The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

I have this strange impression that Shadowhide just wants us to be ruffians like the TTLG Comm Chat folk or like those crazies over at Quake3world where it's all confrontation all the time.

no I think he wants us to abandon TDM and go back to making TMA/TDP FM's. That aside...

do you think I can create something better than creating guys with good DR exprience ?

I better finish my Dromed projects

I think his only purpose in learning DR is to prove that his criticisms about poor quality TDM missions are true because he can create better missions himself. Judging only by his use of torch smut as a shadow (its upside-down for chrissakes) I don't see that happening any time soon in terms of visual quality, at the very least.

I was going through the A to Z tutorial and marking up the text and stuff so decided to actually follow the tutorial. So far I'm having lots of fun with this new map.

Nice.

I can hear the christmas carols in that screenie of yours. I like the snow patches next to the window. :ph34r:

I've always wondered how to get such a snow scene to look more... Well.. Freezing.

Maybe switching the ambient light slightly to bluish might help? Do we have frost decals?

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Shadowhide is definitely losing sth in the translation. I think both culturally and technically. I mean to vote poor poor poor on Sotha's latest mission is a joke of course and consistent with the other "outrageous" stuff spouted almost constantly. So while its kind of tired anyway its doubly or triply so because of the translation problems IMO.

Shadowhide offers the same opinions on the Darkfate.ru forums, where the majority seems to be vehemently against the mod for some reason (Google translate is your friend if you don't understand Russian well enough). As for the screenshot he has posted, it needs a ton of work (boxy and simplisitic architecture, nuclear green light in the flowerbed, over-lit scene, badly used torch smut and cobweb decal), but if a good mission comes out of it, I will not be complaining. Those aren't mistakes that can't be fixed with some perseverance and hard work.

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

:laugh: :laugh:

took a browse via google translate to the 130 page TDM thread on darkfate. And what do I find?

Shadowhide Why did you dig into DarkRadiante if you do not like Darkmod?

to show who is boss :biggrin:

To be honest I like darkmod, but I do not like these are vertical, five-meter, or just boring mission

bwahahaha!! an LGS "fanboy" with a superiority complex yet no talent to back it up. how tragic :rolleyes:

Edited by ungoliant

to show who is boss :biggrin:

Ok, next screenshot I'm not going to refrain from being harsh. :rolleyes:

He did say he liked TDM, and he's trying out map making... that's kind of the best case you could ask for. Comments aside, he's better than a fence sitter or nit-picker.

I put my stunna shades on B)

On topic : I'm still working with Melans textures. I may have got a bit too interested in making new normalmaps... by hand... but they do look awesome. No screenshots however as I'm being lazy.

I can't bring myself to read more than one or two pages from that forum. The attitude there is so negative from here and the rest of the thief community in general. It's one thing to argue and offer criticism, but the stuff going on at Darkfate is just so completely negative. Some of them there seem to hold onto some extreme mistrust and resentment toward TDM as a project and the team. It's completely irrational.

I can't bring myself to read more than one or two pages from that forum. The attitude there is so negative from here and the rest of the thief community in general. It's one thing to argue and offer criticism, but the stuff going on at Darkfate is just so completely negative. Some of them there seem to hold onto some extreme mistrust and resentment toward TDM as a project and the team. It's completely irrational.

Fuck them. Honestly? Fuck em' with a spoon, and a rusty one at that. They can sit in their caves throwing poo around, it's not like they're getting any on us.

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Again, the interview would be quite a Popcorn munching affair...

The opportunities for absurd humor, red-herrings, non-sequitors, conspiracy theory, and plain ole rivalry drama are almost endless.

"Amidst our brood of diverse mission authors we have a habitual dissenter. He comes from the other side of the internet in a Russian forum, Darkfate.ru where members regularly share their antipathy towards our project. Shadowhide is his name and he has anointed himself with the task of showing other mission authors how to "properly" make a Dark Mod mission (...or prove that this task is impossible?). It's quite an enigma why someone would flaunt this goal in such a confrontational way. Most mission authors who feel that their peers are lacking would simply satisfy their own need and build their own mission rather than throw down the gantlet and provoke the mission making community..."

It's such a great read. The interview could be complete nonsense. The answers could be nonsense. :laugh:

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Can you speak/read russion? If not, I think almost everything might be lost in translation. Here is an example picked randomly:

Zontik: If you put it just about hacks, I have nothing against.
But you're not immediately clarified that, as a result, I realized that you were talking about all the authors of fan missions for TDM.
Sorry, but personally I can not agree with everything done up to this point TDM-mission - trash. All I have not played, but some may not be sufficient with the stars of heaven, but in my opinion, pretty well done and well played decently. You, clearing, someone else might say: for T1 & T2 & T3 there is a lot of missions, it is better to order.
I do not deny it exists. But only so far. Let's wait two or three years to develop and TDM appeared masterpieces?
Suspicions about you in arrogance: his suspicion shoot and I apologize to you if touched. Tell me a secret which TDM-mission lay your opinion on TDM in general?

I have no idea if this is positive, or negative, or whatever, I can barely make out what they are talking about. Here in the forums we have already a lot of difficulties when Germans and British people talk in English (frequent misunderstandings happen), let alone differences between personalities and this is all made more difficult by the "text-only" medium.

(Edit: I have read a few more posts there, and it is clear, even with Google translate, that there are some people who refer to TDM simply as "shit" and this with no explanation as to "why". I think we can safely discount their "opinions", so NH, you are probably right. Not worth reading there, even tho I think, there might be some positive criticism hidden somewhere...)

Reading the discussion as poorly translated googlespeak - oh well, I would not count on this giving any results :)

Btw, I think we (at this point in time) already proofed the world "yes we can", we delivered 1.0 (despite alot of people being sceptical - which is highly understandable as you see (number just arbitrarily pulled out of my nether regions) 95% of all mods simply fail before 1.0). We also delivered 1.01, 1.02 and we put so many things into the upcoming v1.03, that all is just plain amazing.

So we can (and should be) proud, and use that energy to deliver v1.03 and then go onwards, deliver v1.04, v2.0, and go beyond idTech4, and D3, even. We don't even have to make FMs, or persuade people to make them - I am sure that the FM authors will deliver their part, anyway, as long as we put out better versions of TDM. (They might even do this if the entire TDM team dropped dead tomorrow - just look how many T1, T2 and T3 Fms are out there).

So lets look int the future, not into what other people say about us or out work. (Esp. as these people often confuse TDM with the FMs produced for TDM. But I digres :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax