The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Played around with some new techniques.

Few Patches + light =

7736445.png

Once I got ingame and looked at it I could just... Stare at it without blinking.

The scene is so simple, yet still so.. Interesting.

I still cannot get my eyes off it.

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Played around with some new techniques.

Few Patches + light =

Once I got ingame and looked at it I could just... Stare at it without blinking.

The scene is so simple, yet still so.. Interesting.

I still cannot get my eyes off it.

WOW :wub:

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

You work for AMD, Nvidia, or Intel, don't you Johannes?

You are practically forcing TDM players to buy new hardware :laugh:

(I really hope I can play your FM with my crappy PC ^_^ )

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

You work for AMD, Nvidia, or Intel, don't you Johannes?

You are practically forcing TDM players to buy new hardware :laugh:

(I really hope I can play your FM with my crappy PC ^_^ )

give me all your money...cool.gif

nope...what you see is 1 ! patch and some plants, water+ lights but i know how to use this one patch ^^

Edited by Johannes Burock

Man, that's awesome! If you're not going to finish it, you should definitely let someone else have a go at completing it!

awesome work guys, amazing stuff! here is my own contribution for the great patch-off 2011:

patchesa.jpg

bargeboards! and circular window, thats made out of patches too, but the window was a lot easier to make and align than those damn bargeboards. well worth the effort though B)

yes, the white stone is a placeholder. theres really no white wood in TDM at the moment except for a lattice texture that serpentine designed, but it doesn't work very well by nature for the bargeboard. some white painted board texture would be ideal, but as yet none exists and i have no experience/talent for textures *shrug*

after looking on some old maps again here an impression of one of my never finished first try maps...

Wow, wow you should turn that into a playable map! :wub:

(Also, we really need to up the resolution of that wood texture (the one on the beams), it is our most-used texture and the blotchy pixel stand out glaringly against the rest of the higher resolution textures.)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

bargeboards! and circular window, thats made out of patches too, but the window was a lot easier to make and align than those damn bargeboards. well worth the effort though B)

Those bargeboards may even make for a good prefab - or texture model. They look very reusable.

[edit]What was I thinking?![/edit]

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

by the way, i think these caves are much easyer to create than other things ( f e broken parts of a bridge, trim...)

dont know how sotha think about but it is only a cylinder with additional rows and cols and then a more or less random point pushing...

i think for a newbie, what i was with patches to this time of cavecreation, it is very simpel.

the real mastery is to have a broken trim which cons of 5 patches on its own and the braking point itself also of 3 or 4 patches...

right?

edit:

post-3575-130080689052_thumb.jpg

this is what i mean ONLY the DAMAGED parts are 12 patches...and to fit this is th hard way..

Edited by Johannes Burock

Johannes, the video reminded me a lot of that Thief 1 mission, where you enter the Hammerite castle through the mines. Anyway, very atmospheric and beautiful. I really hope one of the other heavyweights (like Sotha or Fidcal, for example) will grab that map and finish it. I sense a lot of potential here.

My Eigenvalue is bigger than your Eigenvalue.

I think it'd be neat to see it finished. It is very impressive for a "first try". A few more small missions, even in very small sizes, would also do the mod good. Large ones (like I am working on) are impressive, but they have a huge development cycle, which means people get fewer missions as builders are tied down. I'd make one or two, except, well, what I am working on will occupy me for a while yet, and I have less time for editing than I used to a few years ago, so I have to use that time very efficiently. :wacko:

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved