The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

no critisism...but on the pic you have a round arch and on the other one sharp ended ones...these are two different parts of construction history /eras...romanic and gothic. if it is in one building it could be contradictory. Dont know if somebody of you play a game under this point of view (?)

in reallity you nearly never find a mixed building.

i know i never give a good word...iam more a conditioner...i give advices ^^

Edited by Johannes Burock

Well...

There have been buildings that we retrofit or modified during different eras but the changes would usually be contrasted enough where you could easily say "this was added in a later era".

I like the corridor but the floor texture scale looks a little off to me (my preference would be a slightly smaller scale.) It just looks a little out-of-proportion. HappyCheeze has some similar sizing\scales in some of his WIP screenshots so perhaps it looks better in-game.

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

Meh, nothing impressive there at all. Just a hallway lacking any personality or character.

boom, finishing move xD. That was very...direct. edit: have now seen the org. discussion in the other thread...

and to the diffferent arches: yes there are rebuild buildings but if it is a castle (and it looks like) its very untypical. old castles which were datroyed were not rebuild in later eras because the military benefit wasnt very high...how i sid its a little fussy but a little point of perfection in realism...

edit: yes its fantasy...how i said: dont mnow if somebody realize this "problem" at all. And i think feeling in game is more intensive (for me) if such general things are realistic.

Edited by Johannes Burock

I'd say any architectural quirk is free for authors to exploit.:laugh:

I'm glad someone else has this point of view. I am working out some elaborate windows for my mansion and have been drawing off of images from edwardian, victorian, gothic, medieval, etc. Doesn't really bother me that some of the time periods or styles are mixed at all. I'm looking just to create an effect that "looks good" :)

Edited by ungoliant

Just browsing the Darkfate.ru I noticed they have screenshots of my old WIP cave map. Wow, haven't worked on that in a while (>1 year I think)

hm... i could swear that i even saw a youtube video of this map a long time ago... but maybe i'm wrong.

however, looks really interesting! but also looks like it would be impossible to play this map with acceptabel fps... blink.gif

hm... i could swear that i even saw a youtube video of this map a long time ago... but maybe i'm wrong.

however, looks really interesting! but also looks like it would be impossible to play this map with acceptabel fps... blink.gif

There is a youtube video:

The sound is a little screwed up.

@Shadowhide, yeah it's a custom model, I'm not that patient for all that patchwork but in hindsight it might have been better. Maybe if I could seperate the tree into multiple models it would help.....

I always assumed I'd taste like boot leather.

Monsterclip?

I asked the same question long ago. Monsterclip is not the answer; the ai sees through it.

Back then the answer was never found, but I got around the problem:

I had prisoners in the cells, which only should be killed if they're outside the cell. It was done by changing AI team when they are released.

Hopefully your issue is fixable with alternate approach, I never found a texture which AI cannot see through but the player can..

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Dayyyyyym :angry:

I have a brightly lit place and would like to be unseen by the AI even if I'm not in total darkness. There are some crates and stuff in the way, but the AI has too sharp eyes that sees through the tiniest gap...The purpose is to be able to see the AI through those gaps without drawing unrealistic attention...

Well, it's a neat thing to add to the mod in the future, if it's implementable...A material called AI_vision_block or something like that...

In the meantime I'll just have to add more boxes...

Edited by Fieldmedic

saw something interesting on overgrowth relating to AI seeing the player. apparently in that game AI see the player based on random raytracing inside the AI's FOV. It doesn't see everything inside of fov, but just shoots out random rays. if a gap is infintessimily small, there is practically no chance that the AI would see the player through it except by pure blind luck that a ray would trace through the gap. I doubt anything like this would be possible in TDM until opensource though.

edit: if something like this could be achieved, i feel that tdm could benefit heavily, and maybe not just from AI, but from how lights illuminate the player as well.

Edited by ungoliant

Can you tie the lightgem modifier ( inv_lgmodifier ) to an info_location separator?

Another option might be to invoke one of these Cvars:

Useful while mapping/testing/designing

• tdm_ai_sight_scale This is the distance that is multiplied by the lightquotient from the LAS and visual acuity of the AI scaled from 0 to 1, that indicates how far away the AI can be and see a location (default 1000.0)
  • tdm_ai_sight_thresh This is the minimum light per AI frame generated visual stimilus amount required for an AI to see the player or entity directly while searching (default 1.0)
  • tdm_ai_sightmin The distance which an AI has a 100% chance of seeing you with a fullbright light gem. Effects visibility in a complicated way (default 11.0)
  • tdm_ai_sightmax The distance (in meters) above which an AI will not see you even with a fullbright lightgem. Effects visibility in a complicated way (default 60.0)
  • tdm_ai_sight_mag Modifies the amount of visual alertthat gets added on when the sight probability check succeeds and the AI do see you (default 1.0)
  • tdm_ai_sight_prob Chance of AI seeing you. set to 0 to make AI blind (default 0.7 at time of this writing)

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Cvars

...or possibly even directly change clampVal (the actual lightgem value)?

http://wiki.thedarkmod.com/index.php?title=Visual_scan

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)