The Dark Mod Forums

So, what are you working on right now?

Springheel

Great find Baddcog, good luck with the porting work. To Theothesnopp, liked that castle and the stone detail on the windows, but I suggest you consider adding a brighter, dark blue color to your outside, give it more of a moon shine feel. Loads of nice work around here.

I fixed the performance for my river side scene. I narrowed it down to my naughty group of pagans (the same ones seen in the beginning of Samhain Night). I moved them away from the river to an area more appropriate for them to be (along with the wench-in-distress). Now the river has a much more "normal" frame rate and the story I'm working on makes even more sense. Still contemplating a screenshot...

A little sneak peak at TDM's very first redwood trees (yes, I know they don't exist in Europe, but the game is fantasy, is it not?).

Brightness enhanced to show details:

post-3285-0-92871800-1321857107_thumb.jpg

post-3285-0-84400900-1321857109_thumb.jpg

The two standing are little, young trees. You may have noticed the one lying down though... I won't show more of that one yet ;)

Edited by PranQster

System: Mageia Linux Cauldron, aka Mageia 8

The dining hall I've shown before but with a little more detail:

Very impressive. Is that a mild fog light I see there? Keep it in mind that the transition to non-fog areas may be tricky.

I simply love that window grating shadow in the desk... :wub:

Clipper

-The mapper's best friend.

Thanks. Whoever made the textures and objects did a great job.

@SiyahParsomen:

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you explain that a little? Is that good or bad? :)

@_Atti_:

Tweaking colors is a bit difficult on my crappy monitor. But better subtle than too much.

@Sotha:

There's no foglight. And yes, projected lights are awesome.

The screen has image brightening artifacts.

When the levels drop below a certain luminosity, the color resolution is lost. Then when you brighten, you will see severe banding.

The in-game screen-shot tool will worsen this behavior.

The best way to collect screens is to press the "Print Screen \ SysRq" then exit Doom 3 and paste the image into your Image editor...

(Then use the "levels" tool to brighten and tweak with contrast and brightness...)

Edit:

Too many artifacts to properly enhance but it makes a good painting:

dininghall1.jpg

Edited by nbohr1more

Please visit TDM's IndieDB site and help promote the mod:

http://www.indiedb.com/mods/the-dark-mod

(Yeah, shameless promotion... but traffic is traffic folks...)

The dining hall I've shown before but with a little more detail:

Baal, it looks like you used an empty fireplace. Why not use one of the prebuild entities for that?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

@Tels:

Maybe I'll do that. Is there a quick way of setting the fire initially to off (instead of having to define a new light entity)?

There should be an "unlit" version, if not, adding the spawnarg "extinguished" "1" to it should to the trick :)

(If it looks odd, or has problems, these are fixed in v1.07 which is due realsoonnow[tm] :)

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George Bernard Shaw (1856 - 1950)

"Remember: If the game lets you do it, it's not cheating." -- Xarax

I love the smell of fresh WIP screenshots =-)

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

@stumpy:

I would avoid big, flat, single textured surfaces. Try to break them up a little so texture repetition isn't as noticable.

And you should put some guards there if you haven't done so yet, just to get an idea how the area plays out. It looks like there's a lot of space to avoid AI. There needs to be some challenge.

Pusianka: I'm loving the architecture there!

"No proposition Euclid wrote,

No formulae the text-books know,

Will turn the bullet from your coat,

Or ward the tulwar's downward blow

Strike hard who cares—shoot straight who can—

The odds are on the cheaper man."

From 'Arithmetic on the Frontier' by Rudyard Kipling

Stumpy, if it's indeed a village you are aiming for, from my experience, they are rarely walled like that, specially by such a tall wall, those would be actually impossible to make. There are many little towns that were incorporated by the castles' walls, but medieval urban enviroments (even in TDM's time that is roughly equivalent to baroque) would be pretty much organic, "improvised" kind of settlements, so I would suggest less strict geometry and a healthy dose of disorder to your map, Tears of Saint Lucia town is a beautiful example of that, also a Score to Settle, but they are full blown cities... What kind of village is that? I can see a lot of effort on details and the cemetery is intriguing, I think some references would make it easier for you to think of what to build.