The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

A startpack artifact I forgot to delete before release (just like an early level segment that was reintegrated into the new build).

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

Melan had part of the original startmap left over in v1 of rttc, and that was one of the first things I nuked. But that wasnt sucking the fps away as much as the lack of VPs was.

The FPS in the start position is roughly 2.5x was it was before we started work on it. All the extra outside area's and few more Ai that have been added have meant that the average fps is lower than i would have licked but never drops below 30fps anywhere on the map.

However further tweaking may have to be done when the mission goes into the beta testing etc.

Here are a couple of my own before (without grime) and after. I certainly think the 'grime' shader works well as either dirt, shadow, simulated ambient occlusion, patina, whatever.

post-400-129061003665_thumb.jpg post-400-129061005899_thumb.jpg

This is late, but I think the wooden pillars/supports by the bed suffer from the grime shader really. It would, to me, make more sense if it was only to be used when there is something around it to accumulate dirt/cast shadows/etc..

After all, it seems to mostly provide a form of mappers-choice Ambient Occlusion.

Edited by Tudor

Yes, I think because their texture already has a dark edge so it's amplified.

This is a test of just a few edges on that one pillar with reduced grime. Problem is that it took me many minutes just to do that. There are three more edges on that one pillar. Yesterday I grimed up an entire back stairway. I couldn't face changing all those.

post-400-129119146438_thumb.jpg post-400-129119147503_thumb.jpg

that crap I build today :)

cibt.jpg

Very nice. One minor point: use the round smudge above the hanging light; the one you used is for walls at the back of torches. I'm also unsure about the stonework above wood. I don't think anyone would lay bricks on top of a wooden wall. Stonework is relatively long-lasting, solid, strong, and rot-proof; wood is by comparison, weak and flexible.

This is a test of just a few edges on that one pillar with reduced grime. Problem is that it took me many minutes just to do that.

So, what's your workflow for placing the one concave-only grime? Maybe we could think of something to optimize it, to make it less tiresome.

Thanks. I'll probably just adjust those few because of the texture.

These are the backstairs I mentioned. The first few steps I experimented with reducing the convex edge grime but looking up it seems there are hundreds and just can't face changing them all. The dominance of this grey wood and the grime makes this area seem almost black and white surreal cartoony effect. I like it anyway. I might play with the light more and add more normal messy grime to the walls etc.

post-400-129120190934_thumb.jpg post-400-1291201941_thumb.jpg post-400-129120195281_thumb.jpg post-400-129120196774_thumb.jpg

It looks pretty nice in thee stairs, all these planks have only four corners so it doesn't end up looking black everywehere, and besides, they often interesct with eachother so that it makes sense, or they are large enough to look okay anyway because the grime gets marginalised with size.

Edited by Tudor

Imagine this in DR:

1. Select a grime texture.

2. Select how far you want it from a surface (0->whatever)

3. Select the surfaces you want it on.

4. Hit "OK".

And--voila!--DR creates the grime decals custom-fit to your surfaces, properly butting at convex edges, etc.

I don't want to be too harsh, but this is an awfully underwhelming scene for someone who has been extremely critical of other mapper's efforts. You need to think about placing support structures--window frames, buttresses, etc. What is holding up that extremely large beam? Also, your grime decals are off. The one above the hanging light should be a circle, and much smaller. The one behind the torch is looking like an inappropriately placed shadow.

I don't want to be too harsh, but this is an awfully underwhelming scene for someone who has been extremely critical of other mapper's efforts. You need to think about placing support structures--window frames, buttresses, etc. What is holding up that extremely large beam? Also, your grime decals are off. The one above the hanging light should be a circle, and much smaller. The one behind the torch is looking like an inappropriately placed shadow.

Heh.. After seeing what grades this guy has been giving for some recent FM:s without any rationale/justification, I find it amusing when he present such a crappy scene.-_-

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Everyone starts small and I for one am happy for every mapper working around here, regardless of what he did or said before he started loving DR. Don't get discouraged Shadowhide.

The concerns the others posted are actually valid though. :rolleyes:

I have this strange impression that Shadowhide just wants us to be ruffians like the TTLG Comm Chat folk or like those crazies over at Quake3world where it's all confrontation all the time.

Most of us are too polite to lend that flavor to this place.

(It sure would be an interesting interview though: "Shadowhide, The TDM mission author who doesn't like TDM") :huh: ...

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Stellar work on the texture alignment on those stairs Fidcal, I like it.

@Shadowhide: There's a definite improvement in your second screenshot. Springheel has some valid criticisms though, the decal under the beam is incorrect, but more importantly that beam doesn't look like it belongs there at all (not only due to physics dry.gif). If you've included it purely so you could have that extra light, consider removing the hanging light and instead use light from the window on the left to fill in some of the dark spaces.

Also, that window on the left isn't placed correctly if you notice the stonework above and below the window. Think about how this would look in real life, in most cases the stone blocks wouldn't be cut up by the window like that but would align with the window dimensions.

Thanks. I'll probably just adjust those few because of the texture.

These are the backstairs I mentioned. The first few steps I experimented with reducing the convex edge grime but looking up it seems there are hundreds and just can't face changing them all. The dominance of this grey wood and the grime makes this area seem almost black and white surreal cartoony effect. I like it anyway. I might play with the light more and add more normal messy grime to the walls etc.

To me that looks fantastic! It hides the harsh edges for the bars and looks just soft and nice.

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax