacts. Instead the entire top and edges are near black (normal error?)

Hmn, my first guess on stuff like this is always "faulty smoothing groups"... If something ends up being black, it should be related to surface normals. (Seems almost like this would be the only thing I know about mapping/modeling) :) There is an option for smoothing patches in DR, right? I don't know how you setup the tablecloth, but the top should be in another smoothing group, so it should be split up from the rest.

The main error I see is a common one - your arch cuts right through stonework leaving slithers of stone in places and nothing to support the arch. Normally you need structure for an arch (search pictures on google.) However a quick fix here is select the curved patch. Ctrl + I to invert the matrix. Then thicken it to say 2 units on the patch menu. While still selected give it say rusty metal. If instead you want to use stone then instead thicken it to say 4 but you'll have more difficulty aligning it than just rusty metal.

When done you should find you have two tiny patches underneath just at floor level. They are not visible so can be deleted. If you find any money down there - it's mine. I dropped it the other day. :D

The slivers could do with being hidden through texture alignment of re-sizing, but those arches look pretty similar to some examples of corbelled arches, see the example illustration at Wikipedia. These were primitive types of arches which can be found in neolithic tombs (where the arch is a full 360 degree dome), so might not feel completely out of place in a medieval themed universe. You're right though, arches like these don't support themselves properly like the more familiar arch design, which might explain why there are so few good examples around (as far as Google images is concerned anyway). laugh.gif

best examples of corbel arches are in the pyramids.

Would love to see the Pyramids someday. I visited Newgrange a couple years ago which was very impressive. It would be something to return during Winter solstice when the tomb is lit up by a narrow beam of light, not much chance though given the demand to see this.

Note that the corbel arch would be made independently not just Terminator sliced like butter through an existing stone wall. So there would be an actual arch structure. It would most likely be made this way: A wooden curved scaffold (re-usable) would be put in place. Stones would be laid and mortared either side to form side columns and eventually placed over one another at the top around the curve and supporting one another. The wall would then be completed either side to butt up to it. Once the mortar was set the scaffold would be removed and re-used.

In Dark Mod this would be a good place to use brushes rather than patches and place the blocks to form the arch structure then butt the side walls up to it. Probably use bigger stone blocks for the arch would look good. :)

I don't think they'd use a wooden scaffold.

To me it looks like they are built into the wall not as a seperate structure. Most of those pics don't have a curved surface, it's just large blocks that stick out a little further each step up.

Not like a traditional arch that needs to be built around a support until it is loaded with weight so it won't collapse during the process.

I bet the rounded ones were just carved into shape after being built because they look pretty smooth (maybe to smooth to be cut first then aligned.)

It's deffinately easier to make an arch this way, and I think it works fine for a simple mission/doorway/window. I know there are arches in my city map that I'm not putting more detail into than that.

The hard part is getting the texture to look good as it's almost impossible to align the bricks in the arch with those in he straight wall. (and not get any weird stretching, especially across the top)

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

My bad, they used logs. Quick search and I couldn't find ANY close-ups.

That would actually make for some really good textures if we could get nice straight on shots.

I'm probably vacationing down there again this year, but don't think I want to pay $50 to do the tour.

Dark is the sway that mows like a harvest

I didn't pay a thing, or so I remember... but I was mighty drunk that whole couple of weeks. So...

Did I pay?? I think I paid ~$12 to get in the park, and then jumped in and joined a group tour by getting in line... it wasn't more than 10 years ago. Was it? Did I pay $50!? I wouldn't have.

I'll look through my RAW photos, but I think that's the only one of that kind. Entirely coincindental that I even had them on my HD as I'd just recently gathered them back from the DVD archive for some nostalgic reason.

"A Rhapsody Of Feigned And Ill-Invented Nonsense" - Thomas Aikenhead, On Theology, ca. 1696