The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

I made a whirlpool for a river/lake/pond which was very simple to make and works quite well. But it is extremely hard to see among streaming clear water. So now I'm about to unpack the .mtr file for the water textures and figure out how to piece together a new .mtr to make streaming water more opaque, or make one of the other water textures into a streaming one.

Progress... I modified the glowing cave water stream to use the water_green texture. That worked pretty well, especially in combination with a light source in the middle of the vortex. A little bit of tweaking to do and I'll have a rather nice looking whirlpool.

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

here a pic of my insertion project:

<snip>

Oh wow. Almost like Rocksbourg, recreated for TDM. Maybe you ought to repost it on TTLG as well... in the what are you working on thread.

Edited by Melan

Come the time of peril, did the ground gape, and did the dead rest unquiet 'gainst us. Our bands of iron and hammers of stone prevailed not, and some did doubt the Builder's plan. But the seals held strong, and the few did triumph, and the doubters were lain into the foundations of the new sanctum. -- Collected letters of the Smith-in-Exile, Civitas Approved

@SP, ah but remember the rules alowed the use of prebuilt sections of maps and prefabs. What I have done is spent a weeks merging and streamlining about a dozen, very old maps that given to me by Flanders (the guy who built the trianing mission), so yes I have done a shed load of work, but the basic archtechture was already inplace etc.

@SP, ah but remember the rules alowed the use of prebuilt sections of maps and prefabs. What I have done is spent a weeks merging and streamlining about a dozen, very old maps that given to me by Flanders (the guy who built the trianing mission), so yes I have done a shed load of work, but the basic archtechture was already inplace etc.

I know Flanders' stuff. He's very talented on mapping. Good luck then.

• 2 weeks later...

So here is a new screen of the same scene I posted some pages before. Some things changed because I wasn't too happy with the old building you could see on the left. Some of the buildings look familiar because I tried to create something similiar to some buildings from Dragon's Claw, Return to the City, Training Mission etc but please don't be too harsh. This is just some kind of learning process and I learn many things by looking at other maps. It's still not optimized with visportals because it's just this little street and some buildings around the corner and I change things often. Also the lights are not final.

Edit: I'm sorry. I tried to get the picture uploaded using the old and the new uploader but I always get an internal server error or the upload keeps getting skipped. I uploaded it at pictureupload.de:

091111194340_City2.jpg

Edited by Seuchensoldat
  • Like 1

Looks terrific Seuchensoldat!

It certainly stands-up well against the other city missions visually.

No need to fear any harsh words from me :wub:

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

That looks very pleasing to me! The only critism I'd have is that the brick archs on the windows are a bit to much sticking out. (And as they are textured, the front row of bricks would fall of :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

Nice. You've got non-square angles all over the place, and without any z-fighting that I can see.

Really visibly interesting when mappers do that.

What do you see when you turn out the light? I can't tell you but I know that it's mine.

and two pics from me:

http://www.pictureup...20-28-40-18.jpg

http://www.pictureup...20-27-57-50.jpg

edit: i also cant upload anything here

One word: *drooool*

Also,@Seuchensoldat: You have very interesting geometry, silouettes and design. I really like it, too! Cozy, warm athmosphere on that street!

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

You know how they blame video games for copy-cat behavior?

Johannes is gonna make me steal some loot so I can buy a better rig to play his mission.

Drooling till dehydrated into sand. :laugh:

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)